Friday, August 20, 2010

PICU day 2

Slow day today. There is a strange comfort in the hospital that I don't have at home. Ava is monitored up, down and sideways and there are people here to care for her every need. It makes it a little easier to sleep knowing that someone will tell me if something happens.

Ava has spent almost all day sleeping. She is responsive, but not staying awake really at all. The breathing tube was removed at about 2pm, so at least that is not there to bother her anymore. She is quietly talking if she is bothered enough to say, "I want mommy". It's been a pretty rough day. You don't have to be very smart to figure out that the staff here is now transitioned to "let's make her comfortable" instead of "let's get her well". They have all been so kind to us, but I know where they believe we are in the process.

I read the tumor reports tonight. It's big again. It's time that God step in and take it away. I have prayed it a million times today. I know God can do it. I only question whether or not He will. His plans are not always our plan, but I know enough to want to be a part of His plan, not mine. Ava is His and I have believed it all along. I still believe it. I want her here with us more than anything, but have no idea where God needs her. I can only pray it is here.

She is peaceful and in no pain. That is good. We are trying to get her well enough to get her out of here and to New Jersey to see this doc that has done great things for 2 girls with the same tumor that Ava has. She believes that she can help us, so we are going with that hope. We will continue to fight. This is no time to be tired.

I am at peace tonight, once again knowing that our big God is loving our little girl as she rests. I am praying he will heal her. I know He will. I just want it to be my way.

Please keep praying for Ava. She is a trooper and continues to battle. I'll keep you posted. We are praying for a great day tomorrow that she will be more awake and enjoying not having headaches. Thanks again for being part of her team. Lisa and I are so grateful.

51 comments:

  1. Full of tears and my heart is aching for you. I know God is good. All the time. I know His ways are higher. I don't claim to understand what you are feeling but I claim your cry to Him. I trust Him bc of who He is. I am laying everything at His feet. Lord, hear the prayers and heal sweet Ava. Love you guys, Carey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continuing to pray!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, admire, and respect your family more than I can begin to say. I am praying for you all-- for a BIG miracle for little Ava, and am thrilled to hear that the Dr. in New Jersey is going to see her. I'll be praying for Ava to be rested, strong enough to travel, and for all of the provisions in-between. Lifting you in prayer daily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are heavy on my heart,have been ALL day today....We are parying hard for you and your family...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our hearts are burdened and we are on our knees at our house praying for your family. We pray that Ava recovers quickly to make the trip to NJ for complete healing and that you all continue to have wisdom and complete trust in the One who will carry your family through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for sweet Ava!

    A friend in Nashville, Tn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My faith is stronger because of you and your family. Bless you all and may Gods love envelope you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please God, I trust that you as our great Healer will take away Ava's ugly tumor. I trust in doctors and their training to do what is right, but I have FAITH in you to do what is POSSIBLE!

    Grant Ava, Noah, Lisa and Josh your peace and rest tonight and as you heal Ava sufficiently for her trip to NJ. I know that 'you have their backs' and will protect them at this painful time.

    With love and constant prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying Ava gets strong enough to go to NJ. My heart is so heavy for you all....I pray you feel the peace only God can give.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I heard Brennan Manning speak about 5 years ago. (I believe he spoke at Northland?) He said something that has stayed with me the last 5 years and has brought me tremendous comfort through much confusion, pain, and loss. He said that our greatest gift back to God is our unconditional trust in Him. Additionally, I heard another believer say that he would rather have a God to trust than a plan to follow. I have seen much loss over the last few years, but not nearly as much as others. I certainly cannot relate to being the parent of a precious little girl battling for her life. What I can say is that I have much greater trust in Him now than I did prior to my losses. I know I will encounter more losses - but I know I will also encounter more of Him. I do ask a sovereign and majestic God to heal Ava. You are right - He certainly can whether he does so through natural or supernatural agency. However, I ask Him to give you, Lisa, and the entire family increased strength and comfort that He is with you in rich and present measure - and that you have increasing peace in Him and His ways with Ava. Again, I can't imagine the depth of your anguish - but I know the One who can.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not a moment goes by, day or night, that my family and I are not thinking about and praying for Precious Ava & for all of you!! Thank you so much for your updates that are written from the depth of your soul. I look forward to them every day, because I care more than I can ever express in words about what Ava, you, and your family are going through. I can't even imagine how much your love, faith, & trust in God touches His Heart as you are enduring indescribable heartache. You are such a wonderful, godly family!! We are crying out to the Lord with you for Beautiful Ava and for all that each of you are going through on a moment by moment basis!! We love and care for Ava & the whole family with all of our hearts, truly beyond words!! With all our love & prayers always, Dawn, Paula, & Ralph DiBari

