Thursday, July 22, 2010

Steps

I got home from work a little early today so that Lisa could go to Zumba. She loves the Latin dancin'. Me, not so much. So, I am happy to Ava-sit. When I got in I noticed that Ava was fairly energetic and was in the middle of playing some game on the wii. She kept standing and not leaning on anything. I thought...hmmm...I wonder if she has regained enough balance to take a step or two...

Well, five steps later and into my arms I found out the answer. She is walking. Not great, but she is for sure walking on her own. I would not let her walk without me right there to catch her, but dangit, she is walking. What a cool gift from God today. Every little victory is one to be celebrated. We celebrate everything at our house these days. It's possible that Kwanza will be in the mix at the rate we are going.

I know that Ava is just making some physical strides from the surgery, but it is really fun to see. Our next battle is the big one. It's time to tackle the cancer. We are going to do everything we can to make sure our kiddo has the best chance. She likely couldn't have a bigger prayer base, so we will do our part. God didn't give us the ability to fight on just to sit there and watch Him do His thing, so we are going to give everything we have to participate in the journey with Him.

I am reminded all the time that He has Ava in His hands. Today He held hers and allowed her to walk across our living room. I am celebrating the 5 steps today like they were the first 5 she took when she was 1. It was a great afternoon.

Tomorrow we celebrate Lisa. She is another year wiser. There is no greater blessing in my life than the wife God gave me. It will be a great year as we walk together celebrating every little step.

Baby steps aren't usually for those taking them. They don't take the walker very far. They are for those who watch to celebrate.

14 comments:

  1. So Awesome and beautifully said! Praise the Lord for Baby Steps and the gift of celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praises, praises, praises to God!! Tears of joy to celebrate such a blessing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to your beloved Lisa!!! Happy 5 steps for Ava and you!! I know you are making decisions and alot is going on. I will not stop praying and asking others for prayer for all of you!! God is blessing you and sometimes in small steps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are the best Dad ever. What a gift you are to Ava! What a gift you are to Noah! To Lisa! To all of us! I'll continue to watch and cheer the steps YOU take as you move into the future with God. I'll be watching to celebrate your steps and Ava's too!
    We're praying....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Incredibly well written - beautiful words, beautifully constructed to mark a beautiful child in a beautiful moment.
    Thanks Josh - from Tom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing perspective. I loved it. Thank you. Praying for you every day....through out the whole day. And loving that I can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go, Ava! Five steps today and praying for more tomorrow.

    Happy Birthday, Lisa!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Lisa! Helps us to pray Josh to hear your words. There was a Summit sermon a couple weeks ago about how God not only Can do all things but that he Cares enough to answer even our simpliest requests, you give us some pretty specific cares to address on your behalf. Love praying beside your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Lisa!!!!!! And Bravo AVA!!! Keep up the good work! What a Blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hurray for the baby steps!!! We celebrate with you! What a great reminder that we should all celebrate in each others' accomplishments, both big and small. Happy Birthday to your dear wife, and I love that she makes time to do Zumba...keep saying I will, she is inspiring me. Actually, you all inspire me. We all have our issues, our disappointments, and often I am quick to complain and wonder why this is not working out for me, why this and that, complain and worry, but when I read your blogs and how you all stay so strong and believing....I aspire to be like that. I guess I am taking baby steps right along with Ava. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The prayers are being answered.. The lord is blessing Ava & the Hunter family. Thank you dear lord for the baby steps! It gives them the hope that they need to move on... I pray for Ava & the Hunter family that this too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome job, Ava!!! We celebrate along with you :)

    Happy Birthday to Lisa!! It is wonderful to hear that she's taking care of herself with Zumba and doing something for her physical well being - so important when you're a caregiver!

    Always praying...always believing...

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! God is Good! How incredibly amazing that she is walking. He is certainly not finished with her yet. Happy Bday to Lisa <3 I hope she really enjoys it! Keep doing what you are doing Josh and Lisa! You are doing awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so awesome! Yeah Ava..what a little God's girl you are! Hang in there kid with God, your Dad, your Mom, your brother and your family, they've all got you covered. You are in my prayers little one :)

    ReplyDelete