I watch a lot of hunting shows. One of my favorites (that the kids love as well) often uses the slogan "BBD". BBD stands for "Big Buck Down". Well, I got the buck and down part done today...however, big is not a word you would use to describe it. It was just a li'l 6pt, but it was a trophy to me. It was my first deer with this bow, it was my first deer hunt with my girl, and it was opening day of the season...can't ask for more.
I spent most of the day in a tree just talking to God and Ava. I also spent a good portion of the day just watching nature do its thing. Turkeys were fighting sand hill cranes, squirrels were yelling at each other over acorns, and little blue birds were yelling at me because they didn't want me in their tree. It was awesome. I needed it so much.
I have an awesome wife that doesn't get mad if I need a day or two in the woods. She takes care of everything so I can get that time. She's not a big hunter, but she understands that I need it...she is awesome.
I had a wonderful day with God, Ava and the harvest of an incredible animal that will feed our family.
I told you this blog was down home. I am a country boy who is stuck in the city. Days like today remind me of just that :)
Me, too. A country girl stuck in the city. Well, not quite city, I'm near preserve land, but spend more time on the road and at work in my office than outdoors. For me, a short walk with one of our dogs gets me outside. We've had a crow in the next lot cawing away lately in the morning. We see lots of deer around here--glad there isn't any hunting, though (wink). We need those quiet times with God. I could use some now! -M
ReplyDeleteYou will of course remember the deer not for the size, but for the day. Thankful you had it.
ReplyDeleteAwesome!!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the BBD!! My prayers continue for your family. I know that God will provide everything you need. What a blessing God provides in giving you that heavenly vision of Ava.
ReplyDeleteGreat way to start the Hunting season!!
It's amazing how even the littlest of deers (and dears) make a dramatic impact in your life...
ReplyDeleteCongrats on taking in your first deer of the season. Now, what time will Lida have the venison stew ready? I'll bring dessert...
Mike
CONGRATS JOSH!!!!! I went on to see if you blogged yet last night before I went to bed, was a bit disappionted you hadn't posted yet and would have to wait til morning! But I quickly dismissed the thaught because I had a strong feeling you got something yesterday! I guess I was right! We are also country folk stuck in the city. Our son is so country it really is sad but it is what it is! I'm very happy you and your girl had a GREAT hunt yesterday and I hope you have more to come! Can't wait to share this with my son and husband! I am also looking forward to more hunting stories!
ReplyDeleteCindy Miller
Congratulations Josh.
ReplyDeleteA buck on opening day of archery season is a remarkable and memorable celebration. I'm glad got out. I'm glad you had the day, the time and the blessing of your wife to go.
Thanks for posting. Your stories encourage me.
Josh-
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear about your success. That's great that Lisa takes care of things while you're out fetching food for the fam. I'm sure Ava was right there with you.
God Bless you all-
Jody
Awesome Josh! Congratulations on the BBD! I was excited to check the blog to see how you did your first day out! Nature is great to allow you the time to be with God and have Ava right there with you. I am the wife of a fishing family, so I understand Lisa's support and the meaning of the time for my husband and boys and the thrill of the catch. Enjoy and God Bless You!
ReplyDeleteCheri Gillett
It sounds like you, Ava and God are still making sweet memories together!! You made my day! God bless you all!!
ReplyDeleteanother "aha" moment, another "Ava" moment - a niece, following God with her heart - taken aback by "Terry Wayne" a cousin, leaving behind a young wife & 1mo old baby - I have re-directed her, to your site, in hopes she will see what I have seen, a faith, insurmountable by earthly things - thank you, Ava, for your profound love of Christ - this child who was lightyears ahead of you and me
ReplyDeleteYeah! Great job Josh.
ReplyDeleteIf you ever go fox hunting, Joey will want to learn. And knowing Joey, maybe kill it with the most primitive tool ever created, like a spear.
In the dawn of the morning as light takes over the darkness, if you listen you can hear His voice and see His work. He seems so far, but yet so close. You can sense those whom we miss and love so much. Sometimes I am found waiting and sometimes I find I am resting my head and heart on His chest.The stillness reminds me of His peace. The tears remind of of joy and sadness. I share your day Josh. I am glad for you and I can imagine it. You are never alone, God is great and He loves you.
ReplyDelete