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's hard to sleep knowing the pain and hurt that you and your family are enduring. May God heal her completely and bring comfort to your family while doing so. Praying for your continued strength and renewal in Him each and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Josh-
    You have taught me another lesson about faith. You and Lisa are such wonderfully awesome parents. I'm encouraged by you both as you take this walk with Ava and The Lord. You are giving Him the glory every step of the way. Everything you say is so true. God can heal her and we are praying it is your way as well. No matter what, we know His way is the best way and I'm so glad you are feeling peace knowing that. Still praying for a trip to New Jersey and the awesome miracle you need. God has you all in His loving arms and He is so good.
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  14. You don't know me and I don"t know you but I have been praying. There is an old song..."he's always there, he's always there, Jesus is always here. He satisfies, my need supplied, Jesus is always here". In our darkest of nights he holds us. As I too have watched someone I love more then myself struggle with pain of sickness, my heart cried out, why? How? How can a God who is loving allow this? This is not a time for spiritual debate but of true heartfelt pain. Where are you God? You know where I found him? Lying on my bathroom floor with nothing left in me to give...he was there. Holding me. His peace, I can not explain. But this peace has lasted me and stayed with me. Forget the church, though we need them, forget the religious talk of people who mean well but have never felt the kind of pain, that when writers speak of heartache they mean that your heart truly does feel like its going to break into a million tiny pieces. No, right now it's you, your family and Jesus and the millions of prayers going out to God for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We're praying for Jesus to heal Ava because we know he is able! Jerry & Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Josh for taking the time to update us on Ava's condition. I start everyday by checking your blog. Your testimony of faith sets the tone for my quiet time. I'm in awe of the way you are handling this situation. I can't begin to know how you must feel. When I try, I can't sleep at night. It is quite obvious that you were raised by extraordinary parents. Please know that you and Lisa are such a huge inspiration. You are effecting the way people pray, the way they hug their children, the way they trust, but most importantly...their faith in God.
    Will contrinue to pray for a miracle...strength for the trip...and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds all too familiar. I found great comfort in the ICU waiting room. I ate, slept and had all my conversations with fam, friends and the docs there during Katlin's stay in the ICU. Its where I received all the good news and bad news. I spent an entire month there. There was something cozy and warming about it. Katlin was very sick at that time. We honestly had actually come to the conclusion that she was dying and that the inevitable would happen sooner than later. We did not want to hear people telling us, "She will be fine". I knew they were lying and just wanted me to feel better. Little did I know, I'd soon find out they were actually telling the truth! She could not do anything for herself and could barely sit up in a wheelchair. When we first took her to Natalia, she could barely sit in the chair to do a foot detox and her skin was bluish. Katlin's tumor didn't grow at all, but it was a golf ball sized one growing directly on the brainstem(the most vital organ in the body). I am praying to GOD that he heals Ava. Even if its only enough to make the trip up to NJ. Only God knows the outcome at this point. We are praying he will let us all keep her here on earth. Imagine how many lives she will touch if he does! She will have an amazing story to tell if he let's her stay for a while. We are praying for miraculous things. I hope I was able to share part of our story to give you a little hope for today. God is a good God and only he can fix this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi
    you don't know me but I have been reading your blog through Marylee mccaffreys facebook page. I live in nj and have some connections with drs and hospitals here. What hospital are you going to?
    If there is anything you need during your stay up here
    please contact me
    melissasarsten@hotmail.com
    praying!!!
    M

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your Aunt Sheila and I have been praying with you and we"re not about to stop. The news on your blog - filtered through ten thousand thoughts you've sorted throughout your day - helps us. Knowing something about your personal process reassures us that we're in lock-step with you and Lisa. As difficult as it is to carve out time to post an update, it brings us closer and helps us pray. You are a great man Josh. Lisa is a wonderful mom.
    Ava could not have a better dad and mom.
    I'm proud of you.
    - Uncle Mark

