Sunday, August 22, 2010

Going home tomorrow?

I think we are headed home tomorrow. Ava has made good progress from the surgery and, while tired, is generally feeling better. I am grateful for being able to leave and cautious about the days ahead. It is like each day is its own maze as we weave through fear, confidence, stress and relief only to wake up the next day and start at the beginning again. I have no doubt that God is who He says He is, but I sometimes wonder if I am who he needs me to be.

I give Him my little girl each day and so far He gives her back to me. But, like Abraham before me I wonder if I'll have to have to follow through on my gift. I didn't prepare for this journey, but somehow God continues to give Lisa and I what we need to make it through. The journey is rough and fraught with peril and fear, but God doesn't let go of my hand. I feel Him with me everyday. I know He has Ava. I just want Him to have her here with me, too.

Pray for us. The weeks ahead are sure to be taxing. Lots of unknown. But, truth be told, no more than ever. I am just more aware. I am more aware that God controls the fate of us all, and that includes Ava.

I will rest tonight, worn out from the last few days...but I need strength to make it through this journey that in its best case has no end in sight.

We are grateful to have all of you walk with us. Lisa and I read every note that comes in. We draw a lot of strength from your prayers and encouragement.

Keep it up. I'm tired so I need you to not be.

Thank you, friends.

63 comments:

  1. Praying that she will be able to come home tomorrow and that you will be able to get her to NJ very soon.
    Praying for Ava and for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh, you are absolutely the man God needs you to be. He wouldn't have it any other way. You and Lisa are perfect parents in your intentional surrender of Ava into His hands. I'm on the other side of the world and will be praying all day as you sleep through the night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are a part of the body lifting you up daily, dear family. Prayers for Ava are made around the world, so even when you are all sleeping...you are being prayed for!
    ~Kelli King Bock & Family~

    ReplyDelete
  4. God has not let you, your family and sweet Ava stray too far from the forefront of my mind and thoughts since I found about your blog through a friend on Facebook the yesterday. I am praying for you all and have asked for prayers from the prayer warriors at our church, Destiny Worship Center (Destin, FL) as well.
    Tonight we had the opportunity to see Michael W. Smith in concert and several times during the very Spirit filled, worshipful evening, the Lord brought you to mind and you all were lifted up in prayer.
    Just loving you all and trusting God for a full fledged, radical miracle.
    Warmly,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never tired when thinking about or praying for all of you. Know that you can rely on Avabina's prayer team to lift you all up on high to Him. We are with you every step of the way!

    Standing in agreement with Jordan, you are without a doubt the man, husband and father that God wants you to be because you are obedient to His will. Your obedience is an example for us all-- hope in the face of tremendous despair. Hoping and praying always, with extra at Northland every Monday night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just as God made Ava, he made you. He made YOU her daddy. He made Lisa her mommy. Not anyone else. She is your gift. And you are hers. You know she would pick NO others.

    With that...know I am up- you can rest. I can't until I read your blog. Somehow it gives me peace. Gives me direction and focus. It helps me pray. I sigh often, shake me head but then give it all back to Him. He wants to carry it. To have it. He will carry the load and give you rest. And I will continue trusting him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. K, Josh and Lisa. I'm writing because you asked us to. I'm writing because you said you need our strength. I'm writing because I want you to know that Ava is ministering to so many of us who may never reach out to you, but remain eternally changed because of your faith during your daughter's journey. We watch the video vignettes, read the blog updates and follow on facebook. We pray...and our hearts are changed. Our perspectives are changed. Our families are changed. Our lives are changed...Because of Ava. If Jehovah Rapha chooses to heal her, praise Him! If her Abba Father chooses to call her home, praise Him! Know in your hearts, that what ever God's will is for Ava's life, His purpose for her life is already being fulfilled. We are all a little closer to Jesus because of her...and because of you and your family. Thank you and may God continue to bless you for sharing your precious hearts and lives with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My thoughts and prayers are with Ava often throughout the days.. I can't stop thinking about her, and praying that she makes it to NJ and embarks on the road to health.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not commented before, but I have been praying for Ava and for you and Lisa and Noah since the day of her surgery. God holds all of you in his hands and my prayers are for all of you to have His strength and for Him to decide that Ava needs to be with you. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Josh, I love your honesty. Be assured that God is already using your story to bring people to Himself. And, be glad you are weak and tired.

