Thursday, July 29, 2010

SBK...The Next Generation of LASIK

I had it done today. Joel Hunter, MD presided over the surgery. He was masterful. The team of technicians were flawless and I am now 3 hours from surgery and 20/20. I will let you know tomorrow where my vision ends up, but it will be better than that. I can already tell. It was an amazing procedure. I realize that I am fairly involved in running a refractive surgery clinic, but when it is your own eyeball... you still get a wee bit nervous...

I took no valium or anything like that so I could go through it at its worst. It was cake. The whole thing took 10 minutes and now I can see like I did when I was 10. It's amazing. There was absolutely no pain and no blade involved. There were some weird feelings for sure, but nothing that hurt at all. Doctor Hunter talked me through every single bit of the procedure so that I always knew what was happening and what I was going to feel and see. He is really, really, really good. I can't wait for all of my friends to get this done. It will no doubt change the way you live if you have to deal with glasses or contacts right now. Unreal.

The procedure that Joel, MD does is called SBK. It creates a thinner corneal flap and causes less trauma to the eye during surgery than even regular or Hi-Def bladeless LASIK. Therefore there is faster healing time and less risk of any damage. It's the best procedure available right now. To my knowledge, no one else in Florida is doing this procedure. Hunter Vision is on the front end of the progress.

It was a great day for Hunter Vision and a great day for my vision.

When I got home today I got to talk to Ava about my surgery. She's pretty fired up that someone else in the family had to have surgery too. She is making progress every day. Pray for us tomorrow if you will. We have a meeting with the oncology docs at 3:50. We are praying that meeting finds us able to come together on a treatment plan for Ava. There are many details to work through. Thank you all for continuing to pray. Our family is so grateful and full of hope because we know God is hearing the army of faithful pray-ers for Ava.

I'll check back in when I'm 20/15 or better :) Oh, and check out the new website.

www.huntervision.com

6 comments:

  1. Josh, Wow,,, you made it sound so easy. I'm hoping that I will be a candidate for surgery. I will make my appointment when I get back from vacation next week.
    We will definitely pray for you and Lisa as you talk with the Dr.'s tomorrow and come up with a plan. Thank you so much for opening your lives with all of us. It's really interesting to see how God is working in this whole situation. We love you guys!! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sure praying for tmrw! For a clear path. For some encouragement! For Him to be with you. Thankful for the blessing of wonderful birthdays, and for your new sight! Glad He is blessing you and giving you strength in those blessings.
    Carey

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless you and your family. Praying for Ava. I know Hunter Vision will be a HUGE success. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting that you got to be one of your brothers first patients at Hunter Vision! That is just plain awesome!

    Lots of prayers are going up for today's visit. I pray for peace for you and Lisa as you make decisions on Ava's behalf - she is a lucky little girl to have two people going to bat for her and our loving God with His arms wrapped around her.

    Always praying...always believing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will be praying all day for your meeting this afternoon. Maybe now you can see good enough to realize those deer are so cute! (ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Josh,

    I am praying for Ava and for Hunter Vision!

    I know your parents and Isaac and feel as if I know you and your family as well.

    I live in Atlanta and work at In Touch Ministries. My friends here are praying for Ava.

    God can do a miracle and that is exactly how we are praying!!

    xoxo,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete