Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Another card delivery...

My mom and pop delivered another bunch of cards today. People (you people) have been amazing to us as we have walked through these last few weeks. We have received thousands of cards and notes and have read every one of them.

What I learned is that it matters. It matters to take two minutes of your life and let someone know you are praying for them when they are grieving. I can't tell you how much encouragement Lisa and I get from all of your notes and support. It has truly been a gift to us.

I will forever forward remember what it's like to be in this position and how much it matters to people when you tell them you care. It's easy to think that someone else will do it or that it won't matter. It does.

God put us here for relationship. No time in my life has it been clearer. We know the joy of having it and the pain of losing it. Blessed are those who mourn because they have truly loved.

We are blessed.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Josh, I saw that you had no comments posted for today's blog, so I figured I would be the first one! I just wanted to say a few things. First of all, I agree with what you said...it does matter! In a big way!!
    I am in New York away from home (Orlando) until next Thursday. I enjoy reading and meditating on your thoughts, thanks for writing. As yourself, I am a family man that loves Jesus. I have a daughter who is 5 (Victoria) and a new born who came to this world last Friday (Kiara). I want you to know that I care deeply for what you and your family are going through. I wish you nothing but the best during these difficult times. I hope my words encourage you and maybe even put a momentary smile on your face. Sleep well knowing that there are people praying that God would touch you and your loved one's with his gentle hand. Always, Bruno.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh, I've been mad at the Big Man for several years, but Ava, Noah, Lisa and you have shown me alot. You've shown me he cares about the small stuff, the large stuff, the stuff we understand, the stuff we don't, the stuff we care about, the stuff we ignore, the stuff we love and the stuff we hate.
    No idea how to say thank you. I know God is good, but it's hard, near impossible to be mad at someone who is always good to you and those you care about no matter what.
    Thanks for the reminder I needed and knowing how hard headed I am, will always need reminders.
    Jim Capobianco

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I got a little lesson from the Lord in this same area as a result of my recent accident. It has forever changed how I will be there for people in their time of need. I have learned so much about my friendships and what those relationships in my life mean to me in the most awesome way, too. I'm sure you can relate on a much grander scale!

    Indeed - blessed are those who mourn because they have truly loved. Isaac did an amazing job breaking this down and I think back to it often.

    Always praying...always believing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are truly loved, Josh, Lisa, and Noah.
    Won't stop praying!
    Allie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josh, We Love you! Matt.5:3-5 tells us why.God has used your family in a mighty way and as your dad put it "Nothing gets your attention more when it is a child." Very true words and the evil was not in vain. I think I have missed 1 of your posts which was sat. as we were out of town. You have made me cry ,you have made me laugh, you have made me think and most of all you have made me admire you as a dad ,father and husband. Your family is the first thing on my mind in the morning besides God of coarse and the the last thing on my mind at night. We are always praying for you and will for a very long time... Cindy Miller

    ReplyDelete
  6. Josh keeping Lisa Noah and you in my prayers daily.
    Psalm 80 says You put us on a diet of tears--God of the angel armies come back Smile your Blessing smile. That will be our Salvation.
    I know the God we trust will not let your mourning be wasted.
    Pray that He will anoint you with His Blessing Smile every day.
    Love you Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Continuing to pray for you all daily. I too often think about how Issac explained the Bible verse of Blessed are those who mourn. I pray that God continues to bless your family with comfort and peace. With much love and admiration from someone who has never met you all but counts you as part of my family.
    Stephenie Combs

    ReplyDelete
  8. I care! I think of you and your family everyday and draw as much strength from watching your faith as you do from our prayers. We lift you up in prayer daily.

    ReplyDelete
  9. May our father in heaven continue to pour out
    His steadfast and tender love into your good heart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love you and your family and care so much about you even though we have never met. I think about your family constantly and sweet Ava's smile. God has really used your blog to enrich my faith. Thank you for your example.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Josh, I've known that your walk with Jesus during Ava's illness and since then was touching my heart, but I didn't realize how much until this weekend.

    The end of my hardest trial so far in life is near, but last Sunday I was feeling so overwhelmed by everything that still needed to be done. At the altar call, a friend mentioned that God was showing him someone who was having rib pain. Well, that was me, so I went up to receive prayer for my physical hurt.

    Everyone in church laid hands on my wound, but then the wounds of my heart just came flowing out. I was in His presence, His arms and His love. It was absolute surrender like I've never experienced before... and I was able to ask friends for support and help, because I was surrendered to His will and not mine.

    All this to say that y'all have really helped in building my faith to the point that I was able to surrender and obey. Thanks to you and your family for the lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ava is such a inspiration to me. I can feel that she is with us all in spirit. I feel honored and blessed to be able to pray for your family. I often think about Ava and you, Lisa, and Noah. I find it your family's story so moving. Will never stop praying! - Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is an excerpt from a sermon by John Wesley in the 1800's. It made me think of you guys. Thanks for being faithful to God for all of us to see.

    "Add to this the advantage which others may receive by seeing our behavior under affliction. We find by experience, example frequently makes a deeper impression upon us than precept. And what examples have a stronger influence, not only on those who are partakers of like precious faith, but even on them who have not known God, than that of a soul calm and serene in the midst of storms; sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; meekly accepting whatever is the will of God, however grievous it may be to nature; saying, in sickness and pain, "The cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it?" -- in loss or want, "The Lord gave; the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord!"

    ReplyDelete