Ava had another good day. Her body is still weak from the surgery, but her mind is for sure regaining momentum. The drain tube was removed from her head and she pooped today (not at the same time). Ha. Both milestones that make a father proud.
A little light humor makes everything a bit more tolerable these days. On another positive note, we found a story of someone who went through this exact same scenario two years ago with her daughter (who is now 8 and cancer free after being told she wouldn't make it a year). It was a great encouragement and she has kept copious notes of the path they followed. That is pretty awesome. We are going to contact her.
The Onc Doc came in today and said "It may be a few days before we have confirmation of the diagnosis." I said, "No problem, we aren't anxious or worried. It is what it is and we are gonna do what we have to do." He looked perplexed that I wasn't more concerned and then he left the room. What he doesn't know is that I trust God for Ava's health, not whatever plan he and his cohorts put together. God is the healer...the docs just help the body do what God created it to do. I think he forgot that today. All the best docs in the world can't heal a body that isn't supposed to be. They are mere men with an opinion. Granted, they went to school for a million years to form that opinion, but at the end of the day...it's all a best guess.
That's why leaning on God makes most sense. I don't mean sitting idle. I mean trusting Him to lead us on the right path for Ava. I care little who tells me I'm nuts if I am following what God has told me. I don't ever hear an audible voice, but I expect Him to open the doors that need to be open and close the ones that should be closed. My promise is to walk through the open ones with Lisa as we pursue healing for Ava.
Keep praying. Lots of days of work ahead. We are blessed to have had a great one with Ava today.
Praise the Lord for you today, Josh, Lisa, Ava and Noah! I don't know why things like this happen, and I feel like I've been on this emotional roller coaster with you all and I don't even know you. You have been such a blessing to me with your posts and the way you think. I know God will continue to Bless you each and every day. Some day when we stand face to face with him, we will understand why things such as what you are going through happen. You are in our prayers!
ReplyDeleteSharing in your joy today for the encouraging news. Hearing your dad's heart at church this morning was so hard and yet so beautiful. His deep love for you all is clearly evident. Please know that your faith family will continue to lift you all up to our Father.
ReplyDelete"The prayers of the righteous are powerful and effective." James 5:16
With love,
Kristen & Greg Mikesell
Glad Ava had a good day! Praying!
ReplyDeleteYou got it right Josh- own it- our God's got you covered!
ReplyDeleteGod says do not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will take care of itself. You go Josh!
ReplyDeleteGood word and glad to hear you found this story. With you in prayer...
ReplyDelete. . . don't think I've ever been so happy to hear about a poop. I was reading this passage today and thought of all of you. Then, I read your post and felt moved to share it. (Not that I am trying to imply that the docs are foolish - just limited by human means like all of us).
ReplyDelete1 Cor. 1:23 "For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength."
And . . .
2 Co. 2:14 "But thanks be to God who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of Him."
Oh Josh and Lisa.....I'm so happy to hear that she had a good day.....and even happier to hear that you so completely trust the Lord through such an incredibly difficult journey.
ReplyDeleteAs you know all too well....there is no peace like the peace that only God can give us. Learning to let go and let God is such a hard thing to do....but those who really trust and follow through...find real peace! I could just hug you guys! It seems that we find our most intimate times with the Lord during our most challenging struggles. Those struggles are never something we would willingly sign up for....but times that God blesses us the most and proves His faithfulness.
So awesome that another family has found and paved a way for you to follow too. Praise God!
You both are an AMAZING witness for others! God uses us in our weakest moments to do His greatest work. That's when we seem to be the most effective....and He already knew that, didn't He! Your story and journey is just the beginning of a great piece of God's plan!
Thank you for all of your posts....you really minister to our hearts! You are a true example of what it really looks like to walk in faith. There is nothing greater in the world!
We are praying constantly! You are never far from our hearts!
Love,
The Kiblers
your right, Josh. Our God is way more powerful than doctors. ect... ect.. God will heal sweet Ava!!!! Before you know it, sweet Ava will be cancer free. ;) Im praying hard that you and your family will recieve that great news asap. :)
ReplyDeleteOh Josh, Lisa, Ava, Noah and your entire family;
ReplyDeleteThis is Sue Hilinski...my family is praying for you all! I researched online, and saw that much of what I found was already shared with you. But I do want to let you know about my daughter-in-law, Rachel(who married my son Scott)...she is in the field of nutrition and holistic medicine. She wanted me to share a few doctors with you that she has great respect for (in the alternative medicine field):
Dr. Richard Schulze (in California-website www.herbdoc.com )who healed Rachel of an autoimmune bladder disorder. He has an "incurribles" program that heals diseases such as cancer. (info on his website) Rachel and my son, Scott, would purchase this program and walk you thru it for Ava (it's a 30-day process, and well worth it.)
Rachel has also learned much about "Integrated Medicine"from Dr. Andrew Weil who is well known thoughout the world. His website has great info on healing the body. (www.drweil.com) On his site, you can find local doctors trained under him.
Dr. Mark Hyman practices Functional Medicine in Lenox, Mass. (www.drhyman.com) Rachel has had him as a speaker in her schooling in NY.
I have great faith in my daughter-in-law's passion for nutrition and health. She has offered to help you in any way...she and Scottie live in Maitland, and she is a source of information in this area of alternative ways to heal our bodies. Their # is 407-952-0331. They are here for you! We are too!
