It's about that time. Saturday marks opening day of bow season in Central Florida. You know where I'll be. I'll be chasing the illusive whitetail deer from Saturday until sometime in December when I call it quits.
Hunting is all things awesome wrapped into one. It is time in the woods just watching God's creation come alive with the rising of the sun and watching it go still as it sets. It is incredible color and sound. It is time with man family (son, brothers, uncles, cousins). It is a celebration of the harvest no matter who brings it home. It is time alone that restores my soul in its deepest places. It's time with God. And this year, for the first time, it will be time with Ava.
I can't wait to get 15 ft up in a tree and be with her. There will be a time this season when Noah will go with me and I will be with both of my kids. I look forward to it very much.
I rarely get anything, but a successful hunt is one where everyone comes home after being a part of nature instead of viewing it from afar. I will spend more time this year in a tree because I need it and I want some extra time with God and Ava.
I can't wait. I may not even take my bow, nah...that's crazy talk.
This will be a grand season. Enjoy your time with both of your children. :)
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to hear what revelations God and Ava bring to you this hunting season!
ReplyDeleteI love, love, love your blog. I have never met you, or any of your family.....but I feel like I know you all so well. I love the way that you describe your loved ones and what is going on your mind. Please write a book one day. I will be first in line to buy it :) Still praying for you and your family. God Bless!
ReplyDeleteI was reading "The wonder of nature" in Our Daily Bread (Sept. 16th page)..It seems to speak to you. You have touched my life and made me stronger in my faith.
ReplyDeleteAwesome! May you have the best hunting season ever. Enjoy you time with your kids. I believe it's going to be a great hunting season. Happy Hunting, Mr. Hunter (:
ReplyDeleteI've never hunted before but it sounds appealing the way you describe it! I'm excited for you that you will have this dedicated time with God, Ava, Noah and those you hunt with. I pray that it renews you and brings you peace.
ReplyDeleteAlways praying...always believing...
Yeah, you're right. Take your bow. :-)
ReplyDeleteJosh, you sound just like my son! He says the same thing and rarely gets anything either. I told him maybe this year will be your year! I have a spot already picked out for his deer head on the wall! Maybe it will be your year too with the help if your kids! Ya never know... Good lUCK!
ReplyDeleteCindy Miller
there are deer in central FL? dumb question lol i grew up there but never saw any!
ReplyDeleteAnd I'll be on your bike tomorrow morning on a trail in Orlando! You can pray that I don't wreck, and I will pray you kill a deer.
ReplyDeleteI know I say it all the time, but love y'all so much and praying for y'all so much. Allie
I hope you come home with lots of deer. You deserve to. Mostly I hope you have an awesome time.
ReplyDeleteIt's gonna be real hard explaining to Lisa and Noah how you got the deer (elk, moose, caribou, whatever) head that's going to find it's way to you from my storage shed to your home if you don't bring your bow so...as Mark said, you really do need to bring it. Of course you COULD say you jumped down from the tree stand, chased that sucker through the woods, finally caught him, and wrassled with him until you came out victorious..or that the deer looked up, saw you in the stand with the Grizzly Adams beard you said you planned on growing and had a had a heart attack thinking that a bear was about to jump from the tree and attack him. Be creative Josh- but above all enjoy the time you have in the woods with both the deer and your dear...
ReplyDeleteBe safe. God bless.
Mike
I can picture you and Ava up in that tree and she has the most beautiful proud smile on her face. She loves her Daddy so much!!God Bless you Josh and please besafe!!Good Luck!!!
ReplyDeletethe last line made me smile, Josh. hunting is much like fishing: the quiet surroundings, the anticipation of a catch, and not really caring whether it is made or not. enjoy every minute of your time with God, Ava, Josh and the family. :)+
ReplyDeleteYou are absolutely amazing! What an inspiration you are to me. I have never met you or your family but I feel such an abundance of love for you and your family. Your faith is amazing. Thank you for setting such an amazing example for others to follow through the trials that our earthly life brings. It is so uplifting to read how your find joy in the little miracles God sends our way. May God continue to bless your family with love, comfort, support and peace.
ReplyDeleteIt is so healing to be out in God's beautiful nature and I know you and Ava and Noah will enjoy it and all of you get to know eachother better and feel closer to them and to God. He speaks to us alot and it is so much easier to hear Him sitting in a tree. May He richly bless your time together!!
ReplyDelete