    ReplyDelete
  20. I believe as Ava sleeps that the Lord Jesus is cradling her in his arms and stroking her and kissing her and telling her everything is going to be alright.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Josh,
    Our hearts go out to you and your family. We are praying for God to keep Ava without pain and to heal her from this monster. We have a Big God and as you said He can do it. Your faith is amazing and I know you are touching so many lives including mine. So many people are lifting Ava and your family up to the Lord and we will stay diligent in our efforts. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Josh and Lisa:

    The devotional today from The Purpose Driven Life is so relevant to this rough situation:

    Sometimes God says 'not yet'
    Posted by Rick Warren

    You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised. For in just a very little while, "He who is coming will come and will not delay." Hebrews 10:36-37 (NIV)

    "If you're discouraged, turn it around by remembering God teaches you patience during delay."

    If you're discouraged because of God's delay in answering your prayers, understand the delay is NOT a denial. Just because the answer or the miracle hasn't come - yet - that doesn't mean God isn't going to answer or that he's forgotten you or that he doesn't care about you. It simply means "not yet!"

    Part of becoming spiritually mature is learning the difference between "no" and "not yet," between a denial and a delay. The Bible tells us, "He who is coming will come and will not delay" (Hebrews 10:37 NIV).

    God's delay may be a test of your patience. Anybody can be patient once. And, most people can be patient twice. And, a lot of us can be patient three times. So God tests our patience over and over and over.

    Why? So he can see how patient you are? No!

    He does it so you can see how patient you are. So you'll know what's inside you, and you'll be able to know your level of commitment. God tests you so that you can know he is faithful, even if the answers you seek are delayed.

    If you're discouraged, turn it around by remembering God teaches you patience during delay. Ask him to transform your discouragement into patience.

    You may be going through difficult times right now. You're discouraged because the situation you face seems unmanageable, unreasonable, or unfair.

    It may seem unbearable and inside you're basically saying, "God, I can't take it anymore. I just can't take it anymore!"

    But you can.

    You can stay with it longer because God is with you. He'll enable you to press on. Remember, you are never a failure until you quit. Resist discouragement and finish the race God has set before you.

    Hope this is encouraging to your and your family. Praying without ceasing for your entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Heavy hearts release bold prayers. Praying boldly and trusting what I know about our God, that He is good, that He is strong and that He is faithful. - Ginny Lawley

    ReplyDelete
  24. If God knew (and our Faith tell us He did) this was in Ava's future He showed his most amazing grace placing her in the family he did - parents, brother, uncles, aunts, grandparents, Summit, Northland, and countless other church families that are in some way connected to the Hunter family. When I can find nothing else to be grateful to God for in this situation, i find great thankfulness in that. Still praying, trusting, hoping...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jehovah Jireh my provider
    His grace is sufficient for me
    For me, for me
    Jehovah Jireh my provider
    His grace is sufficient for me

    The Lord shall provide all my needs
    According to His riches in Glory
    The Lord shall provide Himself a lamb for sacrifice
    Jehovah Jireh takes care of me
    Of me, of me

    Jehovah Jireh my provider
    His grace is sufficient for me
    For me, for me
    Jehovah Jireh my provider
    His grace is sufficient for me

    The Lord shall provide all my needs
    According to His riches in Glory
    The Lord shall provide Himself a lamb for sacrifice
    Jehovah Jireh takes care of me
    Of me, of me
    We are praying the Lord will hold you all in His hands.
    The Johnson's

    ReplyDelete
  26. Praying for Ava, Noah, Lisa and Josh.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear Josh,

    I can think of no words that adequately articualte my heart to your's and Lisa's ache except six:

