Thursday, August 26, 2010

A bit better today.

I think Ava had a fairly decent day today. Her body is certainly still reeling from the toll it took over the last week. From the headaches and seizures and corresponding surgery, she is not physically where she was 2 weeks ago. Her left side is a bit weaker, her eyes do not quite track like they did, and her speech is a bit slower. However, her little crooked smile and her sense of humor have gone no where. They were evident again this evening as she asked me to sing more songs about "Daffney's mee-bum" which translated into plain english is "a song about our dog's behind". She got a good chuckle out of herself. It's nice when you can crack yourself up...you never get bored.

While we don't know what her ultimate physical progress will be, we are staying focused on listening to the doc in NJ who has helped two other girls with GBM. She is in contact with Lisa on a daily basis and is directing Ava's diet and treatment program from there right now. We are waiting on the all go for travel from her. She is helping us decide when Ava is physically well enough to make the trip without further hurting her body in the process. Meanwhile, there are things we are doing here to help keep the beast "in check". All of it is being directed from the only person who has given us any hope for Ava and actually has a track record to back it up. So, we wait and enjoy our times like today as we watch her make baby steps of physical progress.

Amazingly, Ava is not frustrated by her inability to do other things right now. She is a bit more concerned than she was that she is not well, but even those moments are fleeting. She is looking forward to meeting one of the girls who had the same boo-boo she has. She lives in New Jersey where they (Lisa, Ava and a couple of friends) will be traveling.

While it's hard to see Ava have reduced capability, it is quickly countered by the blessing that we had another day with her. Each one is a treasure. I am constantly reminded that I have to value time with not just her, but all of those whom God has put in my circle of care.

I was talking with my brother the other day and told him, "You know, I can honestly say that no matter what happens, I will not have regretted one single thing about the way we have raised Ava. She knows she is loved, knows God loves her, has always had to live within the boundaries of thinking about others above herself, lived everyday knowing that her mom and dad think the world of her because God gave her to us, and knows her dad and mom love each other and Jesus." I know not every parent can give that gift. It's something I wish I could pass on to every single person that has a kid.

The single greatest gift we can give our children is a knowledge of who Jesus is. The second greatest gift we can give is a mom and dad who live out a love for each other that models the way Christ loves us. Lisa and I are by no means flawless, but those are the goals we intentionally shoot for every single day. It has made a difference in the lives of our kids. They have a confidence that only comes from seeing that lived out over time.

We are quite the far from perfect. But, when I go to bed at night, I know that our kids have seen what it's like to try hard to live and love as Christ would. I truly believe it's something that gives Ava comfort right now. She knows we aren't going anywhere. We are right here no matter what. And so is Jesus.

22 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the inspiration that you're giving me to be the best mother that I can be. Our household is praying for a miracle for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Josh. I feel as though I've just been to church. We continue to pray for Ava and enjoy the gift of your blog each day to connect us to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh, Ava has so many people beyond her own biological family that love her! I tell people all the time that 5 year old Avabina is teaching people all over the world about prayer, patience and faith. Most of all though, she is teaching others about pure Christ-like love. Thank you, Ava!! As always, you and your family are in my prayers tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Josh,
    God is certainly giving you the gift of "writing" during this trial in your life. I feel every word that you write in my heart. Your love of Christ and family is an inspiration to all of us. May God keep you, Lisa, Noah, and sweet Ava in the palm of his loving hand. I continue to pray for all of you and for the Doctor in NJ, who is directing you. I feel that God has put you in the hands he wants you to be in. Have a peaceful and restful night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josh Hunter... Im in agreement, we are very blessed to have your blogs everyday.... you are an example, just like your entire family, as to, what kind of a life we are supposed to try to live. I am honored to call you my friend, and as you and both of your brothers and your mom and dad, have impacted my life, and my walk with Jesus Christ. And I thank you for your strength, and Lisa and your entire family, are blessed to have you has a leader, and Lisa, Your amazing!! love you , miss you.. love shawnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying daily for the miracle of healing for Ava and comfort from The Comforter for your family. Jerry & Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wise words, Josh. Praying for y'all... Love, Allie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Josh as I read your blog everyday you and your family continue to AMAZE me. You may not be perfect but neither am I but what I choose to say is that we get it ! We get what God has called us to be. Not perfect but we get it! I'm still praying throughout the day that at any moment you and your family will receive your miracle and also for All of your comfort and peace only our Lord can give.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terrific insight on parenting, which I know is also true by the reflection in my own children's lives. It's not always easy, but to love, especially Christ-like love is more powerful than words can say.

