Lest you think I am always feeling hopeful about what each day will bring, I will start this blog by letting you know that randomly, each day, I lose all composure and fall apart completely for 30 minutes. I am now to the point where I have timed it. That's about how long it takes to realize that my head hurts from crying.
Crisis is an amazing thing. I know we have to walk through it in life, I just always assumed it would be something normal...like I got fired from a job, or my kid got arrested, or...who knows. But, I never thought it would be a battle for the life of my little girl. We are locked in. We know that traditional medicines have proven ineffective on what Ava has. There is about a 1% chance that chemo and radiation would do anything but possibly slow down this crap for a few months...but likely at the expense of Ava's quality of life. We are leaning toward finding other ways to help her. Medicine is wonderful in most cases. It helps most people with most diseases... we aren't in that category right now. We are researching all kinds of things that have proven to beat GBM in children that aren't the traditional route that we know fails. We are listening to everyone for a few days.
That being said, I am going to ask you all for a favor. If you would be an extension of the Hunter research department and look for non-tradtional ways that childhood GBM has been successfully treated and cured and respond to this particular post with what you find, I would be very grateful. While we may not use any of it, it may be that one of you has a connection to our next best step. I am only asking those of you who have the time and feel called to do it to jump in. You have all asked how you can help...this is one way. We are compiling a spreadsheet of responses and methodically working through them one by one...so if you are not convinced it may help, then we likely wouldn't be either. However, if the solution is to dance around Ava and throw sunflower seeds at the TV and that has been proven effective, we are all ears.
On a positive note, today was a pretty good day. Her brain is responding pretty well to the surgery. They told us it would likely be a couple months before her left side responds with any strength, but that is of little importance right now. The good news is that her surgery appears to be healing well. She was the best today that she has been since Sunday before surgery. She is dealing with headaches still, but they are now as a result of the surgery and not because of the swelling that the surgery caused. They tell me that is good. She has been awake most of the day today and is pretty chatty. I had planned to go to work a little today, but couldn't bear to leave the hospital and miss the new-found moments of joy she is bringing...So, I stayed there.
The people close to us have jumped in to help with the launch of Hunter Vision next month and continue to amaze me. They have made it so that I can be at the hospital. The staff at RDV and Hunter Vision are sacrificing for our family. I will never be able to repay them.
We are so blessed to have a huge group of people to hold us up while we battle. It makes it better. We know that in our weakness we can still fight and that the fight has only begun.
As the musician who came to visit Ava came to sing today, I worshiped in the hospital room. She sang, "You give and take away, you give and take away, my heart will choose to say, Lord blessed be your name." We praise God for every minute we have together as family. I am grateful for all of you who commit to praying for Ava. God hears our prayer. We have no choice but to lean in to Him and trust His plan for our life and Ava's.
Keep praying. Please don't stop. We need you and so does Ava.
Love to you all.
Lisa and Josh-
ReplyDeleteWe are on it! Hang in there!
Julie
Josh and Lisa,
ReplyDeleteThat is a wonderful, practical requst. In addition to praying, I will now start researching as well. I thought you made a very wise choice by staying at the hospital today. Jesus loves the little children.
Lisa and Josh,
ReplyDeleteIf there is anything the Hadsell family can do for you please let us know. We can cook you a meal, watch Noah, run arrands or just chat. You all are in our prayers and will be for a long time. God Bless
Josh & Lisa,
ReplyDeleteI did find this site that has a number of stories from GBM survivors.
http://www.virtualtrials.com/survive.cfm
Pat
Josh,
ReplyDeleteThat song "Blessed be the Name" was playing on the radio while I was frantically trying to catch up with Life Flight as my mom was being taken to Fl. South after suffering a massive heart attack 6 years ago. The line "you give and take away" pierced through me while I was driving, but through my tears I drove and sang that song. NOT ONE DOCTOR expected her to survive, and gave us little to no hope. They told us that IF she did survive, there would be long term damage-- kidney, liver, etc.... God heard our pleas, and I will tell you that HIS PLANS were not what the doctors expected. I had one doctor say to me "your knees must be raw, because there is no medical explanation for why your mother is still here". She was 55-- my best friend.... She is alive and well and suffers NO DAMAGE from the heart attack that was to be expected. I tell you all of this to remind you, that God hears, He LOVES Ava, and He is still a God of miracles. I'm praying NONSTOP for Ava, and think the idea of branching out on research is wonderful! I'll spread the news on facebook and to anyone who will listen!! With Love to you all, Angela
Josh and Lisa,
ReplyDeleteOne of my friends sent me this info in an email and it is from her friend that is battling cancer. I think this doctor helps battle cancer without chemo/radiation. It's worth looking into. This is part of the email from her friend:
"The doctors name is Dr. Nicholas Gonazlez, www.dr-gonzalez.com... also, there was a doctor that treated children's brain tumors in the book Knockout... that is how I found my doctor."
We love you guys and will be researching with you!
Love, Mandi and Cory
Here is a clinical trial. It says 18 or older but maybe worth checking out: http://www.novocuretrial.com/?gclid=CJ22o7Woy6ICFQ26sgodp2zCvQ
ReplyDeleteDear Josh and Lisa,
ReplyDeleteYour father led me to Christ just last year and I have been reading your blog for a while. My husband and I have been praying since we found out about Ava's battle on Sunday. I found 2 articles of very unconventional/alternative therapies to add to your consideration: http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/7/1/33 and http://www.healingcancernaturally.com/brain-cancer-cure-testimonials.html
We continue to pray for Ava and your entire family.
The Martins
Hope this link helps ~ http://www.cancercompass.com/message-board/message/all,26468,0.htm
ReplyDeleteMelissa - Northampton, Massachusetts
Hey Josh and Lisa,
ReplyDeleteMy friend sent me this email from her friend that is battling cancer. Her doctor is helping her battle cancer naturally. I don't know much about it, but she said it would be worth looking into!
Here is part of the emai with some of the infol:
" The doctors name is Dr. Nicholas Gonazlez, www.dr-gonzalez.com... also, there was a doctor that treated children's brain tumors in the book Knockout... that is how I found my doctor."
We love you all and are praying with you ever step of the way!
Oops, That last comment about the email from my friend was from me!
ReplyDeleteMandi Callahan :)
Always be joyful. Keep on praying. No matter what happens, always be thankful, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. I Thessalonians 5:16-18
ReplyDeleteMy wife, Mary found this testimonial. I hope it is helpful. We will send more as we find them.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.healingcancernaturally.com/brain-cancer-cure-testimonials.html
Gene & Mary Ort ( Friends of Mark Beeson and members of GCC )
Hi Josh... 1st off, i just wanted to let you know that we are praying for you all. After reading your latest post, I spoke to my Aunt who is a surgeon and she recommended checking into a few places for clinical trials. Here are a few names
ReplyDelete1) St. Judes
2) Sloan Kettering in New york
3) M.D. Anderson in Houston
Also my brother in law suggested looking into Duke University.
Not sure if any of these are a good option of Ava, but wouldn't hurt checking into.
I will continue to pray for Gods healing and will keep asking around. Thank you so much for the updates!
Kristen Brown
I'll be researching tonight after I return from Bible Study in Deltona. Everyone at One Kingdom Fellowship and LivIt Church in Deltona is praying for Ava, too!
ReplyDeleteOffering more prayers for your angel!
Our prayers are with you and your family. We too have experienced a child that we didn't know what God would allow in our life amd hers. It is not easy going through times like this. Know that God can use you during this time to reach out to others in their time of need. There may be someone who needs Christ as their personal Savior and you can be God's tool to plant the seed, water or even reap the harvest. Keep your faith and know that in Romans 8:28 says, ALL things work together for good to those who love God and are the called according to His purpose. Thess 5:18 says, In ALL things give thanks for this is the will of God, in Christ Jesus concerning you, Phil 4:13 says, I can do ALL things through Christ which strengthenth me. Hang on to God's Word and trust Him completely for direction and remember the key word in these verses is ALL.
ReplyDeleteALL means ALL and that is ALL, ALL means.
Ava is being lifted up by many all over the world. It was hard for us to know how to pray, so we prayed God have your complete will in our daughter and our lives and no matter what happens we know you are in control and will see us through it all.
Sandy :) and Wayne Noble
What gut-wrenching honesty, so authentic that I can feel your agony. I will start researching and share this message.
ReplyDeleteSt Jude Childrens Research Hospital in Memphis. Cutting edge. Huge funding. Free Care. My sister's roommate has worked there for years. They do miraculous work. (Hope this isn't too conventional a suggestion, but St Jude is pushing this horrible envelope farther, I believe, than anyone. You are all in my prayers...
ReplyDeleteCall Kenemuth Chiropractic Office (863) 956-9393. He is out of Lake Alfred. He has helped our entire family with various problems. We have absolutely zero idea how he does what he does and he's not a normal chiropractor so we refer to him as the "voodoo doctor". He's probably a step above throwing the sunflower seeds! People from over seas come into town to see him - so I guess he's good at what he does:). Even if he can't help Ava, he might be able to help point you in the right direction for alternative treatments.
ReplyDeleteI agree-check with St. Jude--they do their own trials. Also, have you sent a sample of the tumor to a lab for chemosensitivity testing? Rational Therapeutics: http://www.rational-t.com . Worth a try.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Pat Lee
Parent Support Group facilitator
BASE Camp/American Childhood Cancer Org.
my aunt who is an assistant dean of nursing sent me this link of clinical trials for brain tumors in children. she said there would need to be more information about the type of tumor,but your dr. may be able to help guide you toward one of them. sending along in case it is of help.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.cancer.gov/search/ResultsClinicalTrials.aspx?protocolsearchid=7901310&vers=1
I went through cancer in 2000. Ava's situation hits home with me and my heart goes out to Ava and your family. I will pray for her until her healing. I have many friends all over the U.S. and I have been sending them your updates. When I saw Avas picture I could see the strong, survivor, warrior Spirit she has!! God Bless Ava and your family!!
ReplyDeleteJosh-in what part of the brain was Ava's tumor located? That seems to be of importance as I begin research. Let me know that detail and I will commit as much time as I can to researching for you. I had brain surgery for a rare condition last summer, so medical research is not foreign to me!
ReplyDelete~Amanda Bajgier
Josh...thankful that Ava is having a good day. And so grateful that we can help in some small way by doing research for you. Also, I do not work and if you need an extra set of hands at Hunter Vision or anything at all. Please send me an email at: cindiet@gmail.com
ReplyDeletehttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2874558/
Josh, I am a friend of Rhonda Hunters... my name is Montye Gardner. She may have already given you the information that I sent to her, but I wanted to let you know that I spoke with Dr. Gonzalez on the phone last night about Ava. He said he would consider taking her as a patient, he obviously wanted to discuss a few things with you and your wife first. I would love to speak to you about everything if you are up for discussing it I can be reached at 407-644-6249 or 321-303-1314.
ReplyDeleteI had my first x-ray yesterday since I started his program and it came up completely clear! I have a set of scans in August at Mayo to confirm everything, but I know that his program is working. Josh, I can tell you with all of my being that the Good Lord led me to Dr. Gonzalez, he cures cancer... all types of cancer. Please consider his program for your precious Ava.
Thinking of little Ava and your family constantly.... and lifting her up in pray. I know God is going to lead you to a cure and heal her completely.
Josh, I've spoken with a couple people and everyone keeps saying that you should get her to St. Judes in Memphis. It's like the Mayo Clinic for kids. They will treat children no matter the financial situation and are constantly doing more and more research.
ReplyDeleteOne of my friends said if you decide to go there, they have places to stay and if you needed a place we have a network of people there that would open their homes. Also, they are treating many people with the same condition so they have a network of support there as well. I'll keep researching.
http://www.rosenthal.hs.columbia.edu/cancer/info/ctrials.html
ReplyDeleteI live in north MS. My son,Preston Denley, used to live in Orlando and went to Summit. He knows Ava and passed your blog on to me. St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital in Memphis is known for curing cancer in children. They say it is a wonderful place. Have a friend that has a grandson battling cancer now and she speaks so highly of the care, plus the love and concern from the staff. They have a Ronald McDonald house for families to stay in, too. Please consult with the Drs. there and see what hope they will give you for Ava. Am praying for Ava and your family. Know how devestating this can be. We have a daughter-in-law, the mother of two of my grandchildren, with a brain tumor, too. She's being treated in Duke with good results. Will continue to lift Ava and you to the Great Physician! Love in Him, Isabel Woods
ReplyDeleteA friend of mine tipped me off to what is going on. My now 9 year old son is a cancerous brain tumor survivor. He had his surgery at Detroits Childrens Hospital and the I worked really hard to get him into St. Jude. I saw some Gilo's there. Kevin's Oncologist is Dr. Gajjar, one of the best in the world for medullo. But with that said, I'm sure your head is spinning with new info. I was blessed some moms across the county who's children had had the same brain tumor as Kevin, helped me to navigate protocols. I can pool from the St. Jude moms I know and find someone who has gone through it before you if you would like. Just say the word.
ReplyDeleteI'm here for you. On our family blog I have a bunch of brain tumor information on the right side bar. The URL is www.michiganherrs.blogspot.com
My email is mzrach@gmail.com. That goes right to my blackberry, which I am typing this from right now. I'm sorry if there are typos: the screen is really small.
