My boy is growing up. He turns 12 next week. Noah is a great kid and always has been. He's the easy going one of our two children. He is the typical oldest sibling in that he feels all the responsibility for every situation, but he is as sweet as any kid you will ever meet. He's moving on just as you would expect a 12 year old to. He knows what is going on with his sister (we didn't candy coat anything for him), but he is not yet able to process it all the way an adult would.
He loves his sister. He cares for her like an older brother should (furious with her one minute and loving her the next...but, no one else better mess with her lest they feel his fury). It's interesting to watch him process all of this. Since the hospital time, we have involved Noah in every part of her care. He is part of helping her get where she needs to and goes on the doc visits with us (when appropriate, of course). He has spent a lot of time playing wii with her. It helps her with her strength building and he has a good time too.
He is a great young man. He has the unique opportunity, at a young age, to walk through some of the toughest stuff any adult could ever face. He gets to journey with us through uncharted waters in the battle of life for his sister. He will do more growing up in the next few years than most will in their whole life. God tells us that he will not give us more than we can handle, so I can only trust that this too will make him what God needs him to be. When he is an adult, we will be able to talk about these times together. I look forward to those days.
I can't wait to be on a hunting trip with him in 15 years as we talk about the journey of his transition years into manhood and how quickly he had to become a man. It will serve him well if we lead him well. I am reminded daily how important it is to make sure that he is part of the journey. Noah will be a man soon enough. He will be one sooner than his friends. It is a gift that must not be taken for granted. He is being built into a load bearer for Christ and I couldn't be more proud of him.
Noah will make a difference for God. It's my job to make sure he has that opportunity. I am proud to call him my son. My greatest hope is that we make it through this in a way that he will be proud I am his father. My boy is growing up...and so am I.
Josh, Noah has been blessed RICHLY with incredible role models to emulate!!! He is so fortunate to have such strong, Godly men in his family. Noah and my 12 year old, Madison were in their first preschool class together at Co-Op-- he was THE SWEETEST little guy in the world then, and I can only imagine what an amazing young man he is now. I think about him often and continue to pray for him as well as Ava, and your familly. You are an amazing father!
ReplyDeleteJosh, you are an amazing father. I know you are proud! Noah has been blessed with such wonderful parents. I know he will be such a testimony for God!
ReplyDeleteWhat you just wrote struck me hard. I keep thinking back to a sermon your dad gave where he said "it's not 'boys will be boys'...it's 'boys will be men'". I love what you said about Noah being given a gift. Wow. Talk about the right perspective!
ReplyDeleteI have been in Noah's shoes as a sibling to a cancer warrior and I pray for his strength. May God grant him peace and use this experience that he is in the middle of to His glory.
Always praying...always believing!
Josh,
ReplyDeleteYou have a wonderful son, but that is not a surprise. In working with children I have learned that children are truly a product of their enviorment and I am certain that Noah is no exception. Ava is very blessed to have a big brother that loves and protects her and in this experiance that each of you are having you will each grow exponentially, especially Ava. God's plan is beautiful and amazing just as your children are. I look forward to hearing stories from your father about that hunting trip with you and Noah in about 20 yrs as I am certain it will be blessed and beautiful!!!! Happy Birthday to Noah a kind, brave, loving and superb young man.....
Praying and believing daily in complete healing and happiness for each of you...
Thie Simonson's
Happy Birthday, Noah! You are a blessing to your whole family and it is wonderful to hear such beautiful things about you.
ReplyDeleteHope you have a wonderful Bday Noah! You know, it's really amazing that you are already turning any parents nightmare into a blessing. Weeks into it, I was still crying my eyes out everyday feeling sorry for our family and being stuck with a constant headache from all the crying! lol. I didn't start to see this as a blessing until about 8 months ago. You, Lisa and Noah will all be even more amazing than you already are. I almost feel "lucky" because God has shown me how to look at life in a way that most people will never see it in. It's an incredible journey. And yes, you are right...Noah will become an even more intellegent, bright, mature young man sooner than his friends because of this.
ReplyDeleteYou are an AWSOME father and Noah you are a AWSOME big brother! Happy Birthday Noah!May God Bless you on your special day!
ReplyDeleteYou're a great dad, Josh. We're still praying-
ReplyDeleteJosh, Lisa, Noah & Ava: You are still in my prayers. Remember to let Noah have a childhood, also. Growing up quickly is hard. Play time, time to just be Noah and to be a child is very, very important. I know it is hard to realise that in times like this. Just a gentle reminder from a friend that knows. I love you all. Remember "Life Ain't No Ride On No Pink Duck". God bless you all. Miss Rae P.S. The pink duck is a quote from a devotional by Patsy Clairmont in a book called 'Joy Breaks'. It's a great book Lisa if you can find it! I got my copy a library book sale.
ReplyDeleteNoah, Happy Birthday to you,
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday dear Noah,
Happy Birthday to you!!
How old are you? How old are you? How old are Y-o-o-o-o-u-u-u-u-u-u? H-o-o-w-w-w-w o-o-l-l-l-d-d-d a-r-e y-y-y-o-o-o-o-o-o-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u????? Imagine you favorite, your very favorite singer singing it to you.... because I have a terribly, awful voice!!! Happy Birthday Noah!! May God bless you with many more birthdays!!!!! Miss rae
Josh-
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you mentioned Noah today. I've been thinking about him in the last couple of days, wondering how he is handling the situation.
Still praying for you, Lisa, Ava & Noah.
Jody Brinks
It's crazy that he is 12. It's seems like 5 years ago that I was sitting with your mom in the nursing room at Northland holding him and was sleeping in my arms and I was so excited to be holding a baby because you guys were like the only people I knew that had a baby at that time. And now he is 12!! WOW! That was a touching tribute to him and, as a mom of 5, I must applaud you for being very up front and open with him about the situation. It drives me nuts when parents shelter their children, to a fault, from the realities of life that God uses to grow and refine us. I will be praying for him as well. But definitely I think you are doing the right thing. I always try, with my kids, to be up front with them about things that are age appropriate and they always surprise me with how they can handle it.
ReplyDeleteAnd what great news about Ava's 5 steps today.
Praying in Peru!
Josh,
ReplyDeleteSo glad to read about Noah today. I think of that big-hearted boy so often and have wondered how he is doing. I whole-heatedly agree, God no doubt has amazing things in store for him. Still praying for all of you.
Love,
Mandy Turnbull
What a beautiful tribute to your son Noah....God gifts us truly when He gives us more than one child and allows us to see each of them in their uniqueness....God bless Noah as he walks through this part of his journey to adulthood...God bless Ava as she knows and treasures her brother in her heart (even on the days they want to go at it) and God bless you and Lisa as you lead each of these 2 blessings we call children.
ReplyDelete