Thursday, July 8, 2010

Keepin' on.

Tomorrow we meet with the Oncology docs. Who knows what they will say. In theory, we will get the confirmed diagnosis and their recommendation for what we should do from here. I don't know what that looks like at all, but I know I don't like talking to them. They can't say anything good. It's against everything they have ever been taught. If they say something good and then something bad happens, they get pounded on (or worse, sued). If they say something bad and then something good happens, then they are happy to be wrong and everyone wins. Therefore, all they can do is try to make us sad for 30 minutes while they try to talk to us tomorrow.

I will do my best to try to remember that God knows what the future holds and these guys are just trying to do their best and not screw up their livelihood by giving us any hope that may not come true. Pray for Lisa and I. Pray that we will have the wisdom necessary to navigate these waters that are completely foreign to us.

Ava is doing great. She has more movement in her arm today and is in a great mood. She is laughing and joking and generally feeling really good from the surgery. She is just happy to be home. A few of you have asked what she knows about her condition. Here is what we have told her. "The doctors found a boo-boo in your head that was giving you all of those headaches. They had to go in and get it out so you could feel better. We are going to have to change some things and see more doctors in the next few months to do our best to make sure that your boo-boo stays away." She seems ok with that.

Lisa and I are at peace right now with the direction we feel God has made clear to us. We just need to get her going on her long term treatment plan (we have already started the stuff we can do at home) in the next few weeks so that we can fight this stupid thing. We are hopeful as we look to the future, but are taking each day as it comes. It's hard to keep focused on daily tasks right now because the thought of what we are up against is never far from the front of our minds.

We covet your prayers. We are grateful for your help and support. Thanks for being our family.

27 comments:

  1. I will be praying, Josh, as I have been and know so many others are. I am at a loss for words beyond those. I think it's amazing that you are able to find them and express your thoughts so clearly. Thanks for sharing. We love you and your family!

    Mandy (and the Turnbulls)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will continue to pray for your whole family. I pray that you will all feel GOD'S arms around you tomorrow while you are speaking with the doctors. I pray for strength and wisdom as you make your decisions for Ava. You seem to have an amazing family and an incredible support system. Stay strong...FAITH, HOPE & COURAGE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh, I have the picture of Ava and your Mom and Dad on my desktop so everytime I come to the computer (which is often!) I pray for you all. Keep your eyes on the Lord and know that He has you in His arms. He loves you all very much....and you are in the prayers of many around the world. :)+

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our faithful God will be close at hand when you meet with the doctors tomorrow. Praying for Ava and you and your specific concerns everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet Ava is often on my mind. She is so lucky to have such amazing parents. Keeping your whole family in my prayers.
    Let Go and Let God,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying hard. Your strength is amazing. I pray God will wrap you all in His loving arms and comfort you during this time. I pray for strength for you all. I pray most of all for Ava's healing. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Josh and Lisa,

    We are covering you with our prayers. I know that this is a difficult journey...one that no parent would ever want to walk through with their child.
    We will pray for you to have the Holy Spirit's wisdom and direction on this journey and for you to feel His peace.
    Ava is a very blessed little girl in that she has two parents who not only love her to pieces but walk by faith even in the storms.
    Hugs to all of you,
    Cindie

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have walked the GBM journey with some very close friends, which makes this form of cancer very near and dear to our hearts. Also, it happens that our daughter is dating a young man in medical school who is working at St. Jude's this summer in the GBM research lab; they're working every day on a cure. I will keep your beautiful Ava in my prayers for a complete recovery. God bless your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Josh & Lisa-
    I go to GCC and follow Mark's blog daily. Since I've learned of the journey your family is on I've been praying daily and checking your blog as well. God has Ava in His arms and if it helps, I'm imagining the tumor being gone. Complete healing is what I'm praying for your precious little girl.
    God has you both and Noah, too.
    Jody Brinks

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found your blog through Kelly's Korner and we're praying!! I have a daughter who will turn 5 in September and I know all about waking up to a giggly, energetic girl. I am praying that yours is fully restored. (And I am from Casselberry originally ... small world. I hope all goes well with Hunter Vision for you, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What words can I express to you that you dont already know? You have all the tools you need (given to you by God above) and you are using them. In our earthly minds/bodies it is impossible not to go "there" but he promises to be faithful and see you through. Keep looking up. You have the doc thing down...remember they are just words, they dont know what our God is doing through all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praying, Praying, Praying for your precious angel baby girl as well as the entire family.
    We are going to see GREAT things for the youngest member of the Hunter family.
    GOD IS SO GOOD!!!!
    Oklahoma wants to be on Team Hunter.
    May God pour out His Love on you today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Josh, There is no doubt in my mind that God is in complete control of this situation! I know that he loves Ava more than anyone else possibly could love her (even you and Lisa). That seems impossible doesn't it? But it's true. I believe that he will go before you into the doctors office, and will be in TOTAL control of what the doctors say, and everything that lies ahead. Trust him! He will guide their hearts, hands and words. He sees the whole picture from beginning to end, we do not. Please know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers continually, consistantly and constantly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Someone else said this on a blog....
    GBM stands for God's Biggest Miracle!
    God has given you the Big one so when Ava is healed, no one can doubt that it was a true miracle from God. What better family to give this to than you? Wrap your hearts around this news...thousands of our prayers are being heard and we are ready for God to prevail over all other scenarios the doctors are presenting to you. Ava is on the receiving end of GBM-God's Biggest Miracle! Yes, Lord come! Jim and Anna Smith

    ReplyDelete
  15. Josh & Lisa, you are such wonderful parents! I'm praying that Ava *is healed* and the doctors just don't know it yet. Thank you Jesus!!!!!! x-o-x-o, Diane Chavis

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tracy and I will be praying all day for you guys. You are all so loved-

    ReplyDelete
  17. Josh,
    I so greatly appreciate your approach with doctors. Our culture gives so much authority to doctors (and I am appreciate for them as someone dating one) but we know that God is the only authority. I encourage you in your faith and in your positive expectation. This same doctor that I am dating was given a bone cancer diagnosis and given 6 months to live....5 years ago....he regrets going through debilitating chemo and found alternatives and some medicine based in India(who are not as pharmaceutically movivated as our medicine system.) He developed cynicism towards his own colleagues, and how readily they dismissed him. How incorrectly they judged him.