I'm so sorry you, her and your family have to face this. I cried the whole 1st month Kevin was dx. You will learn the terminology and feel like an MD wouldn't be that hard by the time treatment is through.
Thoughts and many, many prayers,
Rachel Skousen-Herr
Josh and family-
ReplyDeleteI attend GCC and follow Mark's blog. I've been following little Ava's story since Mark posted it and have been offering prayers for everyone. God is good! He will offer wisdom and hope and we're praying very hard for a miracle.
I have a connection to a neurosurgeon, Dr. Tom Kingman, in San Antonio and just talked to him. He said that Duke Medical Center is more aggresive with the treatment of these types of tumors so I thought I would pass that on.
I will continue to pray for you all and that God gives you peace and Ava the strength to fight this battle that you all fight with her.
Jody Brinks
Josh and Lisa, (i also send this through Mandi and your brother Joel, just in case)
ReplyDeletethis is from a friend of my mom's Love and prayers to all of you, Kristin Norman.:
Sorry to hear about Ava, I know the path they are on and it pains me to think of another family going through what we did. Matthew had the same family of tumor as Ava.
Please have them email or call me. deniserager@sbcglobal.net My cell: (714) 345-6971 Home: (951) 278-9003.
Matthew's caringbridge site: www.caringbridge.org/visit/matthewrager
We love MD Anderson, they seem to offer more options for our kids. If the family is going to do radiation, they should see if Ava is a candidate for Proton Radiation, there are only 8 centers in the US. Most of our brain tumor kids go to MD Anderson in Houston or Mass General in Boston. The most experienced docs with pediatric brain tumors are at these facilities.
Have them listen to an interview I did with a top doc at MD Anderson about proton radiation and our experience.
http://www.mdanderson.org/publications/patient-power/episodes/2010/proton-therapy-for-pediatric-cancer.html
Please have them email or call me. The Lord sent us to Houston and Matthew is almost 3 years cancer free. We thank God everyday and continue to pray for all of our friends who are struggling.
God Bless,
Denise Rager
This might be one of those links that leads to something. Ian Gawler was a vetenarian diagnosed with bone cancer and given a VERY short time to live. That was 30 years ago. He is a major expert in his field of alternative treatments for cancer. He counts positive thinking, meditation, and diet........See what this links brings. or google "ian gawler" All the best.
ReplyDeletehttp://gawlerfoundationmedia.com.au/
I have been praying & doing online research since I heard the news... I am currently studying for my Dermatology Board Certification Examination 8/5-6/2010 & have actually had some success with a product called Avemar. It is fermented wheat germ extract. You can have Dr. Joel Hunter pull the medical papers on this product. There are some controlled trials going on right now, but the best news is that it "does no harm". It is a liquid that you drink. You can order it online. It has taken some time to gain attention, as it originally came from Hungary. The best initial studies with the product were done in Austria. It is now being looked at for several different neoplastic conditions at places like Mass. General, Duke, John's Hopkins etc... Look into it, I pray that it will help your "little angel"!!!
ReplyDeleteIn Him,
Dr. Brian A. Scott
Josh, please check out Aflac Childrens Cancer Center/Hospital in Atlanta....they specialize in childrens cancers including brain tumors. If you google the name you will be able to find the website and contact information too. Not sure what their treatments are and how they are different but it's worth checking out. Continued prayers for you all and I will keep searching for new ideas!!!
ReplyDeleteJosh and Lisa,
ReplyDeleteWe are praying daily. We will be asking, seeking, knocking, praying....God please show us the way to this precious little girl's healing...whether by your miraculous power or through treatments that we do not yet know, we are trusting you, Oh God. You are the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end, the Author of life and death. We pray for life for Ava. Please Lord, hear our prayer!
Praise be to God,
Eyes on Him..for Ava,
Lou and Brenda DiFazio
http://www.dana-farber.org/Apps/clinical_trials/search.aspx?search_text=glioblastoma
ReplyDeleteAllen Friedman and Henry Friedman at Duke have had some amazing outcomes
http://www.chori.org/Current_News/2007/07_Nov_Forte.html
http://www.cbtf.org/news/glioblastoma-research
and of course St. Jude's is a wealth of information...
Josh, Amanda Ober is one of my best friends and asked me to respond, as I am very into holistic health, etc. Anyhow, I highly recommend either contacting Dr. Robert Young at his pH Miracle Center in California (760.751.8321 ) or Hippocrates Health Institute in West Palm Beach (561-471-8876). Both have successfully and naturally treated Cancer. I think that Hippocrates is probably a better pick in this case.
ReplyDeleteJosh- My wife has ovarian cancer. I have been researching alternative cancer therapies full time for over a year. I could write a book but I will cut to the chase- we can talk later if helpful. Order the book Cancer-Free, Your Guide to Gentle Non-Toxic Healing by Bill Henderson. $37 at www.beating-cancer-gently.com and you get the book online immediately and a hard copy follows. Go to Chapter 5 pages 83-128. The Henderson Protocol combines six well documented natural treatments. Another excellent comprehensive source of info is www.cancertutor.com. Godspeed. Jerry Downing netdowning@embarqmail.com
ReplyDeleteJosh,
ReplyDeleteWe've been praying daily for Ava and the entire Hunter family. I sent this info to Lisa's FB inbox as well. My close friend is on a guild at Seattle's Childrens Hospital that strickly raises money for Dr. Jim Olson (children's brain tumor research Dr). He is said to be brillant and his research is amazing! You can google him and see what he has found out re:cures for children with brain cancer. One study was using a plant compound that stops the cancer from growing. He might be in Africa currently, but does work with Dr. Tim Elloenbogen. Seattle's Childrens # is 206-987-2000. My friend's husband, Blake Smith works for Childrens, so if you need anything please let me know.
We will continue to pray for Ava and a treatment that will heal her completely.
Love,
Jennifer and Jason Sandberg
Josh, I am praying for Ava (and your family) daily with my little 4 year-old son, Myles. We attended Northland for many years before moving to Franklin, TN and love your father. My dad has a form of cancer called multiple myeloma and has been in remission for almost 2 years. This is very rare for his type of cancer. I spoke to my mom today and she recommended I tell you to research Poly-MVA, which he has been taking for quite a long time, and which he strongly feels has helped him fare so well with his form of cancer. They suggested you visit http://www.polymvasurvivors.com/testimonials.html, which they said has lots of testimonials of people with brain cancer, who have taken this treatment with good results. May God bless you all as you go through this time in your lives.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.healingcancernaturally.com/brain-cancer-cure-testimonials.html
ReplyDeleteWe are friends of Amber's in Grand Rapids. Your story has affected us deeply and you are in our daily prayers. Your faith is an inspiration to us all. We are praying for wisdom for sweet Ava's doctors and a peace for your family.
ReplyDeleteGod bless,
Breanne and Ryan Ten Have
Hey guys, This is a site that I feel is worth a look.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.burzynskiclinic.com/ Stage 3 FDA clinic trials..Gliomas
worth a call. Much better stats than 1%. Sam Pratt..call me please
Hi Josh,
ReplyDeleteHere is a link that might be helpful: http://www.cherylbroyles-gbm.com/
Dave Fortin
Josh, dr John young (727) 545-4600. he is an md but treats patients naturally. He has been huge in helping me with my chrones. I don't know if he treats cancer naturally but it would be worth a shot. He has alot of connections and really bends over backwards to help people get connected with who they need to see. I'll try to get in touch with him and get some answers. Love you guys and continue to pray for full healing for sweet Ava. -Tiffany Goad
ReplyDeletehttp://www.nutritional-solutions.net/
ReplyDeleteDear Josh:
ReplyDeleteSince last Sunday, when Pastor Vernon told us about Ava, I have been praying for you all and always looking for an updated on Ava.
I am sorry I haven't found words to write you before.
I am from Brazil living (legally) in the US for the last 13 years and after I read your blog today, I got my family and friends, a lot of Brazilians, working on your request. I just received a book written in Portuguese with alternative treatments for killing "the monster". I am going to start reading it right now and I let you know when I am finished.
P.S. I tried to send a copy of its cover, but I failed. Just in case you want to know the name and author here it is: Cancer tem Cura! (Cancer IS curable)written by Frei Romano Zago, OFM.
God be with you always! Love,
Sylvia - lockmoura@gmail.com
Josh, you dont know me but a mutual friend told me about your daughter and im so sorry. There is a hospital in Jacksonville that offers Proton therapy that has been known to cure certain types of cancers and a number to reach them is 904-588-1800 or tollfree at 877-686-6009. You can also google proton therapy in jacksonville and it will bring you to their website. -Kristen
ReplyDeleteOur prayers are with you during the journey. We've heard Aloe Vera Juice works miracles.
ReplyDeleteWebsite and info from St. Jude about brain tumors and treatments:
ReplyDeleteFor high-grade tumors, our research focuses on the use of a new experimental drug call erlotinib, also known as TarcevaTM or OSI-774. This drug belongs to a group of drugs called tyrosine kinase inhibitors, which are involved in controlling cell growth, migration, and death. This is the first time that this drug will be tested along with radiation treatment in children with brain tumors.
http://www.stjude.org/stjude/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=6f2b061585f70110VgnVCM1000001e0215acRCRD&vgnextchannel=bc4fbfe82e118010VgnVCM1000000e2015acRCRD
Webpage from St. Jude regarding types of brain tumors and various treatments at St. Jude:
ReplyDelete"For high-grade tumors, our research focuses on the use of a new experimental drug call erlotinib, also known as TarcevaTM or OSI-774. This drug belongs to a group of drugs called tyrosine kinase inhibitors, which are involved in controlling cell growth, migration, and death. This is the first time that this drug will be tested along with radiation treatment in children with brain tumors. "
http://www.stjude.org/stjude/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=6f2b061585f70110VgnVCM1000001e0215acRCRD&vgnextchannel=bc4fbfe82e118010VgnVCM1000000e2015acRCRD
We are continuing to pray for your sweet Ava and entire family. I'm more than happy to research for you.... some prelim things I've found:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=tumor-virus-vaccines
Life Extensions - www.lef.org
Proton Beam Treatment at Mass.
A few people have recommended St. Judes highly. I'm getting contact info for you from a friend of a friend that son was treated at St. Judes for Brain Cancer and is cancer free for 3 years. I will pass along her info when I get it.
praying for you and your family
ReplyDeleteOh my.....I feel like I need to bring you a gi-normous white board. Hopefully this will not be so overwhelming. I am praying that you will get all the info that is going to make a clear path for Ava's journey. And then that it will all be at peace when you need to rest.
ReplyDeleteI have just been sifting thru websites but wanted to give you this one. It is of a family who is on the same GBM path. It is the top 10 things they think you should know up front/newly diagnosed. One tip pertains to tissue testing so thought that might be crucial early on.
http://www.slideshare.net/kathayes/a-patients-perspective-on-being-newly-diagnosed-with-gbm
more to come probably....and maybe i should deliver a wall sized white board instead of your spreadsheets :)
carey ryckman
Come to St Jude. I know you do not know me but we do have a mutual friend on Facebook and she posted this blog site. I am a social worker at St Jude. I have seen many happy endings with brain tumors through their treatment. While it is still chemo and radiation, they are the best at what they do. They are the best pediatric oncology hospital in the nation and that has been proven over and over. All of your expenses will be paid for, including traveling to Memphis, housing, food, and all of her treatments. All you need to do is ask your doctor for a referral and St Jude can get you a flight booked and have you all here the next day.
ReplyDeleteAlso, from what I have seen, chemo and radiation may be difficult for all of you and may reduce her quality of life while she is undergoing the active treatments. However, it can lengthen and increase her quality of life afterwards (even if it does not completely rid her of cancer).
Don't give up. You are all in my prayers. Maybe I will see you at St Jude soon.
Josh,
ReplyDeleteI posted on the Northland site regarding Dr. Henry Freidman from Duke. There are interviews with him on youtube. A friend of mine from high school shared with me that her mother has been battling GBM for five years and has met with successful treatments from Duke. I hope this is helpful to you. Praying for you guys and Ava everyday, brother. My name is Sandy Bloom (can't get this url thing to cooperate), and I'm on facebook. My friend on facebook is Shannon Palassis Montgomery. She would be very happy to share her mother's story with you. I have already told her she might hear from you guys.
I am a GMO OM and moved from Altamonte (your neighborhood) to Boston a few years ago. Mass General has a Proton Beam Machine. I hear amazing things about it. Children with malignant brain tumors get top priority. Dr. Theadore S. Kong, in Radiation Oncology, might be a good contact. 617-726-5866.
ReplyDeleteMany Massachusetts prayers are being lifted day and night for Ava and your family.
Diane Jones
Hi there! My husband, Jeff and Issac were in a CLC Bible study together and I know Rhonda! I grew up with Ashli Evans. We are praying for Ava!
ReplyDeleteI have a friend on the alternative medication Protocel. Here is some information about it. There is a listing of a child with a brain tumor. I know you are searching for anything and this is something I have heard of that might be worth investigating!
Love in Christ,
Becky and Jeff Junod
My cousin is a pediatric nurse in ATL. She said one of the leading pediatric neuro oncologists works there. Dr. Anna Janss - she is said to treat each child as if she were her own and is apparently on the cutting edge of research with several trials in the the works.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.hemonctoday.com/article.aspx?rid=60324
ReplyDeleteI forgot to reference the book she told me about...
ReplyDeletehttp://www.outsmartyourcancer.com/
Becky
Dory's son is a top child cancer dr at Anderson in Houston. He's flown out to give presentations at various conferences. He helped treat Kathy Adams's grandchild. I'll contact my mom to check with Dory if she hasn't already touched base with you or your folks. We continue to pray for you. Jennie Li
ReplyDeletePraying for you guys. I HATE cancer and have dealt with it in my family as well. It makes me so angry. I read your blog and pray for you all daily. Lots of research going on I am sure with you guys! I would do the same. Pray, and then let God lead you where he wants you to go. Dont second guess, just go where he points you too. I found a website called clinicaltrials.gov Seems to be a good way to find some good clinical trials. Maybe you all need to go to a top notch cancer center for children (forgot all the names, but am sure you already know of them by now) These are just some of the things I would look into. I also have a 5 year old and am giving advice on what I would do with my little boy. I think you have Godly wisdom and direction with seeking all of us to help. VERY wise. God is looking upon you all. He is VERY close to you right now. I pray for you each to have direction but most of all that little warrior will be healed completely!
ReplyDeleteI am Peter Centofante's Mom. I have no experience with what you are going through
ReplyDeletebut I can, have and will pray for you. I
have read your blog and have been impacted
with your reaction to what the Lord has allowed Ava and your family to go through.
He will not let this experience to go to waste...may we all quickly learn the lessons we need to learn from this crises and come out the other side better, in God's eyes, than we were before entered this trial. You
and your brother and your wife have already
touched my heart and mind with what you have shared in your blogs about your faith and
confidence in the Lord as in, "Though He
slay me, I will hope in Him " Job 15:13a
because in an earthly sense the only future
those who know Him can know for sure is
Salvation. The rest is up to Him because he knows us best, loves us most, and His ways are higher than ours.
I have had experience with alternative medicine that has helped me with some health
problems so I am attracted to The Burzynski
Clinic (Suzanne Somers has advocated his work
in Knockout) and the the DC of Kenemuth Chiropractic Office. As you navigate each and every day may you tangibly feel God bless and keep you every moment ... all ways and always.
I highly recommend National Institutes of Health, the nation's medical research agency. They are cutting edge! You can look through the attached link for glioblastoma multiforme clinical trials and see if any may be appropriate.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=Glioblastoma+Multiforme&recr=Open&rslt=&type=&cond=&intr=&outc=&lead=&spons=&id=&state1=&cntry1=&state2=&cntry2=&state3=&cntry3=&locn=&gndr=&age=0&rcv_s=&rcv_e=&lup_s=&lup_e=
We are praying for you all!
Janelle Jenkins
I work for a large insurance carrier and was speaking to a woman Monday and she told me all about holistic cancer treatments, she told me about the "Hope Lodge" and said anytime someone needed any questions about cancer answered to contact them. A simple search online found this info... http://www5.cancer.org/docroot/subsite/hopelodge/locations.asp
ReplyDeleteThere is also 2 women that go to a local Winter Park Church who sought alternative cancer treatments out of Germany. Not quite sure if they would be able to provide treatment for the type of illness your family is facing but you can go to the following website and maybe contact the Pastor at this church to find out additional information.
http://www.preachertom.com/
God bless, many prayers!
Hey Josh,
ReplyDeleteBelow is part of an abstract from a 01/10 medical journal. It details a new treatment that is in the clinical phase and has shown very promising results.
Ask the doctors about EGFRvIII.
Here is part of the abstract...A peptide derived from the EGFRvIII junction can be used as a vaccine to prevent or induce the regression of tumors. This peptide vaccine has now proceeded to phase 1 and 2 clinical trials where it has been highly successful and is now undergoing investigation in a larger human clinical trial for patients who have newly diagnosed GBM. In this article, the authors discuss the preclinical data that led to the human trials and the exciting preliminary data from the clinical trials.
We are praying for you guys,
Kenny and Heidi Jackson
http://www.springerlink.com/content/5123p33n42066168/
ReplyDeleteJosh and Lisa
ReplyDeleteThank you for your honesty. My step-father battled prostate cancer. While he lost his battle 5yrs ago, I believe his life was extended partially because of a diet he followed. It is called the macrobiotic diet. It is a holistic way of eating that helps to increase the good cells in your body that are ruined through traditional chemo and radiation treatments. Although he did have radiation treatments, his prognosis was initially dim. He survived 10 yrs. after his initial diagnosis. The doctors could not explain his continual improvements and how his PSA levels would decrease over time. I will look up some websites and post them for you as soon as I get a chance. I am praying for Ava and your family.
Lisa Montgomery
When I read your request the first thing that came to my mind was a doctor who came to TV45 a few years ago and was on our show. I came home today to hear that Greg was thinking of the same person. He is a believer and his name is Dr. Francisco Contreras. He runs the Oasis of Hope Hospital in Mexico and California. He is a physician, clinical researcher and health educator who has been on CNN and MSNBC before. Dr. Contreras specializes in integrative and alternative cancer treatment. You can download his book for free to learn more of his philosophy - it's called "Hope, Medicine and Healing." The website is oasisofhope.com and the phone number is 888-500-HOPE. Please know that we are praying without ceasing for Ava and your whole family.
ReplyDeleteWith love,
Kristen & Greg Mikesell
Hi Josh,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Rob Cornelius. You probably don't remember me, I grew up with your brother Joel. I think the last time we saw each other you were selling my mom kitchen knives, which inspired me to become strong enough to cut a penny in half.
Put Keryx Biopharmaceuticals into your database. They started a trail on recurrent pediatric tumors last year. I have been following them over the past 18 months or so and this drug is getting great reviews with all kinds of cancers. Here's a link I found about the trial.
http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/1720352/keryx_biopharmaceuticals_inc_commences_phase_1_study_of_krx0401_perifosine/index.html
We are praying for the Hunter Clan. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me @ robcornelius@hotmail.com
Here is a long list of alternative medical options.. Please know our prayers are with you all. Thank you for bravely allowing all of us share your journey.
ReplyDeleteGene and Mary Ort, Niles, Michigan
#1.Google: Ben Williams PHD
Authored a book: Surveying Terminal Cancer
He survived GBM
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Ben+Williams+PHD&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
#2.Dr. Burzynski
Alternative Cancer Clinic in Texas
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Dr.+Burzynski&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
#3.Google: Dr. Gonzalez, GBM
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Dr.+Gonzalez,+GBM&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
#4. Cancer Treatment from Jordan Rubin
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Cancer+Treatment+from+Jordan+Rubin&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
#5. A nutritional option.
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=monavievo.com&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
#6. This is "out there".. just short of running around the TV.
http://books.google.com/books?id=W8hkwFaHT-0C&dq=hulda+clark+brain+cancer&printsec=frontcover&source=in&hl=en&ei=_kgtTKKKJ5nrnQeN9Ij5Aw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=12&ved=0CFEQ6AEwCw
Hi Mr. Hunter,
ReplyDeleteI saw this evening that a mutual friend of ours, Bob Fanok, had posted something on Facebook regarding your open approach in the quest of pursuing alternative methods so as to find help for your daughter. I find it almost too coincidental that 27 minutes after I had watched a film that has been in my possession for almost a year, I find a post regarding you and your daughter's current state of health. The title of the film is "Healing Cancer from the Inside Out". Some parts tend to drone one while others (particularly the interview with T. Colin Campbell) provide intriguing empiricial information. Ultimately, the film promotes a dietary approach to the healing of a variety of cancers... There is a part in the film where they display a scrolling list the types of cancer that a dietary approach has healed and GBM is one of them. From what I gather, it is the act of limiting or essentially abolishing the consumption of animal proteins that creates a less desirable environment for which the cancer may grow. Changing your daughter's diet (and maybe even yours) may be an option to explore... It certainly seems a lot easier than throwing sunflowers at a TV. :) Aside from you and your daughter, this film has actually convinced me to begin my own exploration of an alternative lifestyle aside from that of the omnivorous one I have been living for 26rs. Take care. Best wishes and lots of love.
-brittany
Josh - My sister and I went to Lyman with you (Ashley & Mandy Mossman) and first of all we want you to know that Ava and your family will be in our prayers constantly. We were heartbroken to hear of Ava's diagnosis but know that we serve a BIG God and believe He will hear our prayers (as well as the prayers of many) for your precious girl.
ReplyDeleteSecondly...As I was talking to Mandy tonight about your latest blog post, she told me to mention to you about this blog she follows. His name is David and he was diagnosed with cancer last year and has followed inconventional treatment ways through diet and things and just thought you might want to read up on his research that he has done...he is a very strong Christian man too. His blog link is: http://www.jumpdavidjump.typepad.com/jump_david_jump/
I know you have alot of comments/suggestions to go through but maybe he has some info that would be pertinent and helpful for you all.
Lifting prayers with you,
Ashley Woodard & Mandy Rose
Josh and Lisa,
ReplyDeleteI have been reading all of the comments tonight. I actually was giving you the same website that Sam Pratt did! I guess great minds think alike? This doctor is in Houston, has been researching many kinds of cancer for the past 30 years, including many childhood brain tumors. He has developed a treatment that targets only the cancer cells, not the healthy ones. He was recommended to me by the owner of the company where I work. He is a cancer survivor and does alot of research on his own on new cancer treatments.
The website is www.burzynskiclinic.com. Just wanted to pass it along to you as I know you will be considering many different choices in the days to come.
Peter and I continue to pray without ceasing for little Ava and for your whole family. The Lord is holding you all in His hands.
Much love,
Connie K
http://www.healingcancernaturally.com/
ReplyDeleteflaxseed oil and cottage cheese.....maybe that's close to dancing around but it had some amazing testimonials and it got me thinking.
http://www.virtualtrials.com/transfried1.cfm
ReplyDeleteThis is a link to a discussion about different alternatives with a specialist in the area responding. Within the conversation is mention of several different treatments. This would be a good way to gather a list of treatments to look into.
Michael and Jennifer O'Steen
Summit Church
You are in our prayers!
Holistic and complementary medicine can certainly be used WITH conventional treatments (RT, Chemo, etc.)
ReplyDeleteThe question would be... are there studies out there that support use of holistic and complementary medicine treatments as PRIMARY solution? Can they significantly impacting cancer or stage?
As you do in-depth research, don't forget to tap into information provided by top cancer centers in US, brain cancer survivors and caregivers too. Compare what you learned to holistic treatments including diet, tea, herbs, acupuncture, vitamins...
Also, keep your eyes opened for unreliable sources... go to http://www.quackwatch.org/index.html
Praying for all of you!
This is interesting...check out this link, it talks about the Vaccine called CDX-110 that triggers immune system to attack cancerous brain cells. http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/03/04/vaccine.brain.cancer/index.html?hpt=C2
ReplyDeleteI tried to look through and see if this is already posted...sorry if I missed it. It is contact info regarding trials at MD Anderson.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.mdanderson.org/education-and-research/departments-programs-and-labs/departments-and-divisions/investigational-cancer-therapeutics/contact-information/index.html
Josh,when you strapped on the gear and crouched behind the plate,I didnt give you much hope. You proved me wrong. When you struck out with the bases loaded in a important tournament,I admired your character when you made the comment, QUOTE,I am glad it was me I can handle it. These small memories were only baby steps that have been followed by many giant steps to show that Josh Hunter is a GIANT of a man himself.Now as you strap on the gear of Faith and stand on the word of God you are prepared to win this battle. I can only imagine the pain and confusion but your team mates will stand strong in prayer and encouragement as you have done all your life. It is an honor to be part of your team and I am ready and available. You now are calling the pitches and are a great coach,so put us in coach and call on us with any need. Only you and I will understand that this message is amazingly sincere to this situation and comes from someone that has witnessed your maturity in Christ and believes that God will heal Ava totally. May God Bless Your family, hugs, kisses. and prayer to Ava, Lisa, and Noah.
ReplyDeleteCOACH R
Josh,
ReplyDeleteI hope you saw Angie Stidman's comment earlier on Ava's page about trials going on at Children's Hospital in Boston. I spent time there as a child and KNOW of miracles performed there through our Lord!
Love, hugs and kisses for all of you!!
"May you, Josh and Lisa, be made strong, with all the strength which comes from God's glorious power, so that you may endure everything,(every decision, every option, every battle, every challenge, every day) with patience." Colossians 1:12. I'm praying God leads you to the right treatment for sweet Ava and praying for complete healing.
ReplyDeleteJosh:
ReplyDeleteAs promised, I just finished reading the Brazilian book.
My husband found a free English version available online. Here is the link: http://www.aloearborescens.org/Summary.pdf
Please feel free to email me with any questions. lockmoura@gmail.com
Our love and prayers to all of you, Sylvia.
Pastor Hunter,
ReplyDeletehttp://radicalfilms.co.uk/2008/01/09/the-amazing-story-of-royal-rife-the-man-who-cured-cancer-in-1934-and-was-subsequently-never-heard-of-again/
Praying for Ava, and your family,
Love the Goss family in CO
jegbutterfly@aol.com
I feel ridiculous posting this as I have no knowledge of anything related to tumors. However, I did a search since you asked for any form of help and I came up with this. I pray it or something else helps tremendously:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.healingcancernaturally.com/brain-cancer-cure-testimonials.html
There are so many praying. And, it is ok to cry...it's not even a child we know but we cry too.