    "Abba have mercy; Christ have mercy" And even then, I cannot lighten your overwhelming ache that wells up like a hidden and unrelenting spring...the Spirit groans as you weep.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Josh Lisa & Noah, my heart hurts so much for yall. As your father taught me a long time ago sometimes you just pray for dragstic change, whatever that may be , he told me God will show me, and God did. My family and I start off each day and end each day praying for yall.
    We might never undersatnd why all this Crap happens but I am with you on knowing that He is Great and Mighty and He is the only one who knows where all this is leading. One thing I do know for sure is how Ava and your family have brought a Nation to the Knee's in prayer which means 1 God 1 Nation . Ava's brave little soul has touched thousands around the world and that is part of God's will for her . We will continue to pray for you and your family every day..God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  29. Luke 18:1 Always pray and not give up. My firstborn was in hospital at 5 months and had to have a spinal tap. My 22 yr old twin son was killed by hit n run 4 years ago. Yet, in all this agony and suffering, I cannot truly feel and understand the depths of hurt you and Ava are going through.
    All I know is that your family has deeply touched our family and we pray and cry for you daily and nightly. God has a plan and will carry it out in HIS own time. We are praying that time gives your little sunshine more fruitful years on earth to love you back. A child is a precious commodity of love and pleasure to a parent and the whole family hurts when that child hurts. That is what makes a family a whole single unit.
    In your case you are outstretching to make the whole world your family unit and we all hurt for you right now.
    I only pray God will bring peace and serenity and comfort so Ava can again be your bright shining star at night and your warm sunshine during the day.
    I do not think God would have let you find the Dr in NJ if it was not meant to be possible to go there. We will stay with you all the way and keep you and your family lifted up in prayer support. Bless you for sharing with us. Charley & Marilyn Gomes in Tucson AZ

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wrapping you in our hearts and prayers. Praying for God to give you wisdom, strength and courage for whatever lies ahead. Only he can minister to each of you and to Ava exactly what you need. Continually praying for total and complete healing for precious little Ava. Thank you for letting us join in this battle with you.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I read this post with tears in my eyes and praise in my heart. It is a horrific experience to be living through, and you are doing it with such grace. What a testimony you are to the hospital staff and all who read this blog. I continue to lift little Eva and all your family to the Lord in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dear Josh and family,

    If you need anything while you are in NJ, please let us know. I don't know exactly where you are headed but we live in Toms River and would love to help you in any way possible. Joel can get you my email from facebook.

    The Shorey family is praying for you all and especially for Ava.

    ReplyDelete
  33. We have been praying for Ava to wake today and soon be able to make the trip to N Jersey an praying the new doctors will be able to work through our Lord the miracle she is needing!We are all growing in so many ways with you through this very difficult time and we are standing in the gap for your precious family! Be strong in the Lord, courageous and faithful to him as we march forward in the battle for Ava!

    Lisa & Jim Hughes & Marissa Crismon

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yesterday, for the second time since you started blogging on Ava, I went to bed without reading your blog. At the first time, you indeed did not write that day ;). And yesterday, when I went to your Uncle's Mark blog (It became one of may daily readings as well :) and read your mom's comment on his last night post, I wrongly thought you would not have the time or strengh to update us...I myself felt so worn out, I immediately turned to God and prayed for Ava, Lisa, Noah, Mrs. Becky, Dr. Joel, you, me and all the "Hunters"...and also for our extended Family in Christ...
    and His words came to me:

    “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28

    “Be still and know that I am God.” Psalm 46:10

    And for some reason I wanted to know more about "be still". And I did what your father always do, went to Hebrew dictionary, the word for still in Hebrew is Rapah and it has many synonyms for , such as to relax, to be idle, slack, lazy; but one stood out to me: to be weak. And then, I got the message...I was on my knees and crying, I surrendered to him and prayed that we would never forget that: HE IS GOD...and it is always HIS WAY...and I prayed that Ava healing would be part of His plan...

    Right now, I thank God for your writing. HIS presence in this journey IS SO UNDOUBTABLE...

    MAY OUR FATHER ALWAYS BE WITH YOU!!!! HAVE A BLESSED DAY!!! I am praying praying praying :)
    GOD IS GOOD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am praying for your precious little angel, Ava. Please start saying the healing scriptures from the bible that cured Dodie Olsteen from liver cancer and me from a brain tumor. As you say them it will comfort your family and put all your faith and trust in The Lord and the Lord will take care of your family. God loves everyone. You should also look into the Ambrotose by Mannatech. God Bless You.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I continue to pray for you and your family many times a day and have confidence in God's plans for Ava and for you. Thank you for sharing this part of your earthly journey. God is touching many lives through you. Praying that you feel God's steadfast and loving presence every minute of your waking and your sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  37. My Prayers are with AVA and the family that she is heal. God will come through in his own time, not ours.
    But in Heaven there is no tomorrow it's always today.. So just keep praying and I will do the same.
    Trudy

