Friday, July 30, 2010

Doctors Visit and almost 20/10

Today was a bit up and down. The stress of the upcoming Doctors visit and Hunter Vision doing 6 surgeries today had me all over the map. I was dreading talking to the oncologist and excited about seeing our vision for a refractive surgery practice come to reality. I read 3 letters out of 5 on the 20/10 line this morning. That was awesome.

The doc visit was about all that we could have asked for. They pledged to support us no matter what direction we take. However, they re-confirmed that the prognosis was grim. I hated it and I was grateful all at once. We left there feeling freed up to do what we believe is best for Ava and at the same time it is clear they give us no hope. It was no new information, but it was still no fun. I was grateful for the care they showed, but it was gut wrenching talking about all of it in such somber terms again. I just want Ava well. That is all.

We are drawing great support from our friend Renee whose daughter has gone through the same battle. She lives in New Jersey and has been a wonderful source of encouragement for Lisa and me. We are so grateful that God put her in our lives. Her little girl Katlin is 3 years out from diagnosis of a GBM after being given 36 weeks to live. Currently there is no sign of a tumor anywhere in her body. Praise God. It gives us hope and life to know that this monster can be tackled. We also are fully aware everyday that God is going to have to heal her. The docs know modern medicine, but I don't think this particular Oncologist is familiar with the God we serve. We are still praying for and counting on a miracle.

It's been a pretty good week. Ava still has the occasional mild headache, but is mostly in great spirits. She is playing and goofing around just like always. She is mostly still working on healing from the surgery and will be for a couple more weeks. What a little warrior she is. She provides great inspiration for me when I am tired. She fights on, so we must too.

As I sit here in my office at 9pm on a Friday night just trying to finish up some stuff for the grand opening on Monday, I realize how blessed I am in the midst of trial. If someone would have said, "you can get everything you need to open the doors of Hunter Vision in the midst of the worst economy since the great depression" 5 years ago...I would have taken it in a heartbeat. For that, I am grateful.

The continued prayers for our family are as follows:

1. Pray for divine and miraculous healing for Ava. That the cancer would be wiped away and that she would be afforded the opportunity to live a long and healthy life here on earth.
2. Pray that Lisa and I would continue to be filled with hope and not get discouraged as we battle in the long, long road ahead.
3. Pray that Noah would feel how loved he is by our family and that he would not in any way feel slighted by all of the attention his sister gets...and pray that we would specifically give him what he needs to get through this with us.
4. Pray for Hunter Vision. These next two months are critical. A steady flow of patients and a bunch of vision correction procedures will go a long way in helping Ava get the care she needs.

As always, I am grateful for all of you who follow this part of our lives and pray daily for our little girl. She needs all of it and so do we.

Not to end too somber...did I mention I am 20/10?

21 comments:

  1. You are a good husband, dad, son, and brother... I'm still praying, so everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Josh, I read the blog daily and post almost as often. I stand with your whole family for Ava's complete healing. As you said, the doctors are good, yet they don't know the God that we serve, much less His healing power, but WE DO!!

    When people see my beautiful purple Ava bracelet, I ask them to pray for her restoration and strength for yor family as you travel this journey. In the precious name of Jesus, I pray for not only Ava's return to health but also courage for your whole family as you persevere in this trial. Love to you, Lisa, Noah and Avabelle!

    Lucky me, all I need is 20/20 sight and Hunter Vision can help me get there. I'll call soon for an appointment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh, Lisa, Noah, and Ava,

    The Helmling family is praying daily. We love you all and are so proud to be your friends. "Hold fast, help is on the way, hold fast, He's come to save the day." That's a line from one of my favorite songs. I will be praying that for you as well. You are an inspiration. So glad that your vision is back! Hunter Vision rocks! Hopefully I'll be there soon. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zephaniah 3:17 "The Lord your God is with you

    He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing

    We are praying,
    Ingle and Suzy
    Crabtree

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praise God that He is in control and that He has the final authority over AVA, not the Dr's. Even with all their years of education, practice and expertise. It is nothing compared to God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We continue to pray daily for Ava and your family. Tonight, my 7 year old told some of her friends why we wear a matching purle bracelet. We pray for her full healing and a long and healthy life and also for strength for Noah and your and your wife. We have had miracles happen in our own family...I am prayign for the same for yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything you're doing is right. I'm proud of you. I'm praying ... a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never ever give up hope. I just talked yesterday with a friend who had widespread "terminal" cancer. 5 years ago, his wife was told he would not make it home from the hospital. Yesterday, he was walking around, enjoying family time, Praise God!