K. Stevenson
Here is another....
ReplyDeletehttp://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4011961n&tag=related;photovideo
Love,
Jenna Goss(Denver, CO)
jegbutterfly@aol.com
Pastor Hunter,
ReplyDeleteOk this is the one I was looking for for you....
http://hubpages.com/hub/How-I-Cured-Stage-4-Cancer-in-Two-Weeks-For-Less-Than-The-Cost-Of-A-Night-At-The-Movies
I started reading this book when my father was diagnoised with pancreatic cancer, and I was so convinced that I took the book with me so I could show the Dr. what I wanted them to try for my dad....however on my way to see my dad, I was on the train to Chicago, he died....but I am still convinced today that this man is correct...his father was a biochemist....it's so simple and yet so complex...please get this book and ask the doctors to test Ava'a PH balance...if it's to alkaline or to acidic then follow the book to get her levels back to normal....I hope this helps....
Love,
Jenna Goss (Denver, CO)former member of your church.
jegbutterfly@aol.com
We found this in our search:
ReplyDeleteThis is a forum discussion http://csn.cancer.org/node/153755
Response from someone who had GBM
It can be cured!
Dsharlee,
I modestly disagree with your statement. I had a GBM in 2007, it came back in 2010, and I recently had surgery. I feel I'm now cancer free and on a right treatment plan, even though most oncologists try to tell me I "have GBM." I feel this is simply a slight ignorance on their part in diagnosing me. You see the definition of a glioblastoma multiforme, is that it is a tumor made of malignant astrocyte cells. GBM is not a disease you are stuck with for life. I also don't agree with doctors when they tell us that you always have microscopic GBM cells that will keep coming back and creating tumors. While we all have mutated cells running around in us our whole lives, our bodies natural apoptosis and immune system usually take care of them if our system is working properly. If you look at Avastin.com, (which is the newest FDA-approved drug, a blood-vessel growth inhibitor, for treating GBMs and other cancers). The stats on it are "incredible" - 42% of patients lived 9 months instead of 6, and somewhere around 40% of patients who lived past 1 year, made it to two or three years-find the exact stats on avastin.com
Anyways, the site says that if you "have GBM", this could be for you. They don't say, "If you have a GBM", and think there is a huge difference here. While this could be a stretch
I honestly feel this is a marketing tactic that drug companies use to sell their stuff. This might also be a stretch for some, but I found in the New England Journal of Medicine (the most widely circulated and oldest medical journal) that members on an FDA approval board for a new drug or medicine, are allowed to receive up to 50 grand from the company soliciting their approval. They can recieve more, but only if the FDA issues a waiver for them to recieve more. This waiver is supposedly approved 50% of the time, according to an article in USA Today.
Praying with BOLDNESS!!!
From a forum discussion on:
ReplyDeletehttp://csn.cancer.org/node/153755
I had a GBM in 2007, it came back in 2010, and I recently had surgery. I feel I'm now cancer free and on a right treatment plan, even though most oncologists try to tell me I "have GBM." I feel this is simply a slight ignorance on their part in diagnosing me. You see the definition of a glioblastoma multiforme, is that it is a tumor made of malignant astrocyte cells. GBM is not a disease you are stuck with for life. I also don't agree with doctors when they tell us that you always have microscopic GBM cells that will keep coming back and creating tumors. While we all have mutated cells running around in us our whole lives, our bodies natural apoptosis and immune system usually take care of them if our system is working properly. If you look at Avastin.com, (which is the newest FDA-approved drug, a blood-vessel growth inhibitor, for treating GBMs and other cancers). The stats on it are "incredible" - 42% of patients lived 9 months instead of 6, and somewhere around 40% of patients who lived past 1 year, made it to two or three years-find the exact stats on avastin.com
Anyways, the site says that if you "have GBM", this could be for you. They don't say, "If you have a GBM", and think there is a huge difference here. While this could be a stretch
I honestly feel this is a marketing tactic that drug companies use to sell their stuff. This might also be a stretch for some, but I found in the New England Journal of Medicine (the most widely circulated and oldest medical journal) that members on an FDA approval board for a new drug or medicine, are allowed to receive up to 50 grand from the company soliciting their approval. They can recieve more, but only if the FDA issues a waiver for them to recieve more. This waiver is supposedly approved 50% of the time, according to an article in USA Today.
Dear friend in Christ,
ReplyDeleteMichele O'Donnell is a health care provider, minister, and counselor. She began the first metabolic-oriented Holistic Health Care Center in San Antonio, TX. Her clinic combines spiritual and emotional healing with physical and metabolic treatment. She treats the patient as a whole.
During the last 25 years, she has treated thousands of patients. She recognized that there were Principles of Life that when understood and adhered to, resulted in HEALING no matter what the disease or how severe the symptoms.
I encourage you to research her website: LIVINGBEYONDDISEASE.COM
She has written a trilogy of books. Please get a copy to read as you make these important decisions. The first book is called: 'Of Monkeys and Dragons-Freedom from the Tyranny of Disease.' This book changed my outlook on life and may help you find answers you are looking for. I promise, you will not be able to put it down. You can also arrange for her to call you personally free of charge.
I believe Ava is whole, complete, and made in the perfect image of God....therefore, the healing is already taking place.
~God bless each one of you!
Hi Josh -
ReplyDeleteI am researching several hours a day, looking at both Western and Alternative methods. I am in the middle of correspondence with several researchers (I went for Western, first) including those doing work on the DCVAX vaccine at UCLA and Moffitt. I am also working contacts I have at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, and Duke.
I won't get in touch with you unless I have something that seems real and promising, and until I have had direct contact with the practitioner in question.
In the meantime, Ava, Noah, Lisa and you all are receiving Kim's and my love, and prayers.
Always,
Tom Cannold
We see an amazing Naturopathic Doctor in Denver - Dr Peter Petropulos at The Life Center - 303-850-0880. If anyone would know alternative routes for you, he would. He has been our primary doctor for 13 years, he loves God, and I can't recommend him enough. I pray you find the right answers.
ReplyDeleteJeanne Wallace, PhD, CNC, practices in the area of clinical nutrition and oncology, specifically with malignant brain tumors such as GBM. She consults with cancer patients and oncologists. There is a Google video of a 40-minute presentation that she gave at a conference at JFK Medical Center, "Nutritional Strategies to Complement Brain Tumor Treatments" that describes her approach to nutritional interventions and the basis for them when dealing with malignant cancer. She is not anti-radiation, chemo, etc, but describes how using nutritional treatments concurrently help to increase their efficacy, and she references peer-reviewed journals in her recommendations. The video conference is at: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8203376527577997655# It is not difficult for the non-medical person to understand. Also, her website is: www.nutritional-solutions.net.
ReplyDeleteJosh and Lisa,
ReplyDeleteI have been researching GBM tumors since you got the diagnosis. Until now I've found mostly negative statistics regarding treatment and recovery. Then I cam across this site:
http://www.yasg.com/bios02.html
Please check it out!! It has the stories of many GBM SURVIVORS and what kind of treatments they received and where! Even if it doesn't lead you to the perfect treatment it could be a great source of encouragement to know others have survived this monster!
My family and I are praying for you daily!
I am in tears reading your post. Praying that Ava is healed. Our God still performs miracles today.
ReplyDeleteHi Josh,
ReplyDeleteHere's what I got, so far....hope it helps.
I will keep on looking....
This first web link seemed very informative about alternatives to fighting this.
On our knees in prayer for your Ava and all of you.
Love,
Ray and Kari
http://www.justonemoreday.org/TreatingPontineGl
iomas/Nutrition&Supplements.html
-------------------------------------------
Naturopathic alternative for fighting GBM:
http://www.denvernaturopathic.com/news/glioblastoma.html
-----------------------------------------
UCLA Neuro-Oncology publishes real-time survival data for patients with this diagnosis. They are the only institution in the United States that shows how their patients are performing.
http://www.neurooncology.ucla.edu/Performance/GlioblastomaMultiforme.aspx#DIV2
--------------------------------------------
New Drug approved by FDA, AVASTIN,to block the VEGF protein.
http://www.tahoecancercenter.com/Content.aspx?Section=cancernews&DocumentID=43508
------------------------------------------
KETOGENIC DIET and GBM
In the mid-1990s research began on treatment using a ketogenic diet to slow the progression of malignant glioma cancer cell growth. The ketogenic diet was originally developed in the 1920s for the treatment of epilepsy in children, but through further research the process of ketosis has been found to help treat other neurological disorders as well.
Ketosis
Malignant tumors rely on glucose and glycolysis for growth and survival due to abnormalities in the number and function of their mitochondria. The ketogenic diet causes the brain to transition to ketone bodies, fats and proteins, as their primary energy source, and due to caloric restriction exploits the metabolic deficiencies of the cancer cells. At the same time, the increased fat and protein help to enhance the vitality of the normal neurons, as well as the rest of the body.
Ketogenic Diet
The ketogenic diet consists of high fat, moderate protein and low carbohydrate content, with restricted caloric intake. The ratio of fat and protein to carbohydrates is usually 4:1, with the intention of restricting the amount of glucose available to the malignant cancer cells in the brain in order to restrict tumor growth. Some simple tips for initiating the ketogenic diet include eating plenty of raw vegetables, because they are high in fiber and antioxidants. Avocados, eggs and cheese provide good amounts of fat and proteins as well as adding flavor to meals and can be used in several different recipes. Spaghetti squash can replace pasta, potatoes and rice in many recipes and will keep whole at room temperature for several weeks, providing a very low-carbohydrate dietary substitute.
Diet Implementation
The ketogenic diet begins with a 24-hour fasting period, where the patient consumes only water. During this period the healthy cells transition from reliance on glucose to fats and proteins for energy. The patient remains under close medical supervision during this period and works with a dietician throughout the diet. Even one meal off of the limits of the 4:1 ratio of fat to carbohydrates could reverse the positive effects of the ketogenic diet on cancer cell growth restriction.
------------------------------------------
(HAMLET) kills human glioblastoma cells in brain
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15026350
(fyi: HAMLET can apparently be found in breastmilk)
I watched a documentary called "The Beautiful Truth" about Dr. Gerson's Theory. It might be worth checking out. Best of luck to you and your family. Sending prayers your way!!
ReplyDeleteDuh, sorry... you probably have this by now:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.stjude.org
You probably have all of this information, but just in case ... http://home.earthlink.net/~sdepesa/
ReplyDeletePraying!
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Phil 4:8
ReplyDeletePraying for a miracle for Ava.
This website may or may not help, but worth a try. http://www.curesearch.org/
ReplyDeleteDuke University and Sloan Kettering have always been well-known in the treatment of pediatric brain tumors. I think it would be worth talking to someone at each of these wonderful hospitals.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.dukechildrens.org/services/neuro-oncology
http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/2866.cfm
Josh & Lisa,
ReplyDeleteYou must be overwhelmed with all of this information. I love to see everyone diving in to help your sweet baby girl. Please know that we are praying relentlessly for her and your entire family.
I sent Kelly K. a long e-mail about an Amish man named Solomon Wickey from Indiana. I figured I should send it directly to you since time is of the essence.
Please google his name....He his a God-fearing man who (through Jesus) heals. WHILE investigating other options, please consider sending him a picture of Ava along with a letter. He will write back. He doesn't have a phone nor does he charge. People come from all over to see him. Many of them have been cured from cancer.
I was hesitant about sharing this information, but I just had to. I haven't thought about him in years....and now that's all I can think about.
Here is his address:
5554 North Scotts Ridge Rd.
R.R.2 Box 271
Madison, Indiana 47250
Solomon has a different mailing address:
ReplyDeleteSOLOMON WICKEY
6308 CR 43
AUBURN,IN. 46706
He also has an e-mail?
MASSAGERUS@AOL.COM
It's worth a shot....
Much love to you all!
My brother in CA sent me this...
ReplyDeleteI'm sure they've looked at all of this. Thought there might be a clinical trial to offer some hope. I don't think the link below is appropriate for them, but thought I'd pass it along. http://www.dana-farber.org/Apps/clinical_trials/search.aspx?search_text=gbm
We'll keep researching.
Our congregation is praying much for you all.
ReplyDeleteI am praying fervently for sweet Ava and your entire family. God hears your cries. I pray for comfort for the entire Hunter family.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.virtualtrials.com/pdf/Friedman.pdf
ReplyDeleteThis is specificically about treatment protocols for GBM tumors and has this quote:
"Patients with glioblastoma multiforme
are not universally incurable with an
ever-increasing, albeit small,
fraction of patients who appear
to survive the disease."
The study is done out of Duke. A friend of ours had a son with stage IV Neurobastoma and they were told at many hospitals here in FL that there was no hope for him and they should just make him as comfortable as possible. They kept looking and found new treatments at Duke. It is 8 years later and he is cancer free!!
http://angelosmiracle.com/christys-update-june10th/
ReplyDeleteGlance thru Angelo's history- he is a miracle of God's healing!