    ReplyDelete
  38. Josh- As I read your blog last night before I went to bed, I said, " Why, Lord, does your precious, innocent child Ava & the faithful family you chose for her have to endure this? " I know that in your Word you tell us that " your ways & thoughts are higher than ours & that all your ways are perfect, " but it's just hard for mortal man to comprehend. After I went to sleep, I kept waking up & each time, tha Lord was saying, " Remember my servant Job." So as I turned to Job today, I read, "Though he slay me,yet I will hope in him." Job 13:15. " He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted." Job 9:10. "I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted." Job 42;2. I am so inspired by you & Lisa, & also by your faithful bloggers.The many heartfelt messages move me to tears. I cannot help thinking that the Lord is looking down from the heavens & witnessing obedience on the part of the body of Christ, "Carry each others burdens & in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." Gal.6:2 I am praying, trusting, & believing.

    ReplyDelete
  39. a continuance of thought and prayers for Ava, the Family and friends

    ReplyDelete
  40. Can't stop thinking about or praying for all of you, especially Ava. May she heal quickly and be able to head up to NJ. I am so happy for you that you know where hope is found...not in a hospital or with one particular doctor...but with our Lord who can and does perform miracles!

    Always praying...always believing...

    ReplyDelete
  41. Josh -

    Our family has been praying for your family non-stop. I am thankful for your family's strong faith through this. There are people who say they can't believe in a God who allows bad things to happen to good people, and allows bad things to happen to children. Although I certainly have questions for God about that, I can't imagine not having God in the picture. If bad things happened without a Good and Just God to redeem them, then the bad things would happen in vain, and that would be hopeless. But because we serve a Living, Loving, Good, and Just God, it is not hopeless, even though we do not always understand. I certainly do not understand why God has your family going through this, but I trust Him, and will continue to pray for you, Ava, Lisa, Noah, and your whole family, and for a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Our family has prayed for you all and continues to pray. As a father of two daughters, my own prayer is for you Josh. It's hard to be that steady, strong father when it is your child who is hurting - I pray that you and your faith will not waiver and that your family sees God when they see you. I pray that God will bring you comfort in this and in turn, you can bring comfort to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I can only say how much I am amazed by you and Lisa and your family!!!! Praying always and especially for the NJ doctor's input and trip!! Praying for good days and blessed rest!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I will continue to keep Ava and your family and the doctors in my prayers. I hope that God's plan is to make Ava feel better so that she can travel to New Jersey and meet the doctors there. I'm not giving up on my hope and I know that many others won't give up, either. Ava is a fighter and she is surrounded by fighters, I will pray that God continues to give His fighters strength for this battle.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Josh,
    I attend GCC and serve in the childrens ministry. I think about Ava and your family alot. I pray for her often. Thank you for the updates. Your faithfulness is encouraging and a reminder of how great He is.
    Grace and Peace,

    B.Miller

    ReplyDelete
  46. Could you guys have her flown to NJ on a medical flight? And if you get up the energy you should ready Mary Beth Chapmans book Choosing to SEE....it is amazing, inspiring. Praying that God will heal Ava and give you all a continued strength and peace that comes from him only. Blessings, Jenny in Indiana

    ReplyDelete
  47. When I found out about Ava through many caring Northland folk, my heart was saddened greatly and I began to pray right away for God's peace to be with you all!
    From hearing the story of my sisters death at age 3.5yrs and me being 1yr, I can only know a little of how that would feel, having been told the story by my folks. While at my Grandma's funeral recently, my Mother spoke on how she and Dad did not understand God's plan at the time of Gina's death, yet God still did a miracle through it. As my parents searched for a deeper knowing of who God was and what He had for them, they started over spiritually from Catholicism to Christianity through new neighbors they met after relocating. They now tell everyone how they KNOW that God used this situation to bring them and BOTH sides of their families to a closer walk with God. Basically, everyone who was Catholic, yelling at them, not understanding why they left that religion, soon knew why, as they too found God in a newfound light. We even have Born Again Catholics in the fam now. ;)
    With all that being said,it's been an amazing journey and "we never know God's ultimate plan but have to find a way to trust Him in the midst of the storm." My prayers are continuously with you all for a total healing for your sweet little Ava! God Bless You! Charlotte Heart

    ReplyDelete
  48. Maybe that doctor can come down here??? If we all pitched in and flew him here to see her??? If that would work, please let us know, and we could raise money to get him here. Please let us know what we can do...Our prayers are with all of you.

    ReplyDelete