    Although not a bible quote, I will quote Shakespeare in regards to our current system of medicine "there are more things in heaven and earth, than are dreamt of in your philosophy"

    You are on the right track Josh. I am sorry that your example of faith has to come under such extreme circumstances, but each word that you write rings true.
    Oh and the book "Anti-Cancer" was written by a psychiatrist who beat a brain tumor, twice.

    Best

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, you guys already have so much wisdom going into this. You know what the docs are going to say and why they will say it. I was vulnerable and naive at your stage and I let them tear me to pieces. I'm thrilled that you and Lisa are in a much better frame of mind. You 2 are awesome parents. God uses strong willed, determined parents like you to heal children like Ava! You are taking charge of her health and that is going to be what saves her from this. I love reading your blog. Everything you say is so encouraging. We prayed for wisdom and God gave it to us triple fold. We prayed for healing and it didn't actually happen until we started doing what God intended. He is in the works, you can believe that. After you beat this thing, You will be in awe at how much you learned. You will appreciate things you have never thought to appreciate and you will love life more than you ever thought possible. Most people go their entire lives and never know the "true" meaning of life. You will know and feel that meaning. I would go through all of this all over again to know what I know now. We will be praying for your strength today. God Bless, Renee <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know of two well renowned neurosurgeons who it may help to contact. It might be good to see if they would look into Ava's case. They are:Keith Black, director of the Maxine Dunitz Neurosurgical Institute at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, California and Dr. Alfredo QuiƱones-Hinojosa is the Associate Professor of Neurosurgery, Neuroscience, Oncology and Cellular and Molecular Medicine, and the Director of the Brain Tumor Stem Cell Laboratory at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine located in Baltimore, Maryland.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think about and pray for Ava and your family often throughout the day. I know some of what you're feeling about the oncologist visit and you did such an amazing job putting that into words. Prayers that you get through it with lots of peace in your heart!

    Always praying...always believing...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Praying for you Lisa, Josh, Ava and Noah. Knowing that today will be a minute-by-minute struggle and asking God for about a million things on behalf of each of you. At your request, the number one prayer has been for God to choose complete and miraculous healing that we can give Him all the glory in THAT path - even though we know He'll receive all the glory no matter the path. More scriptures that brought each of you to mind as I read them this week (just bits and pieces for the sake of brevity, but full section is in 2 Cor. 1:8-11

    "We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about the hardships we suffered in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, FAR BEYOND OUR ABILITY TO ENDURE, so that we despaired even of life.
    . . . On Him we have set our hope that He will CONTINUE to deliver us as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many."

    HIS peace go with this morning as well as HIS wisdom, direction, discernment, and protection.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Josh,
    I don't know if you will read this. I can only hope that you do. In May, when my mother became suddenly ill, I knew in my heart and spirit that she was about to see the face of Jesus. The miracle, as you dad once taught me, would come in her physical death and in her spiritual homecoming. But each day, as I read your blog, my heart and spirit tell me that your miracle will come in physical healing on this earth. Hold tight, old friend.

    Eva Marie Everson

    ReplyDelete
  23. Praying for you today as you meet with the doctors.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That was a great way of explaining it to her. She is such a trooper and know she is going to beat this thing!! No weapon formed against her shall prosper!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. We are praying Josh and Lisa. Praying hard. And knowing that our God is BIGGER that this. Love you guys.

    Your sister and brother in Christ,
    Maruxa and Dennis Murphy

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have been following your store on Facebook and keeping your little one in our prayers.
    I have a good friend who is also battling GBM. She was diagnosed in Oct 2008 and has undergone a number of treatments and surgeries. Right now she is on her way to Isreal for a vaccine trial. You can red her story here at www.faithforcathy.com but please read the section title "read more" for info on the vaccine. UCLA is conducting the trial for the vaccine and you can qualify if you have not had chemo--but if you have had treatments, the trial arm in Isreal can accept you.
    I hope this is the answer for Ava!

    ReplyDelete
  27. BROTHER JOSH GOD BLESS... I WROTE ABOUT OUR SON JON AMAZING HEALING UNDER LITTLE BITS JULY 7 I GUESS. I DON'T KNOW IF YOU GO BACK AND READ OLD POST'S COMMENTS BUR PL PL GO THERE AND READ MINE. AVA'S CONDITION MAY BE HARD TO HEAL BUT OUR SON JON'S CONDITION WAS IMPOSSIBLE, BY SURGERY, MED'S OR DR'S OR ANY EXISTING SCIENCE OR ANY MEN, WAY OR METHOD. BUT GOD DID IT! HIS STORY IS A FAITH LIFTER! IN SAID COMMENT 7/7 I LEFT OUR INFO SO PL CONTACT US! PRAYING FOR A MIRACLE FOR YOUR GIRL! SIS NERTY NERTY4JESUS@YAHOO.COM

    ReplyDelete