Breakthrough helps at St. Jude's Hospital, Josh:) And....finances are not an issue there:)
ReplyDeleteFrom Florida to Georgia to Pennsylvania and New Hampshire, our family is praying for your sweet Ava. Thank you for sharing the truth of your heart's journey as well as Ava's, Josh. In less than a week's time, you have already inspired countless hundreds. You'd rather not have had that impact this way - no one wants to walk the cancer journey! - but God is using it and your gift for writing to touch hundreds of lives. To hear a father's heart expressed is so rare, but you have let us all in. Thank you for that generous gift. You are greatly loved and prayed for!
Our hearts and prayers are with you here in Indiana. I will do some research to see what we can find you guys. It seems you've got a great group already getting you some great results.
ReplyDeleteIf there is anything else we can do PLEASE ask.
Your little girl remains on my heart daily....our God is faithful, He is big, and He is mighty. We are believing with you.
In Christs Love,
Jordan & Krista Kerns
Elkhart, IN
ST Jude's childrens hospital:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.stjude.org/stjude/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=d6eafa2454e70110VgnVCM1000001e0215acRCRD&vgnextchannel=3bdbbfe82e118010VgnVCM1000000e2015acRCRD
http://www.stjude.org/stjude/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=b4dcbfe82e118010VgnVCM1000000e2015acRCRD
Hey Josh and Lisa:
ReplyDeleteThe way you are walking through this time makes you both my heroes. Been praying for you guys, Ava and Noah constantly. I have been doing research and this resource site www.virtualtrials.com keeps coming up in the writings of patients who have been in Ava's position. Along the way I found this PDF which may contain some helpful info. The link is http://www.virtualtrials.com/pdf/FriedmanReview2009.pdf ...... I will keep looking and in the meantime if you have other practical needs that I might help you with please let me know. Me and Tracy love you and our prayers and those of our families and friends are with you.
Josh -
ReplyDeleteHere is the first real piece of information I have for you.
I have been in touch with Dr. Stephen Gottschalk, at Texas Children's Hospital, which is associated with Baylor's College of Medicine. He has given me some referrals, which I will pass on if they bear fruit.
Perhaps more importantly, he is doing research that Ava may qualify for: "We are in the process of developing a Phase I clinical study for patients with GBM using antigen-specific T cells but it probably will take us another 6 to 9 months before the study is open to enroll patients."
I know six-to-nine months may seem quite distant right now, but it may be worth it to stay in contact with Dr. Gottschalk, to keep Ava at the top of his list. He is aware of Ava and her condition, and his email is smgottsc@txccc.org.
All the best,
Tom Cannold
tbcannold@aol.com
Josh and Lisa,
ReplyDeleteAva is in our thoughts and prayers moment by moment. As your story is unfolding to all of us out here, we are blessed by you to share it with us. We are all honored to be able to give our energy to Ava and your family. My wife and can clearly understand your situation. Our only child deals with a incurable disease that has been a daily challenge going on 26yrs now. The road ahead is a hard one and you'll be forever be in our thoughts and prayers. Jesus will take care of Ava. That we can be sure of. God Bless all of you.
Dear Josh and Lisa,
ReplyDeleteI am a nurse and I work for a Pharmaceutical Company (I monitor clinical drug trials). My company has performed clinical trials in GBM in adults only so I asked if there was any possibility of emergency IND treatment in a 5 year old but the results in adults was mixed so the answer is no. However, in my conversation with my boss, she gave me the name of a pediatric oncologist at Duke (Joanne Kurtzberg --phone = 919-668-1119, kurtz001@mc.duke.edu) who treats children with leukemia (and conducts pediatric cancer research and has also successfully treated a child with CP--using stem cells--with a complete healing to date). She may be worth a call. I am praying for you both and Ava, and my boss (in PA) aked for her name so she and a group of co-workers there can add her to their prayer list. In Chrsit, Irene Hummel
http://www.healingcancernaturally.com/brain-cancer-cure-testimonials.html
ReplyDeleteA potential holistic approach.. I don't know much about GBM, but our Lord knows all.
I'll stop and pray throughout the day for all of you.
There was a post on a fb group from a lady whose child survived GBM. She mentioned a hospital that I googled and it's "One of the top three childhood cancer centers in the country, the Aflac Cancer Center is treats more than 300 new cancer patients each year and follows more than 1,500 patients ..."
ReplyDeletewww.choa.org/default.aspx?id=244 Here is the post:
Here is her name and post, you could send her a private message through fb. Just search her name.
Laurie French Haas: Because my 13 year old only child is a survivor of GBM brain cancer and Cure has been a great support to us through our journey at AFLAC Cancer Center at CHOA! Thank you Cure! Imagine a day.....
Josh: I volunteer on the Disaster Relief Team at Northland and work under the direction of Gretchen Kerr. I sent some pages from Boston's Children Hosptial, its Brain Tumor Program, and the profile for the Neurologist-in-Chief to Gretchen (and Robert Andrescik) and asked one of them to get it to you. Boston's Children Hospital is the pediatric teaching hospital for Harvard Medical school. They appear to be the top in their field and have several trials you may want to consider for Ava. Praying without ceasing for Ava and your family - Debbie Hanley
ReplyDeleteI found this blog about a 7 year old girl in NY diagnosed with GBM. After a 3 year battle she is in remission with clear scans.
ReplyDeletehttp://hannahpro.blogspot.com/
Here is the contact information for her mother, the creator of the blog:
Contact information
Our email:
kprokop@optonline.net
Our address:
The Prokops
1556 Grand Avenue
Mattituck, NY 11952
631-298-3580
If nothing else they may be able to provide support and educated advice!
Josh and Lisa,
ReplyDeleteMemorial Sloan-Kettering (NY)
Mayo Clinic (Rochester)
University of Miami
M.D. Anderson (Houston)
Duke
Massachusetts General Hospital
Washington University (St. Louis)
Shands (Gainesville)
These are the places that I always think of... University of Miami has been using a treatment called a Gliadel Wafer - it's a wafer of Chemotherapy implanted where the tumor was excised. I know that isn't an "alternative" therapy but it seems that there has been some benefit in some cases. Here's a link about the Gliadel wafer and a link to another site that is a foundation for brain tumors which updates and links to clinical trials and their location:
http://www.med.miami.edu/news/view.asp?id=31
http://www.virtualtrials.org/musella.cfm
Will send more if I come across anything/anyone else that might help.
Praying every day every time I think about Ava and your family. Continual prayers for the entire journey.
Amanda Leppert
Dear Lisa and Josh,
ReplyDeleteI do not know you all. My family knows Isaac real well, he married my husband and I and still to this day is a blessing to our family even though we moved away. I am in prayer for your sweet child and for your family. I have a dear friend here in Ocala whose wife is in an ongoing battle with cancer and was given little to no hope - she sees Dr. David Molthrop at the Florida Cancer Research Center there in Orlando. Just a thought to perhaps speak with him. My friend's name is Martha Crawford and she has become a family member of that wonderful place. She has found hope there. The doctors are Christian and she attributes this to her healing. Hope they can be of help to Ava. Teresa Feather
Hi Josh,
ReplyDeleteAlthough I don't now you guys too well...I have had the opportunity to hang out with Noah in the Lodge in the past before going to the Waterford Campus. Anyways, first know that our God hears your prayers and he holds every tear you shed in his palm. He hears you. Thousands of people in His kingdom are praying for sweet Ava. We believe in miracles!!!!
I wanted to pass on the info. for a doctor hear in Longwood by the name of Dr. Don Colbert. He does alternative medicine but he is an M.D. as well. He works closely with my friends son who is a brain cancer survivor. He is a man after God's own heart and He will help you guys walk through this journey no matter what treatments you choose. His number is 407-331-7007. The website is http://www.drcolbert.com/
The pediatric neuro oncologist they saw for their son was Dr. Amy Smith from Shands (Gainesville). It was not the same type of cancer but he had stage 4 brain cancer (2 yrs ago) and Praise God...today he is cancer free.
I also wanted to share this website of a family right here in Winter Garden who are dealing with brain cancer in their little boy.
http://www.noahslightfoundation.org/#/home
Love,
The Herrero Family
Hi Josh...
ReplyDeleteSt. Judes has several clinical trials going on now, some of which Ava may qualify for (SJHG04-Phase I/II trial for intracranial high grade gliomas, CNS621-for childhood high-grade gliomas). Here is the website for links to those trials: http://www.stjude.org/stjude/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=4931bfe82e118010VgnVCM1000000e2015acRCRD
Also, Dr. Amar Gajjar, MD, Director of Neuro-Oncology, and Tabitha Doyle, RN, Coordinator of the Brain Tumor Program have contact info at the site. 901-595-2455, or they also have a 24 hr, 7 day per week weblink at that site.
Praying for Ava and the wisdom to determine your next steps.
My daughter was diagnosed with a GBM at age 24 and died 4 1/2 years later. Though she did not experience a cure, both she and I experienced healing and peace. My advice is seek an opinion at the Duke University brain tumor center -- one of the best in the world. Perhaps their advice might be more traditional, but perhaps not. There are many clinical trials worth exploring. Most of all, do NOT give up hope. Good luck. Judy
ReplyDeleteRafael Olmedo
ReplyDeleteI used to work with an MD out of Mass General, named Norbert Liebsch and he specializes in GBM tumors along with others, using Proton Beam Therapy in Cambridge. All of his patients came to use to have MRI's done to see if the therapy was working. A ton of international patients, royalty from France, Canadians, people from all over would come to see... See More him. He is from Germany and you can find a ton of his work on the Internet....here is the MGH link. Good luck. http://www.mgh.harvard.edu/radiationoncology/doctors/doctor.aspx?id=16431
Josh and Lisa,
ReplyDeleteI am praying without ceasing for your precious Ava!
As for what you asked about you are smart to be open minded to alternatives. Please consider:
Food is fuel, and she needs super premium!! Make her diet as alkaline as possible; cancer cannot thrive in an alkaline environment. Acidic foods feed cancer. General guidelines: lots of green veggies - anything green is good, low-sugar fruit like apples,organic brown rice; no flour, no sugar, no meat, ABSOLUTELY NO DAIRY. Whole foods only - NOTHING out of a box or package. To learn more see the book The pH Miracle. God created her body with the ability to fight this disease, but her body needs the tools. Doctors and hospitals don't seem to know this.
Second, have you heard of Cancer Decisions.org?
Dr. Ralph Moss has made it his life's work researching various cancers and the treatments - both conventional and alternative. He has compiled reports on what works and what doesn't.
(I am in no way affiliated with him,BTW) Here is a preview to his report on GBM - phone consults are also available. http://www.cancerdecisions.com/mrstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=613&zenid=38300ce2d54937ef38d997a9adf71d24
Continuing to lift you all up to the Lord!
Gina
Josh - I am praying furiously for you guys. Months ago I started reading about a little girl who has sPNET and what her folks have been through (y'all stories are amazingly similar). I'm going to post their CaringBridge site which has their contact info. I know it's different types of tumors, BUT they've been where you all are and I'm thinking they may be able to help some.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.caringbridge.org/visit/mcraekate
hey josh- i have some info for you- what is your email address?
ReplyDeletei talked to our peds oncology clinic today.
Please email me your email address- mine is julie.tilson@flhosp.org
The book by T Colin Campbell that a previous "post-er" (Britany?) referred to is The China Study. You can have my copy if you like!
ReplyDeleteDear Josh & Lisa,
ReplyDeleteMy sympathy and prayers are with you and your family in such a scary and uncertain time. God is certainly watching over you.
We have not met, but I attend Summit church regularly. I have debated whether to mention what I know, since you are probably on information overload right now, but I'm glad you've asked others to share health tips, so I will.
I have been seeing a chiropractor for 7-8 years now. I originally went at age 16 for severe sciatica (lower back pain) but am amazed at what I've learned and the improvement I've seen in every area of my health since.
What I have learned, thru personal experience and thru the knowledge of the doctors in the office, is that chiropractic is one of the best forms of "medicine" your body can ever receive. I am living proof of this, as I have seen numerous health issues clear up since I began going (I'm the black sheep when it comes to health issues in my family). :)
The reason it is so beneficial is that it removes any pinches (subluxations) in the spine that keep the brain from communicating with the rest of the body to tell it how to function properly. These pinches can occur due to anything from a fall to a car accident and even the birthing process. When these pinches are removed, the body can function and heal itself the way God originally intended it to. Our bodies, rather than doctors or medications or therapy or even chiropractors, are the best doctors there are. God designed them that way.
This relates to your little Ava because cancer cells are naturally occurring in everyone's bodies. What keeps them from growing out of control (into what we call cancer or tumors), tho, is proper immune function, when there is no spinal interference and our brains are allowed to communicate with our organs to tell them how to function properly.
Unfortunately, no medical doctors will tell you this, because it is preventative medicine, and it will keep you out of their offices.
Diet is also crucial. Another shocking thing I learned thru a conference put on by my chiropractor is that cancer thrives on sugar, and that, by eliminating sugar and anything that turns to sugar in the body, you can literally starve cancer. Oxygen kills cancer, and that's what cancer begins to feed off of once all sugars are gone from the body.
