Thursday, September 30, 2010

Middle School Football

Talk about awesome. There is nothing like middle school football. It pits a 75 pound 6th grader against a 275 pound 8th grader. It's likely the only legal sport in the world that endorses such ridiculousness. But, it sure is fun to watch. There are kids who wouldn't hit someone if you paid them and then there are kids who do nothing but hit people all day, so why would they stop for a football game?

Noah played tonight. It was really fun. Tonight was a battle of the defeateds. It was 2 teams with records of 0-4 battling to the finish. We won. Our team is likely the first team in history to win only the last game of the season and soak the coach with the gatorade bath. That was hilarious.

So we finish 1-4 with a coach that needs a shower.

It was a great character building season for Noah...seems like those are coming in droves for my little man right now. But, the lessons are clear. It rarely goes exactly as you want, so you better learn to push through to get where you need to be.

Middle School football taught me that.

9 comments:

  1. Love it! Glad he enjoyed himself :)
    Praying for you all and for your friends mentioned in the previous post. Thanks for asking us all to pray for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, i can agree - it is exactly the ridiculous difference in weight and height in middle school that got my son in a cast last week in his rookie season of football. When 110 pounds 5' 1" gets taken down by 230 pounds 6'2" there really is little chance of survival without injury. For some reason Americans love it, i myself prefer real football, or shall i say soccer, but have caught myself a time of two this season yelling at the top of my lungs as a small piece of pigskin makes it's way in the right direction. Tonight's game was perfect , the weather was great, the light was great for photos, the score, not so great, - we lost 42 to 12, with no gatorade bath, a tough end to the season. I will be sure to have my son read your post tomorrow, before basketball tryouts begin. I LOVE middle school sports!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh-
    So great that you could enjoy Noah's football game! And they won!!! Yeah! I love football. Tell him congrats.
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love to hear of the love for your young man!

    I've been keeping up with a friend's friend's blog and, as I read it today, I though you and Lisa may find some comfort in the words - better, the heart - of grieving parents. Praying for you all...

    http://rustylynette.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josh, I have a feeling that Noah is going to grow up to be a wonderful man, just like his dad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awe, glad the boys got to record a win in their last game! I dread the day our son plays his first football game. I know it's coming in a few years and I'm starting to mentally prepare now!

    Noah has had a lot of character-building experiences and just seeing him at the celebration of Ava's life was all I needed see to know he is going to make the Hunter family proud. He has quite a few examples to show him the way from the men in his life. All boys should be so lucky!

    Always praying...always believing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. CONGRATULATIONS NOAH!!!!!! Josh , I am so glad you enjoyed your sons game! The weather was great for a football game last night! Praying for you all and your friends.....Cindy Miller

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like a fun evening. one thing: life rarely goes the way you think it might or should. I love this scripture: Isaiah 55:8-9: "My thoughts are not your thoughts, Neither are your ways My ways," declares the Lord. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways And My thoughts than your thoughts." We worship and Awesome and Surprising God! :)+

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so right! Love it!

    ReplyDelete