    "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Cor. 12)

    Loving you and your fam,
    Beth Mengel Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am praying for Ava, and for all of you. I hope to hear she is up here in NJ very soon and experiencing God's healing right here on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You, Ava, and your family continue to touch us and do exactly what your Dad teaches us to do: make this world a little more like Heaven. That is why we are still here. There is still a purpose and He is guiding the way. Do rest Josh, He's got ya and so many of us continue to be prayer warriors through all hours of the night because you and sweet little Ava have touched our lives in such a powerful way. We'll be here and so will He! Praying for a night of rest for all and Ava to feel better and be ready for her journey to NJ.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey josh-

    i'm sure you've got things squared away for your eventual trip to NJ, but if you need ANYTHING at all (ride from/to the airport, place to stay in NJ or NYC, etc.), please let me know. i would be honored to be able to help in some way. my cell is 859.312.2190.

    praying for you all-
    john black

    ReplyDelete
  14. My prayer for your family today at Northland was for the Lord to show His mercy to you in the smallest of ways: in a flower, in a smile, in a touch, in a prayer. And when you see Him in these simple ways, it will offer you a small bit of peace, and comfort. My constant prayer is for Ava's healing. And I will always believe in miracles. Never ever, ever give up. God will give you and your family peace as you walk this out...speed bumps, pot holes, and all. We are with you :)

    Leslie Russell

    ReplyDelete
  15. At the evening service your dad swept us away
    with his love; although not there physically, you and Ava,and Lisa and Becky were the most palpably present people in the room -- and so precious to all of us. We are with you every step of the way. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are absolutely who God needs you to be! He hand-picked you to be Ava's Daddy and I'm sure gave you (and Lisa) some very special qualities to be able to endure the situation you've been put in. Your testimony is powerful and I can't help but think of how many people will come to know Christ because of Ava. The honesty with which you write and the Truth which you share so eloquently is inspiring. Thank you for keeping everyone updated through this means.

    Always praying...always believing...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Josh, I too as many others have no doubt you are everything God needs and wants you to be! Lisa,Ava and Noah...God is using you and your family in a MIGHTY way. I feel blessed and honored to read the most raw emotions of a father who is experiencing the worst thing ever. Whoever I just can't keep a thaught out of my head throughout the day when you All come to mind is that God is using the best family ever.. The Hunters, so many people have been touched by God because of it. Praying for you ALL throughout the day everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Josh & Lisa,

    I know that you are processing new information, reality, and emotions everyday and it's overwhelming. I pray throughout the day for Ava and for your family.

    While you're in the midst of this difficult period, you probably aren't aware of the impact that you are having on others. We are watching a man who in the midst of this unexpected situation - has been able to continue to do what is necessary to provide for his family. And we know that it hasn't been easy to get Hunter Vision launched while dealing with a sick child. How many of us may have felt a twinge because we proclaim our lack of time, which is lacking only because we fritter it away? You've been amazing. And Lisa, you have immersed yourself in learning as much as you can on a subject that I'm sure was foreign to you. You both are giving absolutely everything you have because you love Ava and you love Jesus, and it shows. It shows in your character and how you live life.

    For myself, because of what you are going through, and because you are sharing the journey with us, it has profoundly influenced me and made me aware of what excellence looks like. I know that if I was faced with the same set of circumstances I would not be as effective. But rather than stop there, I've asked myself why and I reflect on what you're doing. And I come face to face with an area in my life that I could be doing better, and if it was improved, would better honor God.

    There is a huge "tapestry" that is being woven together as a result of this situation. The final design will not be clear while we're still in our earthly life, but I'm sure it will be incredible.

    Thank you for sharing and I am praying so hard for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Josh- Never doubt that you are who God has specifically planned for you to be, as is Lisa. The Word says your were knit together in your mom's womb and knows each of your days. He knows this day and he knows tomorrow. You can rest in that.

    You are both inspiring to so many as is Ava, and even Noah. I think about you all throughout the day and even was wishing you would begin using Twitter so I wouldn't have to stay up late to hear how Ava is. Trust me, I've never had a desire to read anyone's "Tweets" before. I told my hubby that I was beginning to feel like a blog stalker or something I've been checking it so often. It's good though because it reminds me to pray more frequently.

    Like your own mother, I have 3 boys, except mine are all still little (5 and under). I remember once asking your mom at church if she had any advice for raising boys. She gave me some that I held in my heart. Now, though, as I read your blog I take different advice that wasn't spoken. I see that your parents gave you a gift of faith that is not afraid to share your fears, doubts, worries with the Lord and yet still stand confident that HE is there and HE is working. I hope someday my own boys will have type of faith. You should be very proud of who God has created you to be and what an awesome dad you are to your family. It is obvious that God has blessed you with a wonderul wife.

    We pray daily for that little angel of yours and for each of you individually. I am standing confident in Ava's healing.

    Sue Schutz

    ReplyDelete
  20. Josh and Lisa,

    May God hold you up and enable you to do all that is required of you each day. May your sweet daughter know the comfort of your love and the heavenly Father's. We continue to pray for you all, admittedly not understanding all the "whys" in this, but we have confidence that God will surely meet you every step of the way as you walk this difficult path. He is before you and behind you, and will not leave you.

    Vicki and Don Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  21. "All creatures of our God and King, lift up your voice and to Him sing. Oh praise him. Oh praise Him. Alleluia. Alleluia. Alleluia."

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for this blog it has made me a better person. I am praying for Ava and your whole family everyday as tired as you must be you somehow bring us all strength.

    ReplyDelete
  23. May God Shower Your Family And Ava with All Of His Healing Power, Grace, Strength and Love. I Know That God Hears Our Prayers And I Will Continue To Pray For Total Healing For Ava. Much Love And God's Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  24. TEAM AVA! His words are true, his mercy does not change, his promises are precious, reviving our faith. We will run to Him and not grow weary. Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  25. "The LORD is the everlasting God,
    the Creator of the ends of the earth.
    He will not grow tired or weary,
    and his understanding no one can fathom.

    29 He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak."

    Isaiah 40:28-29

    Josh and Lisa, It is ok to be tired and weary...May you find peace knowing that God will give you strength and power to continue this path as you both have done so far, with hope, faith, and so much love...Hanging in there!!! Praying, praying, praying....Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Josh & Lisa-
    I pray every day, several times a day, that God will give you both what you need to get through this tragic situation. I can not imagine where you are but your faith is astounding to me. You are giving God the praise in the midst of the battle for your little girls life.
    I am so glad that you're feeling our prayers and please continue to rely on us, with The Lord guiding us, to help you through this.
    Love in Christ-
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  27. Holding you up in prayer today, Josh, Lisa, Noah, and Ava. Love, the Geigers

    ReplyDelete
  28. We continue to pray daily- Josh, there is NO preparation for this- The only preparation is our walk with GOD and just holding on to HIM which you are all doing- There are no words that prepares a parent for this walk and it's a walk we do not choose ourselves-You are doing exactly what you should be doing- trusting and hanging on- we've walked that walk and it's more painful than words could ever describe. We are with you all the way-
    Betsey and Phil

    ReplyDelete
  29. Josh, you and Lisa and Ava are in my prayers daily. I was stricken with cancer six years ago, and all my doctors told my wife I was going to die. However God had other plans. As long as the breath of life is in Ava, there is hope. I'm a living testament to the power of prayer. Our God listens to the cries of his children. Take heart!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good morning woke up to the great news we are outa here! Favorite 1st video of Ava and means even more now, knowing she will head for NJ for new answers with a team of prayer warriors all the way! You are both wonderful parents,friends, and faithful to your precious children! We stand with you through out it all and learn as we go to from your tremendous strength! As many have said I too see a tapestry in this and I see people not just at Northland but world wide being drawn and led to faithfulness and being drawn even more to our Lord! I too thought about Abraham in this situation and I think as parents we all go through that feeling in many ways with our children as they grow and face so many difficulties health and otherwise. Lessons in life given from our ancestors in the Bible to lead us to glory! You are paving the way for many as well as a modern day saint doing all he can do as the Lord leads you and you remain faithful to his calling! So glad she is going home remember "He Leadeth You, He leadeth You!" We are here with God as cheerleaders and companions each step of the way! Have a wonderful Monday!

    Blessings! Lisa & Jim Hughes, Marissa Crismon

    ReplyDelete
  31. May the peace that passes all understanding begin to cover you and hide you in the shadow of the Almighty God. We, having the authority of the Holy Ghost, speak to this sickness and tell it that by the stripes of Christ, it has no authority to stay! From Lafayette Indiana, I speak to this precious little girls body and decree that from the crown of her head to the soul of her feet and even to the smallest cell in her body, that the blueprint for Ava's life that was from the foundation of the world be brought to pass even now. God, dispatch angels to them. Encamp round abot them and work on their behalf. We speak life Lord, because you said that the power of life and death was in the tongue and we speak it into the atmosphere! We thank you in advance for victory and we believe that you will work it out! In Jesus Name!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Josh and Lisa..

    I have not had the priveledge of meeting in person ...our family has been going to your Dad's church since the early 90's..I just wanted to pass along a note that I heard many years ago..and keeps repeating in my mind this morning..Corrie ten Boom the author of The hiding place was interviewed many years ago...and was asked about how she drew strength during those tough days...She spoke of a conversation she had with her Dad..“When I was a little girl, I went to my father and said, ‘Daddy, I am afraid that I will never be strong enough ......’”

    “Tell me,” said Father, “When you take a train trip to Amsterdam, when do I give you the money for the ticket? Three weeks before?”

    “No, Daddy, you give me the money for the ticket just before we get on the train.”

    “That is right,” my father said, “and so it is with God’s strength. Our Father in Heaven knows when you will need the strength ....... He will supply all you need — just in time....”
    there is a great clip of her here as well...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VZYFDCS3Gw

    Our prayer for you this morning is for the exact shade of grace and perfect peace today..

    Blessings,

    The Crooks family

    ReplyDelete
  33. God has given you all such tremendous strength and you continue to please Him. You all are doing so much for others while in the biggest detour of you life. I just heard a sermon about being in the valley with the walls closing in. We have to remember...just like "Joshua", the Lord was with him, and through those perils came grace.
    We continue to lift our voices everyday in prayer, with thoughts throughout the day. Ava is such a precious little girl whom my family was so honored to get to know from co-op. The Holy Spirit just spills from that little lady. May many blessings be shown through your perils. With love..Brandee, Holden, Rocco and Bella.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Said another prayer for sweet Ava this morning. Praying for complete healing and health. God sees your tears. As much as you love Ava, He loves her even more.
    Love,
    The Gable family

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hunter Family!

    I want you to know that in Worship yesterday at all four of our services you and specifically Ava was prayed for at First Presbyterian Church of Orlando.

    We also continue to hold you all up in prayer in our weekly Monday morning staff prayer time. We recognize that we are all the Church that Christ loves and so we stand beside you and are praying with you!