If Ava begins to see a chiropractor regularly, changes her diet, and works hard to get her body functioning the way God intended it to, my hope and firm belief is that her body, rather than medicine or therapy, can fight off what is left of this tumor and keep it from ever coming back. It would also probably serve as the least invasive and least harmful option for her body.
It would be important to seek out a chiropractor who is geared toward overall health rather than simply pain management, tho, as there are two schools of thought among chiropractors. Any chiropractor under "Maximized Living" (there are many across the nation) would be a great choice.
If you would like any more information on my personal story, chiropractic, diet, or anything else related to your little Ava, please don't hesitate to contact me. I can get you in touch with my chiropractor, and he can help you, or find someone in your area who can help you, no strings attached. He is a wonderful, Godly man and would love to help in any way possible.
Again, my prayers are with you and your little girl, and I hope what I have shared has been at least somewhat helpful.
God bless,
Kelly Wallace
321-438-0408
jer29eleven@comcast.net
Dear Josh & Lisa,
ReplyDeleteMy sympathy and prayers are with you and your family in such a scary and uncertain time. God is certainly watching over you.
We have not met, but I attend Summit church regularly. I have debated whether to mention what I know, since you are probably on information overload right now, but I'm glad you've asked others to share health tips, so I will.
I have been seeing a chiropractor for 7-8 years now. I originally went at age 16 for severe sciatica (lower back pain) but am amazed at what I've learned and the improvement I've seen in every area of my health since.
What I have learned, thru personal experience and thru the knowledge of the doctors in the office, is that chiropractic is one of the best forms of "medicine" your body can ever receive. I am living proof of this, as I have seen numerous health issues clear up since I began going (I'm the black sheep when it comes to health issues in my family). :)
The reason it is so beneficial is that it removes any pinches (subluxations) in the spine that keep the brain from communicating with the rest of the body to tell it how to function properly. These pinches can occur due to anything from a fall to a car accident and even the birthing process. When these pinches are removed, the body can function and heal itself the way God originally intended it to. Our bodies, rather than doctors or medications or therapy or even chiropractors, are the best doctors there are. God designed them that way.
This relates to your little Ava because cancer cells are naturally occurring in everyone's bodies. What keeps them from growing out of control (into what we call cancer or tumors), tho, is proper immune function, when there is no spinal interference and our brains are allowed to communicate with our organs to tell them how to function properly.
Unfortunately, no medical doctors will tell you this, because it is preventative medicine, and it will keep you out of their offices.
Diet is also crucial. Another shocking thing I learned thru a conference put on by my chiropractor is that cancer thrives on sugar, and that, by eliminating sugar and anything that turns to sugar in the body, you can literally starve cancer. Oxygen kills cancer, and that's what cancer begins to feed off of once all sugars are gone from the body.
cont...
cont...
ReplyDeleteIf Ava begins to see a chiropractor regularly, changes her diet, and works hard to get her body functioning the way God intended it to, my hope and firm belief is that her body, rather than medicine or therapy, can fight off what is left of this tumor and keep it from ever coming back. It would also probably serve as the least invasive and least harmful option for her body.
It would be important to seek out a chiropractor who is geared toward overall health rather than simply pain management, tho, as there are two schools of thought among chiropractors. Any chiropractor under "Maximized Living" (there are many across the nation) would be a great choice.
If you would like any more information on my personal story, chiropractic, diet, or anything else related to your little Ava, please don't hesitate to contact me. I can get you in touch with my chiropractor, and he can help you, or find someone in your area who can help you, no strings attached. He is a wonderful, Godly man and would love to help in any way possible.
Again, my prayers are with you and your little girl, and I hope what I have shared has been at least somewhat helpful.
God bless,
Kelly Wallace
321-438-0408
jer29eleven@comcast.net
I am so sorry you have to go through this. I know that food plays a huge role in healing (and causing). http://www.google.com/#q=fighting+brain+cancer+with+food&hl=en&tbs=bks:1&ei=7hcuTPGhDtP_nQf009HgAw&start=0&sa=N&fp=f962a4f9e1993d63
ReplyDeletehttp://www.amazon.com/Cancer-Therapy-Results-Fifty-Advanced/dp/0961152621/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278089387&sr=1-3
http://www.amazon.com/China-Study-Comprehensive-Nutrition-Implications/dp/1932100660/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278089387&sr=1-12
the 2nd and 3rd sites are worth looking into.
God bless.
Your Sweet Ava is in our prayers: this is a portion of the prayer on St. Patrick's Breastplate:
ReplyDelete"Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of every man who speaks of me,
Christ in the eye that sees me,
Christ in the ear that hears me.
I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through a belief in the Threeness,
Through a confession of the Oneness
Of the Creator of creation. "
God is with you all in everything and will bring you through this, with Love and Strong Faith there is a community praying for you all and HE will hear our prayers!
From my friend Mona:
ReplyDeleteI had an astrocytoma, which is the precursor to the GBM. I had a lot of success using vitamins as a therapy, as well as radiation. The women that I worked with virtually (she's in Utah) was fantastic and has a lot GBM clients who have had success- although I do not know about kids.
Her name is Dr. Jeanna Wallace. The initial consultation is $300, and completely worth it. http://www.nutritional-solutions.net/
www.Nutritional-Solutions.net
www.nutritional-solutions.net
Dear Josh & Lisa,
ReplyDeleteTo answer your call I began researching. I found a boy that was diagnosed with GBM at 4 yrs old in 2004. He is still living and as of May 2010 is in continued remission. His blog is http://www.caringbridge.org/va/drewb/ Maybe contacting them and finding out who they worked with and what they did will provide you with an avenue.
We are broken for you and continue to pray. Ava is a very special little girl that I had the pleasure to get to know at the co-op. You all are in our prayers!!!
In Him, Lorenna Siegrist
I agree with Kelly Wallace (above). We all have "bad stuff" in our bodies the key to wellness is keeping those bad guys in their place through good nutrition and exercise. The spinal chord is the information highway in our body. That being said, the gut is also the key to wellness. An unhealthy gut means a compromised immune system. So how do you fix the body? Well, like Kelly said get an all over wellness chiropractor not just pain management. Ava needs the messages to be running clearly. As far as the healing the gut- you get her on the diet I wrote to you about and get with a homeopathic nutritionist.
ReplyDeleteI know of both kinds of people and they work in the same office, husband and wife. Drs. Lolin and Pete Hilgartner http://drshilgartner.com/. Soon after my son was diagnosed with autism I was told to go see this Dr. Lolin because she had healed this 10 year old of brain cancer, and she really knew her stuff. I thought if she can heal cancer she's my best bet to recover my son from autism. I did everything she said and my son is not autistic anymore! You have a place to stay here if you need.
Learn more about the gut- this is my best resource. gapsdiet.com. If you write to Dr. Campbell-Mcbride personally at medinform@lineone.net and tell her your situation I know she will point you in the right direction. She's a brain surgeon and also a nutritionist. She's a really sweet lady that just wants to help children.
Keely
Josh & Lisa:
ReplyDeleteOne of my coworkers gave me this information to pass on to you. The facility is in Atlanta.
Yes, we take care of kids with GBM. Hopefully she had a good surgical resection. We do have a trial open here that she may be eligible for; our nurse coordinator for this study is Meghan Markley, and her phone number is 404-785-1645. The clinical trial is POETIC 08-01 and combines radiation therapy with Irinotecan(chemotherapy) and Cetuximab(an antibody to EGFR-not chemotherapy); there are no centers in Florida that have this study open. Meghan is here today and will be here next Tuesday-Friday during regular business hours and could give the family more information if they are interested.
POETIC 08-01 Lay Summary—August 21, 2009
This study is for patients at least 3 years old but younger than 22 who have either a diffuse pontine tumor or a high-grade astrocytoma—types of brain tumor. The study is organized and coordinated by POETIC, a consortium of 10 hospitals in North America that conducts clinical trials for children with cancer, and the sponsor is Bristol-Myers Squibb (they provide the drug, cetuximab).
Commonly used treatment for patients with diffuse pontine tumors is radiation therapy, but fewer less than 10% of patients are cured. Adding commonly used chemotherapy has not improved the cure rate. Commonly used treatment for high-grade astrocytomas is surgery and radiation. The surgeon removes as much of the tumor as possible. Radiation after that tries to kill any cancer cells that are left. Some patients also get chemotherapy (anti-cancer drugs). They can be given during or after radiation. Current treatments do not cure many patients.
This study adds a new drug called cetuximab to the treatment and will also use chemotherapy (irinotecan) that has been promising for patients treated for certain recurrent brain tumors. This is a phase II study. A phase II study is done to find out how well the treatment works.
The purposes of this study are: 1) To test the safety of cetuximab when given with radiation therapy; 2) To find out what effects—good and/or bad—treatment with radiation therapy and cetuximab, followed by irinotecan and cetuximab, has on patients and their tumors; 3) To study surgically removed tumor tissue and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) to see if the biological features relate to how well a patient responds to treatment; and 4) To study whether a blood test might explain why some patients treated with cetuximab get a rash. Studywide, 51 patients will participate; CHOA/Emory expects to enroll 5 patients.
Treatment is divided into two phases.
• The first phase is radiation therapy from Monday through Friday for 6 weeks. Cetuximab is given once a week during the 6 weeks.
• Then there will be a 4-to-8-week rest period when patients recover from the first phase.
• The second phase is 10 cycles of irinotecan. Each cycle consists of 2 weeks of treatment given Monday through Friday for 2 weeks. A new cycle begins about
3 weeks after the last cycle is done. Cetuximab is given once a week including weeks when irinotecan is not given.
Patients will have brain MRI scans done about every 3 months for the first year after they finish treatment, and then about every 6 months for the next 2½ years. These are part of standard follow-up for their disease. Patients will be treated for about 40 weeks. After that, they will have follow-up visits about every 3 to 6 months for about 3½ years.
Hope this helps.
-Rebekah Albert
Josh & Lisa:
ReplyDeleteOne of my coworkers gave me this information to pass on to you. The facility is in Atlanta.
Yes, we take care of kids with GBM. Hopefully she had a good surgical resection. We do have a trial open here that she may be eligible for; our nurse coordinator for this study is Meghan Markley, and her phone number is 404-785-1645. The clinical trial is POETIC 08-01 and combines radiation therapy with Irinotecan(chemotherapy) and Cetuximab(an antibody to EGFR-not chemotherapy); there are no centers in Florida that have this study open. Meghan is here today and will be here next Tuesday-Friday during regular business hours and could give the family more information if they are interested.
POETIC 08-01 Lay Summary—August 21, 2009
This study is for patients at least 3 years old but younger than 22 who have either a diffuse pontine tumor or a high-grade astrocytoma—types of brain tumor. The study is organized and coordinated by POETIC, a consortium of 10 hospitals in North America that conducts clinical trials for children with cancer, and the sponsor is Bristol-Myers Squibb (they provide the drug, cetuximab).
Commonly used treatment for patients with diffuse pontine tumors is radiation therapy, but fewer less than 10% of patients are cured. Adding commonly used chemotherapy has not improved the cure rate. Commonly used treatment for high-grade astrocytomas is surgery and radiation. The surgeon removes as much of the tumor as possible. Radiation after that tries to kill any cancer cells that are left. Some patients also get chemotherapy (anti-cancer drugs). They can be given during or after radiation. Current treatments do not cure many patients.
This study adds a new drug called cetuximab to the treatment and will also use chemotherapy (irinotecan) that has been promising for patients treated for certain recurrent brain tumors. This is a phase II study. A phase II study is done to find out how well the treatment works.
The purposes of this study are: 1) To test the safety of cetuximab when given with radiation therapy; 2) To find out what effects—good and/or bad—treatment with radiation therapy and cetuximab, followed by irinotecan and cetuximab, has on patients and their tumors; 3) To study surgically removed tumor tissue and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) to see if the biological features relate to how well a patient responds to treatment; and 4) To study whether a blood test might explain why some patients treated with cetuximab get a rash. Studywide, 51 patients will participate; CHOA/Emory expects to enroll 5 patients.
Treatment is divided into two phases.
• The first phase is radiation therapy from Monday through Friday for 6 weeks. Cetuximab is given once a week during the 6 weeks.
• Then there will be a 4-to-8-week rest period when patients recover from the first phase.
• The second phase is 10 cycles of irinotecan. Each cycle consists of 2 weeks of treatment given Monday through Friday for 2 weeks. A new cycle begins about
3 weeks after the last cycle is done. Cetuximab is given once a week including weeks when irinotecan is not given.
Patients will have brain MRI scans done about every 3 months for the first year after they finish treatment, and then about every 6 months for the next 2½ years. These are part of standard follow-up for their disease. Patients will be treated for about 40 weeks. After that, they will have follow-up visits about every 3 to 6 months for about 3½ years.
Hope this helps.
-Rebekah Albert
Sorry - didn't mean to post that twice.
ReplyDeleteJosh,
ReplyDeleteI am a member of Northland and I happen to work with a number of professional services providers to include doctors. One of my network providers runs one of the largest health & wellness centers in the world, seeing nearly 2,200 patients weekly. His name is Dr Dan Yachter and his office is in Lake Mary. His office uses a total wellness system to address subluxations in the nervous system, bio-nutritional imbalances, neurotoxicity, and much more. His most recent testomonial comes from a man with stage-4 pancreatic cancer. This man was sent home by the allopathic community, and told there was nothing they could do. He miraculously found his way into Dr Yachter's office and now nearly a year later he is cancer free and living life to the fullest without having to go through the pains of chemo and radiation.