    As our family has prayed for Ava, the same thought that would pop into my heart as I prayed for him, has come back to me. Read Ephesians 3: 14-21. God Can do MORE MORE MORE than you can imagine. It says Immeasurably more. Don't listen to those doctors. God can do more. So many people are pressed upon in their hearts to pray for Ava that don't even know her (myself included). We all are praying for Noah and your strength as face this battle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Josh, so happy for your 20/10 eye sight! I need to make an appointment! However I read your blog daily, pray for you and your family daily and have Ava's purple braclet, but Noah has the most AWSOME Godly parents! I know and belive in my heart you and Lisa will see he is healthy, happy and whole in spite of your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am praying for all of you, Josh. Love y'all so very much. Allie

    ReplyDelete
  11. God is so good to have brought Renee into your life...to share what has worked for her daughter and so many prayer warriors storming the gates of heaven.
    Thank you for giving us specifics to pray for that always helps. We continue to pray for complete healing.
    Our family has been praying for 2 other little girls with brain cancer...one lives here and the other in Texas...both facing grim outcomes and both within this last week have been declared cancer free. So, God indeed is listening to the prayers being offered up.
    Hugs to Ava...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Josh, Lisa,and family: These thoughts, and words came as I read your blog. Your courage, faith & convictions is from the Lord. " Do not fear or be discouraged.' "The battle is mine saith the Lord" You were "ushered into battle for the glory of the Lord" a word given by and to a friend, some years ago, this thought has stayed with me, and I have shared it as the Lord leads. " God is with you", in each step, and decision, "strengthening your hearts" Praise His Holy name, as He encourages you, as in Renee and Katlyn's testimony God is able to cast out GBM, and any trace of cancer in Ava;s body, expect that miracle. Agreeing with you in prayer for the needs, wisdom , and love you are asking for, as you travel this road together with family friends and all you will meet and bless along the way. You are precious to God, and to our world. I must make a appointment for my yearly eye exam. Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just found your blog again after about a week so I took some time to read everything. We never stop praying for the 4 of you and the whole family and Hunter Vision! You have been made a big part of our day. I agree with all that the other prayer folks said and I want to add that God does miracles every day and I'm believing for one for Ava. Very glad you are 20/10!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Josh, we continue to pray for Ava and your family, and look forward to your posts. Thank you for giving us specifics for prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have to lean on God alone. He is the only one with the answers.
    As doctors all they can give you is the info they have.
    We of course worship a God who holds our future and as you lean on Him He will be your Rock.Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Josh! Praying for your family everyday! Could you post the contact information for Ava's account? It was on the Northland website, but now I can't find it again. We know all too well the out-of-pocket expense of alternative medicine and would like to pour into Ava's miracle. I'm sure others would too. Thanks! Fear not....God has a miracle for Ava...I believe it! Doctors are mere men....God is GOD!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hunter Family, No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love Him....God doesn't have to work within the parameters of our lives. He works in ways that that we wouldn't expect or imagine. No matter what is going on, if God is for us, who can be against us and NOTHING can separate us from His Love. A difficult concept to grasp on a difficult day. But, because of His great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for Him". The Lord is good to those whose hope is in Him, to the one who seeks Him. Cindy Lehn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Hunter Family,
    We are continuing to pray for you daily. My daughters (ages 7 & 5) have put their purple bracelets on their bedposts because they were too big for their wrists. Its a constant reminder for them each night to pray for Ava and thank God for their healthy bodies.

    We will remember you tomorrow as well and pray that Hunter Vision will give you a good day and continued encouragement.

    Keep up the fight we are standing with you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Praying with you for Ava's complete healing and for you, Lisa, Noah and Ava to sense the comfort and love of God. Jesus will be your strength. You are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad we can be here for you to offer encouragement. Too bad we had to meet under such unfortunate circumstances, but God has plans for her. I don't believe Ava will be going anywhere anytime soon! Your story is too similar to mine with all of the preparation God gave Lisa. I had the same preparation. 2 full years of preparation before Katlin got sick. My life path has been very strange over the last 5 years or so. But as I look back, it all makes complete sense. Just keep your minds open, just as they are and I think Ava will be just fine. Still praying for her accelerated progress!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Prayers WILL be answered!
    Ava will be fine in God's time. Keep the faith, grow stronger HOPE, and may all the doctors' come to know the God Your family and my family know and faithfully serve.
    In Christ's name.......AMEN!

    ReplyDelete