    ReplyDelete
  36. You probably know this, but in case you don't...a person like me, a stranger, living in another country, happened upon your blog last week, and now pray daily for Ava. I'm sure there are hundreds like me.
    No matter the "outcome", the Body of Christ is doing it's job and accepting the privilege of holding you all up to Him! Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  37. Josh,
    I went to bed last night praying for your sweet baby and woke this morning praying for her. I pray that God give you the strength, wisdom and peace in the days ahead. I pray that God works through the Dr. in NJ to heal your precious baby. You are the Daddy that God specifically chose for Ava and your blog has shown an amazing love that only a parent could have. Please know that we are continually praying for God's loving arms around you holding you tightly and for a complete miracle of healing!

    ReplyDelete
  38. To the Hunter Family: We are praying for Ava to get out of the hospital, so she can go up north to go see this doctor. We are praying for Ava to have the strength to get through all of this as well as the whole Hunter family. Our thoughts & prayers are with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Continued warm thoughts and hope from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Our God is an AWESOME God! I pray He hears our cries to heal your precious daughter! I pray she gets strong enough soon to make her journey to NJ. I pray for strength for you and Lisa. I pray for comfort for all of you! I don't know you, but from what I read, you and Lisa are exactly what Ava needs...she was given to you for a reason. You are all so blessed to have each other. Lean on your family and friends during this difficult time and know that you have more prayer warriors praying for you and your little one than you could ever imagine. You have touched so many lives with your amazing faith! Continue to stay strong and know that your miracle is coming! FAITH-HOPE-COURAGE!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Josh and Lisa, you are doing everything the best it could be done. I admire your courage and strength and humility. God is not taken by surprise by Ava's condition and he's prepared you for this the best he could all your life. You are doing great...do not doubt yourself. Keep marching. We all join you in prayer and I personally will never stop. I pray for Ava and your family all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Just a few days ago, things with Ava were looking bleak. Now, already, Ava is showing her fighter instincts and getting ready to go home. She is already a miracle in that because of her, she has changed so many lives. Josh and Lisa and Noah, you three are also miracles, forgetting what is behind and straining what is ahead, you press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called you heavenward in Christ Jesus. Thank you for sharing your walk of faith with us. We all give each other hope and encouragement. I continue to pray for Ava and the rest of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I don't know you but have friends who attend your church and my daughters go with to the father daughter dance at Northland and I loved your photo with Ava.
    We have all been praying for Ava ever since I started reading your post. Your faith as I read amazes me and so glad you are strong for Ava. It is amazing the strength God gives even sometimes when we dont' know we have it. OUr daughter at 4 was in the PICu and Dr Patissipu's office were her dr's as well. I know some of the fear and to watch our daughters go through anything. I pray for a miracle and that God will hold all of you in His hands. You have many people here if you need anythign and many you don't know. People are praying everywhere. I pray for all of you. I can't imagine the thought...I shed tears and prayers everytime I read your blog. Hopeing for a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Dear Josh, Lisa, & Noah,
    As I was reading these notes today, I thought of some particularly nice Christmas cards I bought a few years ago. It said something about "one tiny baby" changing the world. I can't help but feel that "one tiny girl" is also affecting the lives of so many all over the world. I read your blogs and the comments from everyone with chills running through my body. I feel very much "in the presence of God" during these times. My husband & I continue to lift "the Hunters" up in prayer to our mighty Savior who makes no mistakes and created you as an unbelievably remarkable father and Lisa as the greatest of moms, and little Noah as the perfect brother for little "Avabina". I have never met you guys, but have had the priviledge of attending Northland and receiving the "Word" from your Dad every week. Our love and prayers travel with you on all your journeys with Ava. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Praying for your family, praying for healing!

    ReplyDelete
  46. We continue to pray for your family and sweet Ava daily!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Spending every night praying for you guys. We love you!

    Leah and Joe Matis
    (Nancy Taylor's daughter)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Josh and Lisa,
    All my family and friends are praying for you and your sweet little Ava. Please know that every day we are praying for a miracle and strength for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  49. You can always depend on our prayers! It has become an important part of our prayer life!! I will be happy when our prayers are just "thanks for the healing" though!! You have been just who you "should" be Josh, Lisa and Noah!! You are teaching us how a wonderful Christian family goes through trials and stays real and courageous!! God is so proud of the Hunters!!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. oh Josh & Lisa...you guys are so much in our prayers. Asking God to snuggle your little family close to His heart and to minister to your deepest needs as you live in His daily sufficient grace.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I have continued to follow your updates. Thank you for keeping this blog. My little girl and I pray for Ava every night. I cannot imagine what you are going through but as you say He knows. God will continue to hold you up and love His child. Give her to Him every day.

    We are praying for a complete healing. I had 5 people on my prayer list with cancer. We are down to 4 as one is well again and I think we're going to bring it down to 3 with my friend's mom in remission. I am prayerful that Ava and my mom will be next. He has a good healing coming our way, guys. And don't worry about being strong. I find that when I am not, He sends someone my way to minister and lift me up. We pray every night and during each day for her healing. Ava will be healed. She will be a great witness for God. Amen...

    ReplyDelete
  52. Praying for Ava's complete healing, and for God's eternal peace to capture your souls as you walk this road. Many, many people are reading your blog daily and lifting Ava up before the Father, surrounding your family with love and prayers. May you find comfort in His grace, and in the embrace of Believers around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Prayers for you and your beautiful family from Majestic Church in New Zealand. Your blog had touched many peoples lives, may Jesus carry you through this trying time.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Still praying, so much! Though we don't know your family, we talk of all four of you often. Our kids are seeing real-life examples of God's strength being made perfect in weakness, and we're getting lots of opportunities to talk of His goodness in the midst of suffering. I am reminded many time a days to cherish each and every moment, even the ugly ones, because of your sweet Ava. And a friend of mine, whom I would never expect to even say the WORD "pray," asked her friends to pray for you guys on Facebook recently. God is at work. We love you guys, and are still asking for complete healing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  55. We are praying for you and your family. We are sharing your blogs and adding you to the prayer lists of family, friends and coworkers, as well. God is in control.

    With Love,
    The Zulueta family

    ReplyDelete
  56. Those who sow in tears
    will reap with songs of joy.
    He who goes out weeping,
    carrying seed to sow,
    will return with songs of joy,
    carrying sheaves with him.
    Psalm 126: 5-6

    ReplyDelete
  57. i have been praying for ava all day today and will continue through the night. may God bless you with peace and rest tonight.
    -kyra wong

    ReplyDelete
  58. Dear Josh & Lisa,

    I join with all in offering my heartfelt prayers for God's sustaining grace in your lives. My heart breaks for you all in what you are going through. I have a five-year-old son myself. When I look at him I feel the love that I know you have for Ava and I can only imagine the pain you are experiencing. I so appreciate your heart for God and your willingness to entrust your most precious "possession" into His loving hands. Know that He IS loving, unfortunately we just live in a fallen world with diseases and "crap" like this!! We love you and your family and are praying for God's presence to carry you through moment by moment. - Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  59. Josh,
    You are an amazing man after God's own heart. I am so blessed by your faithfulness to blog every night even though you are exhausted. It really helps me to know how to pray for all of you and especially for the miracle for Ava. Be strong, courageous and know that we are all praying when you just can't. Give Lisa a big hug for me and tell her that she is amazing too. I love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Dear Josh and Lisa,
    I sat in the back pew of the sanctuary as Pastor Joel cried out to Jesus, last Saturday Evening. I was perched beside a young man in a wheelchair with muscular dystrophy. He squeezed my hand, as tight as his feeble muscles would allow, as we prayed for Ava. It warmed my heart (and his, too, I'm sure) to hear Ava's Granddaddy utter his complete devotion and total dependency on God. Although I have not walked where you have walked, ...I know what it feels like to cry out to Jesus to save the health and well being of your child. I know the anguish of wanting to hug and hold your little one so tight that it all goes away. But, I also know who is carrying you, right now. What better hands are there to hold you than Jesus?
    That young man is my son and we will continue to lift Ava and you and your family in our prayers. -Rae Ann (and Bradley)

    ReplyDelete