Probably even more relevant to your situation, is the story of Jack. Jack was born several years ago and the doctors diagnosed him at birth with Failure to Thrive Syndrome. Jack spent his first 18 months of life on a feeding tube and taking medications reserved for AIDS patients. His parents took him to see every specialist that modern medicine had to offer, and racked up bills in amounts that likely could never be repaid in the process. The mother heard about Dr Yachter from a friend and brought Jack into his office figuring she had nothing to lose at that point. At the time, doctors were amazed that Jack lived longer than a year. Today (roughly 7 years later), Jack is a perfectly healthy child, and his teachers rave that he is one of the smartest kids in his class. It is really a pretty amazing story.
When Vernon informed the congregation what was going on with your daughter last week I wanted to help, but was not sure the best way to do so. When my wife forwarded me your blog post I immediately dropped what I was doing to respond.
I noticed that some folks in their responses are outlining costs associated with respective options. I know that as far as you and your wife are concerned, costs are the last thing on your mind. However, my office will coordinate everything and I will ensure that all costs are covered. While my wife and I have not had the blessing of having children yet, I have always said that my biggest fear would be fighting the kind of fight you guys are fighting now. If I can help even in this small way, I will be more than happy to do so.
You can reach me at (407)284-7685 or at my website, which is www.triumvirateconsult.com.
I hope this helps. I will keep your daughter and your family in my prayers.
Sent you an email from research scientist friend...praying...
ReplyDeleteJeff
Good Afternoon, I attend Summit with my two children one of which is 5. My heart is heavy but hopeful for your family. My boys and I are bathing your family in prayer daily. I work at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin so if you have family coming into town and need rooms please let me know. I am from Boston and we have amazing medical centers so after reading Josh's blog, I emailed the head of Dana Farber in the Pediatric Oncology department. I don't know her but I know the hospital is a renowned for research...I hope it gets you somewhere. God bless with much love. Dawn Ferry
ReplyDeletePlease see the email I recieved below.
Dear Dawn I would encourage your Pastor or the doctor involved in the child's care to contact our Brain Tumour Service and have the films and pathology (if it has ben biopsied) for our input. Contact Maura Ivens at the Dana Farber at 617 632 2680. Kind regards Karen J. Marcus, M.D. Division Chief and Associate Professor Pediatric Radiation Oncology Dana Farber/Children's Hospital Cancer Center Harvard Medical School
Josh and Lisa,
ReplyDeleteA reply from a friend who does research at Washington University and worked with Dr. Jain.
I am introducing you to Dr. Vain Jain, a reputable oncologist who is a warmhearted doctor with expertise in new therapeutic anti-cancer drug development. I worked for Dr. Jain before. I know they are developing a new drug for Diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma (DIPG), an aggressive children brain cancer often happen between age 5-10. I don't know whether DIPG is the same as GBM brain tumor, but you can let the girl's father talk with Dr. Jain, at least get a second opinion.
Dr. Vain Jain's email is vjain@davaonc.com
Amanda Leppert
A friend of mine whose father had GBM passed on a few websites to me in hopes that they may be of help to you:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.virtualtrials.com/
http://www.thejohnphilpthompsonfoundation.org/
She also knows of a neuro-oncologist in Tampa at All Children's who may be able to help, Dr. Stacie Stapleton.
Praying!!
Hi, my name is Amy and I may have some information that you may be interested in. I am passionate about finding things to help cancer patients and especially brain tumor patients. My mom has a brain tumor which was discovered almost 4 years ago. I have more friends than normal with brain tumors thus has spurred my interest in finding things to help and possibly stop the growth of tumors. I have found a few things that have possibly stopped the growth of my mom's tumor. Here are the sites:
ReplyDeleteMy does Freqensea which is derived from sea kelp and marine phytoplankton.
http:// www.forevergreen.org/LegaSea.html
Here are two more websites, one Oncoplex and the clinical studies does with John Hopkings Hopsital, on terminally ill people and animals. There are no adverse reactions taken with any medication, heart, chemo, etc. Food broccolli seed extract. You have to have a prescription to buy from John Hopkins. The other web site I give you is the Vitamin Company I buy from, same brand, same stuff. About $70/every 2.5 months for two people." Here's the webiste: http://www.totaldiscountvitamins.com/product/36955/xymogen?r=tellafriend
Here is some literature on it: www.denvernaturopathic.com/oncoplex.htm
oncoplex
www.denvernaturopathic.com
Patients who have been taking Oncoplex capsules will notice changes in appearance in the coming months. Our manufacturer is switching to a stronger concentrate. The milligram per capsule dose will decrease from 500 to 400 mg. The content of active sulforaphane glucosinolate will remain the same ...
I don't know much about the Oncoplex but I know people who have done it had amazing results as well as the broccoli pill.
May God Bless you and be with you and sweet Ava during this most stressful and scary time.
1 Peter 5: 6-7
Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that in due time He may exalt you, casting all of your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and and for all on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully.
Many prayers sent up for all of you!
Amy Maffei
Josh and Lisa,
ReplyDeletehere is my research result.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthermia_therapy
That´s what our cancer clinic here, is known for. Maybe you can find it in the states as well, and keep looking for something that´s called:
Nano Hyperthermia
count on the "german" prayers
christine
Here are a couple of success stories..
ReplyDeletehttp://burzynskipatientgroup.org/susanh.htm
http://burzynskipatientgroup.org/tonyt.htm
Josh:
ReplyDeleteIt's Sylvia again. I am digging into all the information I read yesterday on the Brazilian book. I have discovered a lot of US companies commercializing the natural recipe to fight cancer: 2 large leaves of aloe arborescens, half pound of raw honey, and 2 tablespoon of cognac or uisque. If you will consider this alternative treatment, just let me know and maybe we can find the natural ingridients and make it at home.
lockmoura@gmail.com www.aloedeca.com http://www.healthbeyondhype.com/aloe-arborescens-16-oz-p-346.html
I am a Health Minister with Hallelujah Acres and if you will go to hacres.com and click on testimonies, you will see all the different testimonies of healing from the Hallelujah Diet. It's amazing. The last two e-mails I named them all but I will let you see for yourself even if it's last stage cancer.
ReplyDeleteMy phone #is 704-523-8981 and I would like to share some good things with you.
Call anytime, my heart and prayers are with you and your family for Ava.
I have been a Health Counselor for 20 some years.
God's way works!
The Lord bless you, Joan Van Dyk
I don't know if Ava's doctors have suggested this as a treatment, but this is an FDA approved treatment. The Gliadel Wafer is a treatment for brain tumors: wafers are implanted into the tumor site at the time of surgery that slowly release a chemotherapeutic drug. They are approved for use at the time of the initial AND subsequent surgeries for malignant glioma (which includes Glioblastoma multiforme and anaplastic astrocytoma). Because the chemotherapeutic drug works locally, it has the potential to reduce the systemic side effects typical of most chemotherapeutic drugs.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if it would be effective against GBM, but I've read about mega doses of vitamin C (administered intravenously) being effective against cancer.
ReplyDeleteVitamin D can also be effective against cancer. "18 Things You Need to Know About Vitamin D and Cancer"
Gerson Therapy is an alternative treatment that has been effective against cancer as well. http://www.gerson.org/
There's also the raw foods approach. http://www.west.net/~cure/hippocrates_health_institute.htm
Another related treatment is to maintain an alkaline environment in your body (largely through diet) since cancer thrives in an acidic environment. http://www.dinealkaline.com/
We are praying for you!!! We know that God has the power to heal Ava.
Hi My name is Dan Coleman - I live in Laurel Md . I am a Xango Ind Distributor and we market the original whole fruit mangosteen juice .. I can make no claims as to whether it will help your daughter . We say try it and see. The mangosteen has been used in Se Asia for centuries and has been scientifically studied for years . Go to pub med .com and type in mangosteen and xanthones .. My email is danjohn316@msn.com and my phone number is on my website . There are case studies done on mangosteen and cancer . I hope this helps .
ReplyDeleteHi here is the websites :
ReplyDeletewww.mymangosteen.com/rowdan
www.xango.com
Here's a different kind of treatment.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.hplusmagazine.com/articles/nano/targeting-cancer-cells-nanoparticles
Whether or not the following is a solution, may God guide you by His Spirit to the right treatment for Ava.
ReplyDeletePlease forward this to Dr. Joel Hunter! Ask him to e-mail (oncologist) Dr. Simoncini at t.simoncini@alice.it and to describe to him the exact diagnosis, prognosis, brain operation, and condition of his daughter. Dr. Simoncini will respond within three days, with an e-mail, with alternative treatment solutions, and his advice is free of charge, because he is a humanitarian who wants to help people.
I was impressed with the book: Cancer Is a Fungus. Dr. Tullio Simoncini, who lives in Rome, Italy - comes and speaks at doctors' conventions in the USA almost yearly…Dr. Simoncini treats people with advice over e-mail -he will respond to you within two, or three days, (from most people's experience).
His medical advice on anti-cancer (alternative) treatments is free of charge over the internet, (and very affordable, if you go to Rome, Italy for the cure). There is a blog for Dr. Simoncini's patients. Go here www.cancerfungus.com or www.curenaturalicancro.com.
Here is a link (http://www.davidmbailey.com/bio.html) to a story of a man with GBM who is a current 13 year survivor. He has been working with a doctor at Duke University - Dr. Henry Friedman. Here is some contact info. The Duke Brain Tumor Center, including the family support team, can be contacted during business hours at 919) 684-5301. Their policy is to return your call within 24 hours.
ReplyDeleteChild life specialist at Brenner Children's Hospital/Wake Forest is a friend of mine. Her counterpart in oncology is out of the office until Wed; however she did say that they send several patients to Columbia University in New York for treatment and trials. This is the home to the Bartoli Brain Tumor Laboratory and the Pediatric Brain Tumor Laboratory.
ReplyDelete"Dr. Anderson’s team is investigating how the immune system interacts with childhood brain tumors. Unfortunately, many young children cannot be treated with standard therapies (radiation or chemotherapy) because of significant adverse effects on the developing central nervous system. Accordingly, we believe that the discovery and use of an appropriate immunotherapeutic strategy for malignant pediatric brain tumors, in conjunction with current chemotherapies, could significantly improve the current treatment of this disease. Recent data have demonstrated that cells of the immune system (including T cells, B cells, and monocytes/macrophages) frequently infiltrate pediatric brain tumors, suggesting that immunity could impact tumor survival."
Learn more at: http://www.columbianeurosurgery.org/research/research-laboratories/pediatric-brain-tumor-laboratory/
and
http://www.columbianeurosurgery.org/specialties/brain-tumor-center/
Hi Josh,
ReplyDeleteThis is Liz Hartsell, I work with Rene at Summit on niceSERVE and service stuff and am not sure if you remember me at all.
I have a contact with ASCO(American Society of Clinical Oncology) and CommonWeal(Cancer Research and Treatment). I talked to her to get her professional opinion. She has a friend that recommends Mass General Hospital (in Boston. She is willing to put you in direct contact with her friend to get Ava an appointment there to see the amazing specialists there.
You can contact me at emhartsell @ gmail.com
I'll also be at Summit all day this Sunday working on niceSERVE.
Praying for the whole Hunter family,
Liz
Josh,
ReplyDeleteI found your blog through Mark Beeson's. It is heart wrenching to hear what your daughter and your whole family is going through. When I read the request on Mark's blog, I immediately thought of the McRae's. I have been praying with them as they walk through a similar situation. You should check out their story and see if you can connect with them. It may help.
Here's the blog links:
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/mcraekate
http://aaronmcrae.wordpress.com/
Praying...
Mike
Josh and Lisa:
ReplyDeleteI posted earlier about the POETIC 08-01. I got a further response from an MD at the facility in Atlanta:
We’d be happy to consult and provide whatever help we can, including discussions with the family about the innovative clinical trial we have open here for children with GBM. Family can contact Meghan below or call me directly at 404-727-1447 or call Rebecca McCune 404-785-6017 to help schedule an appointment and send us the appropriate records once the child is out of the ICU and stable for discharge home should the family want our help.
Best,
Tobey
----------
Tobey J. MacDonald, M.D.
Director, Pediatric Neuro-Oncology Program
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Children's Healthcare of Atlanta/Emory University
Aflac Cancer Center and Blood Disorders Service
Emory Children's Center
2015 Uppergate Drive NE, Suite 442
Atlanta, GA 30322
Phone: (404) 727-1447
Fax: (404) 727-4455
Email: tobey.macdonald@emory.edu
We have a precious 5 year old son, so your sweet Ava hits close to home. We will be on our knees for her!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteDavid Graham- I recall treating a child with GBM at Northwestern during my residency.Very sad to hear but do NOT give up hope.Pray,Pray,Pray.