As i read thru all this research, I am at peace knowing that our LORD will lead you and Lisa to the next step...giving you discerment at such an important time as this! Words fail me, yet we are praying fervantly!! God is so obviously there with you, as I read your blogs...and my heart is hurting with you. This is all so very real for me as I step back in time with Pam and Mandy and Rick. I witnessed the mighty hand of our loving Father daily as I walked with them, and I already see His unfailing love and faithfulness in your sweet Ava. The last CD that Pam burned for me had a song titled "Our Hope Endures" by Natalie Grant. Here are a few lines:
"Emmanuel, God is with us.....El Shaddai, All Sufficient. We never walk alone.... and this is our HOPE....our hope endures...in the worst of conditions...it's more than our optimism... Let the earth quake! Our HOPE is UNCHANGED!" OUR HOPE ENDURES!!!! His love is real. We are His!
We love you so much and are here for you.
The entire Hilinski family-Sue & Tom, Cori, (&family), Scott&Rachel.
Josh,
ReplyDeleteConnected with you thru Matt Hinkley - a friend up here in NH. Thank you for sharing your journey with us all here on the blog. Please know that many are praying for your family and especially for Ava. I can't even imagine how trying this whole ordeal must be but I am encouraged by you as I read of your faith. As a father of three I pray that I would respond half as well as you are if anything ever happened with them.
Bless you guys. Praying for healing. For His glory alone!
Dear Josh:
ReplyDeleteDay after day more and more people join us in prayers for Ava and all of Hunters. It reminds me 1 Chronicles 12:22 - "Day after day men came to help David, until he had a great army, like the army of God"
I am confident that you will have all that you need to fight this battle.
What a wonderful assurance that God knows all of our needs and counts on us to fill the needs of others around us.
..."While we may not use any of it, it may be that one of you has a connection to our next best step."
"she has kept copious notes of the path they followed"
If I could sing, I would be singing out loud right now. Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation. O my soul, praise him, for he is thy health and salvation!...
Love to you all. Sylvia
Wisdom is plentiful. Be still and listen.
ReplyDeletePraying for your little one. I went to high school with Rhonda & Kelly and saw her status update on Facebook. Lifting up little Ava to our Healing Father!
ReplyDeleteI went through a similar scenario with a friend last year. Wish I had stood firmly on the rock of Jesus then, like you are now. But when God ultimately healed my friend and took him to be with him, I understood very well, and God showed me what I had refused to accept, while my friend battled for his life; that man's best laid plans are just that, PLANS. God controls all these things and it's good. On the other end of it I saw the perfect wisdom and will of God's plan for my friend (long story ... won't get into it here). Please know that I love all of your family very much and continue in prayer for Ava's healing and for blessings upon you all. The way you are standing on the rock of Jesus through all this is inspiring and a blessing to all who witness it.
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear she had a good day! And praying for more good days to come!
ReplyDeleteJosh & Lisa,
ReplyDeleteGary & I are sad for the tough times you are going through, just as we would be for our own children. You are very special to us. I see how your faith is touching lives. I love that you will be in touch with a family that has gone down this road. They will be a wonderful encouragement to you and Lisa. Our prayers are for Ava's total healing are going up every day.
Kathie & Gary Gamble
Hey Josh, My friend sent this email to me today. I am passing it to you to pursue if you'd like. Below is the email. If you'd like to get in touch with her, her name is Susan and her email address is: scscarrot@hotmail.com
ReplyDeleteDanielle Tubbs
Do you think you could get me the name of the doctor that your friends are using for the little girl? One of my close friends in TX is a Physician's Assistant for a world famous brain surgeon/neurologist. People from all over the world travel to his clinic for surgery, mainly deep brain stimulation for Parkinson's (because that is his latest discovery), but that's besides the point. His name is Dr. Plotkin, and he went to Harvard for his MD and then taught there. He then went on to get his PhD at MIT. Anyway, my friend is going to ask him tomorrow if he knows anything about GBM and if he knows of any new or alternative treatments for it. She asked me if I could find out the name of Ava's surgeon or main doctor who has diagnosed her. If he thinks he can help or knows anything about this cancer, she said that he will probably want to see any CD's of films, MRI's, etc ASAP. Do you think they'd be interested in sharing this with him if there is any hope in him helping, if nothing else but for another opinion, considering what an amazing doctor he is? I know this is random, but I felt like I should at least ask since I know if this doctor and have connections to him. If he wasn't such a "big deal", I wouldn't bother. But I know that if I were in that family's position, I'd want any connection I could get.
Josh and Lisa,
ReplyDeleteHi, a friend of mine from high school and a friend on FB asked me to drop you a line. My daughter Aimee, sadly lost her battle with a DIPG brain tumor on 12/12/08 at the age of 12.
So, please know I am here for you if you need anything. My phone is broke right now so the best way to reach me is via e-mail alm_42@yahoo.com. This way I can give you several links for alternative treatments. I am located in PA, but know several families in FL that have also walked this path maybe I can get them to also reach out to you. I can also get you a list of pedatric foundations that help with finances. Please, know that Ava and all will be deep in my prayers. Keep your faith. Take care and God Bless.
Annette (angel aimees mom)
www.caringbrdige.org/visit/aimeedickey