    Peace, Blessings, and Joy to you all. My thoughts and prayers are with you always.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love what you wrote about parenting. You hit the nail on the head and it's exactly where our focus is as we raise our two little ones.

    How wonderful that you have a doctor who is able to remotely direct Ava's care. Our God is miraculous and this is a prime example! My prayers continue for Ava's ability to travel to NJ.

    Always praying...always believing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. When i was dusting yesterday (which is in itself a mini miracle) I came across this bible verse i had propped up somewhere and thought it was so perfect for you and your family:
    I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that He is able to guard what i have entrusted to Him for that day.
    2 Timothy 1:12
    Always praying, trusting, and believing...

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks, Josh, for taking the time to write each and every day. you made me tear up and giggle as I read this...cracking yourself up is a good thing...and being thankful for each day we have with loved ones.

    you and your family are in our prayers...we pray without ceasing. :)+

    ReplyDelete
  13. Josh:

    What would it take to have the NJ doctor fly down and treat Ava here - say once a week? Is that a possibility? Or does she/he have any professional relationships with doctors here in Orlando that she could work with, or how about using an cyper connection for her diagnosis/treatment for Ava? If so, I believe there are plenty of resources and people who would be willing to make that happen. I volunteer on the Northland Disaster Response Team and we have a fairly large group of doctors/nurses we could reach out to for Ava. Please let us know how we can help. Pray for Ava, you, Lisa, and all the Hunter/Gable families. Know you are loved by ones you will never meet - that is one of the wonderous powers of the Lord we worship.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are praying for Ava & your family every day--that God will completely heal her. Knowing every moment that He is holding you all in His loving hands is a comfort, while reading your blog just breaks our hearts.
    Deb & Jerry Downing

    ReplyDelete
  15. My hubby and I have wondered too if it might be possible to have the NJ doctor come here. I'm sure that option has been considered though, and KNOW you guys are doing everything you can for that precious girl.

    Josh, I just want to thank you for being so faithful through this whole thing. I have unsaved friends/family who are "looking in from the outside" - one in particulare that I'm praying for - and knowing that she was reading your words above....well I just can't explain how much that means. Your desire to point others to Jesus in the midst of your suffering is such an evidence of God's grace in your life. Thank you Josh, for being found faithful.

    Still praying constantly for a miracle for your baby girl, and lifting you, Lisa, and Noah up just as often.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Josh, Lisa and Noah, As I just read through your "blog" (I would like to rename this "The Gift") it would be an understatement to say it was inspirational. This writing is a summation of what our roles should be to each other no matter what happens. You are walking the walk! So we will continue to pray for your moment to moment Faith, Healing, Hope, Love, Miracles, Strength and Wisdom. We are here for you and with you! Cindy Lehn

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for your wise words on parenting, Josh---they're so very true, and it's good to be reminded. I am learning a lot from you and Lisa by the way you are handling all this. Or, to say it more accurately, by the way you are surrendering all this to the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Josh- I agree with Cindy who wrote before me. Your words of wisdom, & I'll take it a step further, & say that you & your sweet family are gifts from God to all of us who know you or know you from afar. As God is refining you, He is making you like gold in the process. The way you are living your lives makes me want to be a better person & more Christ-like in my words & actions. Regarding Ava, nothing can quench that bright spirit of hers because Jesus has poured His Spirit & His breath into her SO abundantly! May each day get better for Ava as she gets ready to take the trip. Prayers for srength, energy, & renewal for her body. Prayers for His perfect healing & for His perfect peace.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So so SO true! Thank you for putting that so well.
    Praying every day
    ~Kelli King Bock & Family~

    ReplyDelete
  20. All I can say is AMEN to all the writers before me!! You all are surely wonderful witnesses of how Christ's people deal with big problems like Ava's!! I'm praying always and now for the trip to the doctor and Ava meeting a child who USED TO HAVE the same boo-boo!! that will really help everyone! Thanks for finding the time and energy to blog everyday!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Josh-
    You are inspiring even in the darkest of situations. I did not grow up knowing Jesus. I found Him as an adult and am so very thankful I did. I wish every home had parents like you and Lisa, it would be a better world no doubt.
    Ava is such a bright little girl. I tell people about her video's and the sense of humor she has. She is incredible, like her mom, dad and brother.
    Keep holding on to Jesus. You are great examples of His love. I can't say enough about the Hunter (or Beeson) families.
    Still praying for strength for you all.
    Love in Christ-
    Jody

    ReplyDelete