ReplyDeleteConfirm the pathology with an expert such as Armed Forces Institute of Pathology(AFIP)
If it was my baby I would go to St.Judes and see Thomas Merchant DO,Ph.D....He is a radiation oncologist
My family and I have been praying for your Ava all week and I wanted to do a little searching to see what I could find. I apologize but I must bring this to your attention because I have noticed several familiar names of so-called doctors and "treatments" that I also came across as scams. I understand that everyone is doing absolutely everything possible to help research, but I also know there is a need to distinguish fact from fiction. I know that God will guide you and your wife to make these unbearable decisions, and as you make your informative decisions please note the website
ReplyDeletehttp://www.quackwatch.org/index.html
specifically the article titled A Special Message for Cancer Patients Seeking "Alternative" Treatments at http://www.quackwatch.org/00AboutQuackwatch/altseek.html
Some of the treatments and doctors listed in these comments, though sent with best intentions, could be very dangerous as the quack watch website includes FDA reports, court documents, etc debunking all their claims. Among the "quack" claims are Stanislaw Burzynski and Antineoplastons, Nicholas Gonzalez Treatment for Cancer, Rev. George M. Malkmus and his Hallelujah Diet, and Dr. T. Simoncini.
The Cancer Treatment Watch website at
http://www.cancertreatmentwatch.org/ is very informative and this statement says it all, "This site's main purpose is to debunk ineffective methods marketed as "cures." If you or a loved one is diagnosed with cancer, investigate carefully and don't let fear or desperation cloud your judgment."
Our family will continue to keep you in our prayers. Hold fast to Jeremiah 29:11
This contact information came from a friend of a relative who built a cancer clinic in Houston: Dr. Luis Campos, Head of Oncology Consultants in Houston and a Professor at the University of Texas Medical School. If he can't help, he should know someone that might. His e-mail is lcampos@oncologyconsultants.com and phone is 713-827-9525 or 713-800-3254.
ReplyDeleteI know you have a lot of information to go through already, but I didn't want to be remiss and not send in case it's of help.
Still praying for Ava's complete healing on this side of heaven and wisdom for your family.
Good morning!
ReplyDeletePlease visit and join http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Pediatricbraintumors/ ... This Yahoo group saved my sanity (and probably my life) on more than one occasion during my daughter's battle with her brain tumor. It's a group of parents and families affected by pediatric brain tumors, and it's been around for nearly 10 years and has members from all over the world, and in all stages of this journey.
I feel that one of the most important things is to get opinions from the nation's top PBT docs. Here's a list of members of the PBTC (Pediatric Brain Tumor Consortium), including contact information: http://pbtc.org/public/inst_contact_info.htm ... Even if you all cannot actually physically travel to see visit any of these doctors, they ALL will review medical records (scans, pathology, etc.) and will give their opinions; usually quite quickly.
I also have a number of resource links on my site (http://wallofcourage.com) that may be helpful.
Thinking of you all, and keeping you in my prayers.
~Heide
http://caringbridge.org/visit/jessicarandall
A friend told me Duke University has been successful in treating that exact tumour in children. I would look into it to correspond with alternative therapy. God Bless you all.
ReplyDeleteMy heart hurts for you because I cannot even fathom the struggle that you, gorgeous Ava and your family go through daily. I wish you all the luck and hope that one can offer and I will be praying for you all.
ReplyDeleteI am not very well versed in any medical treatments, but I will gladly let you know if I find anything at all that may have some type of effect.
If the best you can do is give that beautiful child the love and attention that I'm sure you give her, she will live with a full heart. There's a lot to be said for that.
Wishing you all the best
Josh and Lisa, Marshall and I are praying for you. I've emailed my dad to see if there is anyone he knows who can help you guys. I've appealed to Facebook and Twitter, asking for anyone who knows of alternative ways to treat GBT. Several ppl have replied to say they will commit to praying for Ava. One friend responded with this tweet:
ReplyDelete"Let your friends know that I'm here for support, having similar experiences. Give them my e-mail. thesharpestlives@yahoo.com"
Julie Mengel Garlington
I posted your request on my Facebook status and a friend suggested this: http://www.yourlifesource.com/hallelujah-diet.htm
ReplyDeleteWe are praying for you all...Ava is always on my mind!
It's me again. My good friend Marci responded with this on my Facebook page.
ReplyDelete"Marci Parsons
hyperbaric chambers are said to be very helpful. Cancers like a non-oxygen environment. Hyerbaric treatment bombards the body with heavy duty oxygen. There is a Dr. near Northridge Hospital with a HB chamber. I'm working on getting the name.... I'd recommend Dr. Vincent Medici - I can't find his phone # but you could get it through this link... See More - the guy who trained him has a radio program Sat. mornings 9 - 10 on KRLA. http://www.healthline.cc/qra.htm
OR, there is this one - Margie is currently working with them on her health - and has taken both her parents there.... http://www.whitakerwellness.com/
I forgot - my herb Dr. I would go with Dr. Matt - make an appt. and ask for notification of cancellation - they come up all the time - you have to be ready to go - and ready to wait when you get there - he takes his time and is very thorough. We've all been going here for over 17 years. LOVE these guys. http://mmvbs.com/aboutus.aspx "
Josh - Some research I have come across is that Aspartame (Nutrisweet), an artificial sweetener, can often be to blame for brain tumors. Some are more senstive than others and can get MS, lupus, brain tumors, etc from it. If your girl is consuming any aspartame in her diet (often found in diet drinks and soemtimes lemonaide mixes, etc...) Get her off of that immediately. MSG can also be a problem for some. On Asparteme see for example http://www.rense.com/general2/braint.htm
ReplyDeleteStrangely enough I watched a video on this just a few hours ago before stumbling on your blog via a friend on facebook. I think you can also find videos on youtube on Aspartame; the one I saw mentioned "Mission Possible" mentioned in the article.
A fellow Christian (serving in YWAM India),
Dave
Hi my name is Lynn and I live in South Bend, IN.
ReplyDeleteI feel the need to tell you to contact Dr. Rafat Arnseri
at Memorial Hospital in South Bend. He works well with
Dr. David Hornback. They have treated me for cancer
and I know Dr. Anseri could guide you with answers. I will
pray for you. Lynn
http://www.nwbio.com/
ReplyDeletePhase II clinical trial
he Company’s platform technology, DCVax®, uses a patient’s own dendritic cells, the starter engine of the immune system. The dendritic cells are extracted from the body, loaded with tumor biomarkers or ‘‘antigens’’, thereby creating a personalized therapeutic vaccine. Injection of these cells back into the patient initiates a potent immune response against cancer cells, resulting in delayed time to progression and prolonged survival. The Company’s lead product candidate is DCVax®-Brain which targets Glioblastoma Multiforme (‘‘GBM’’), the most lethal form of brain cancer. DCVax®-Brain has entered a Phase II FDA-allowed clinical trial, which is designed and powered as a pivotal trial (i.e. a trial from which a company may go directly to product approval). Following this trial, the Company anticipates filing a biologic license application (or ‘‘BLA’’) with the FDA for DCVax®-Brain. DCVax®-Prostate, which targets hormone independent (i.e. late stage) prostate cancer, has also been cleared by the FDA to commence a Phase III clinical trial, which is also designed and powered as a pivotal trial.
Josh,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Ashley Jennings and I attend Summit Church and your family has been in my prayers all week. I asked around and received two different but possibly helpful resources of information for you.
(1) my brother, Aaron Jennings, is in medical sales and knows lots of neurosurgeons from his work. He said that Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville and Wolfsons Childrens in Jax are the best establishments that he could reccomend. There is a neurosurgeon at the Mayo Clinic named Dr. Eric Nottmeier (nottmeier.eric@mayo.edu). He is a good friend of Aaron's and may be able to point you in the right direction. Tell him that Aaron Jennings referred you.
(2) my friend Patrick in Thailand teaches yoga and fasting retreats and has studied with alternative medicine doctors outside of the US. He said that he has witnessed many cases of “irreversible” forms of cancer being treated through natural methods, such as fasting with the Bruess cancer cure and the power of prayer. He said that he has not had experience with GBM but he did some research and came across this site that he felt inspired to send to you http://www.healingcancernaturally.com/brain-cancer-cure-testimonials.html
I'm praying for you and i hope this information helps.
Ashley
A friend of ours suggested trying acupuncture. We're not sure how it would work, but thought we'd pass on the tip to you anyhow in case you might want to look into it. We're praying everyday for Ava and your family! God Bless!
ReplyDeleteJosh,
ReplyDeleteRachel works for a family and the father is a surgeon at the Surgical Group of Orlando. He said that there would be 3 places he would suggest: 1) Arnold Palmer - Dr. Greg Olavarria 2) Boston Children's Hospital 3) Memorial Hospital in New York. Boston gets a lot of children and if there was a new treatment that might be working they would know about it first. Rachel and I are praying for you! If you need anything please don't hesitate to ask.
-Sterling Platts
This is a recommendation from a doctor at Piedmont & Northside Hospital in Atlanta, GA.
ReplyDeleteThey need to go see Dr. Stanislaw Burzynski. Antineoplastons developed by Houston cancer specialist Stanislaw Burzynski.
See www.cancermed.com
Please do check out http://www.healingcancer naturally.com/brain-cancer-cure-testimonials.html
ReplyDeleteI see it listed here a couple times.It is very impressive. Gregg Ernst
Lunenburg,Nova Scotia
As we dropped Maddie off at Camp Adventure this morning, we talked about you Josh, and all the fun we had at camp together. We talked to our girls about Ava. Belle, our youngest daughter, is 6 as well, and has been praying for her.
ReplyDeleteMy friend sent me this article about a child who is healing from a rare form of cancer. Thought it could give you guys some hope. Praying for you daily.
http://www.orangeville.com/news/local/article/843272--alton-boy-healing-after-numerous-cancer-treatments
Check out this link and go to bullet point number 4. http://apjohncancerinstitute.org/cancer/brain/.htm
ReplyDeleteGod Bless You
Dear family, you are in my thoughts. I lost my 44 year sister in November to a glioblastoma multiforme IV tumor after six years. We were blessed God let us beat it that long. While the cancer eventually took her life, she blessed everyone by sharing God's goodness and thanksfulness everywhere she went. We credit her doctor, Dr. Karel Dicke, in Arlington, TX with heroic measures in providing her a "quality" of life throughout these last six years. May you and your family know how much God loves you and Ava.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.holisticoptionsinc.com/
ReplyDeleteMy former MIL (Mojka Renaud) is a truly phenomenal practitioner of alternative medicine and is located in Lake Mary. I don't know if she has treated your daughter's kind of cancer specifically, but I know she has had amazing success with "untreatable" conditions. It is worth a phone call to see if she feels she could help.
Have been praying and will continue to do so!
-Jenny (Garber) Rios
Josh,
ReplyDeleteI do not know if your family has heard of St. Jude's hospital in Memphis, Tennessee, but that would be a good place to take Ava. It was started by Danny Thomas and the services are free. He started the research to help children with cancer and other diseases. And he wanted it to be free so families would not have to worry about the cost while they were going through such a rough time. They also have a research hospital there. It would be worth checking out.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and yours,
Jan Marie hank
i recently watched a documentary about changing to an all organic, raw - with no meats, dairy, eggs - diet! and how it has cured many sicknesses.
ReplyDeletealso, look into Dr. Sebi in south america - he has been supplying natural remedies to many ailments, including blindness and AIDS and there's likely to be a natural remedy somewhere in his field of products!
much love to you!!!
A friend of ours who has cancer has found this site to be helpful.
ReplyDeleteoutsmartyourcancer.com
Praying for you all.
Josh, my name is Kem and I'm part of your Uncle Mark's church in Granger.
ReplyDeleteI've been following your journey, praying, sitting here helpless and wordless... but united with you guys via the bond of Christ, shared relationships and the emotions of a fellow parent. I should have posted this earlier but I thought surely someone else would have recommended it by now... I'm not sure they have.
Consider checking out http://www.patientslikeme.com/. It's a privately funded company founded in 2004 by three MIT engineers. They were motivated by personal stories to make a difference in the lives of patients diagnosed with life-changing diseases and have created a one-of-kind community of patients, doctors, and organizations with direct access to the tools and information they need to take control of their disease.
I first heard about it here. http://www.ted.com/talks/jamie_heywood_the_big_idea_my_brother_inspired.html
It's a very jarring and impressive story that launched a game-changer. Short story? Jamie Heywood's brother was diagnosed with ALS. He and his brother devoted themselves to fighting the disease and built this ingenious website where people share and track data on their illnesses where they discovered the collective data had enormous power to comfort, explain and predict.
Here's a little write-up & update about the movement and value of openness. Hope this is helpful to you and your family.
http://blog.patientslikeme.com/2010/02/18/whos-2-in-healthcare-innovation-you-guessed-it-patientslikeme/
Josh, I will be praying for your family. Please say the healing scriptures I sent you everyday and trust in the Lord and He will guide you to make the right decision for Ava. God healed me of a brain tumor, when no doctor could help. God loves eveyone and miracles happen everyday.
ReplyDeleteJosh
ReplyDeleteThere is hope for your little girl...and there is a cure for cancer, but not in conventional medicine's approach....cutting, burning and poisoning (aka surgery, radiation & chemotherapy) are contrary to the way God designed the human body to heal itself. I have lots of information about known cures for cancer, but the information is too voluminous for this comment box. You can contact me at my email address (jodyaustin@hotmail.com)if you would like to pursue this.
Jody Austin