Thursday, October 21, 2010

Tattoos




Some people hate them. Some people like them. I happen to like them, much to the chagrin of my mother. But, she loves me anyway :) I have 2. I have one that says "doulos" which means "bond slave to Christ". I have another of an eagle with a heart in his talons. The heart reads "lisa". It was a present I got for her birthday a few years ago and she loved it.

I am thinking about another that in some way memorializes Ava's life and honors Noah. Not sure if or when I will get it, but it would mean a lot to me, so I likely will.

Lisa has always liked them, but never was one to get them. That changed when Ava left us here and went on to be with Jesus. She got this tattoo about a week after Ava passed away. It is an actual drawing that Ava did a few months before she got sick. It is the coolest thing I have ever seen and I tear up almost every time I see it.

Our girl is precious to us. This is just a little way we can remember her together. It's on Lisa's wrist and will be there forever.

Tattoos divide people sometimes. But, this one shouldn't.

51 comments:

  1. What a beautiful way for Lisa to honor Ava! I love that it is an actual drawing Ava made. I love it! It looks amazing!

    -Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that is just so sweet! BUT I could best relate to the third sentence:) When you wrote it like this, I could maybe understand the tattoo thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it... Love it ... Love it.... And i love all three of you, Josh, Hunter and little noah!! Hope to see you this sunday at the baptism.. shawnie whitaker

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!!!! God Bless you all!! You and your family are still and always in my prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely LOVE this!! What an amazing tattoo! I have a memorial tattoo on my wrist as well. Same wrist as Lisa, from the looks of it. Mine says: "Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace." It's the first line of the prayer of St. Francis. In honor of my father, who passed away two years ago. That prayer reminds me of the life that my father lived. It was fitting that he passed on the feast day of St. Francis. I hope Ava and my dad meet up there. I know they would be fast friends.
    Love, prayers and hugs to you, Lisa and Noah... ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing. Simply amazing. I love it <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is awesome, Lisa!!! I love it!!! That is so, so, so special and I love that it is an actual drawing that Ava did.

    My dad passed a year before my wedding. On my wedding day, a dragonfly flew in and out of the church with me. It was my sign from my dad. I have always wanted a dragonfly tattoo to memorialize him. My hubby is dead set against them. So, he got me a dragonfly diamond necklace that I wanted as a compromise ;) I seldom take it off. I'm still fighting the urge though!

    Always praying...always believing...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Josh, I have a tattoo on my upper arm that is an outline of a butterfly with face of a tiger inside. Till Ava got sick, I used to tell people that related to womens' strength, but now I use it to show Ava's tenacity in the face of the cancer. Please let Lisa know that other tattoos honor Ava, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd heard Lisa got this! Thanks for posting. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great tribute! I myself do not have a tattoo and probably will never get one (I am a wimp) but I think this is a great honor and testament to our precious Ava! God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not a tattoo person but I LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing. What a gift that is an actual drawing that Ava made. I think the key about tattoos is the what and the why. I don't think there can be a much better answer to either points than Ava's story! I love it. Go Lisa. It is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an awesome memorial to Ava! It is the most beautiful tattoo I have ever seen!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Josh, although I generally do not like tattoos, I just love this one. When I saw the picture, I thought it looked like Ava's writing which I remember from the service. What a wonderful way for Lisa to see her daughter's name every day 24/7. Lisa is such a beautiful woman and this just adds to her beauty. I never thought I would say that about a tattoo!! I hope you all have a great weekend. Keeping you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When has a tattoo been more appropriate?! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I love this! That tattoo is totally amazing! =0)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not a tatoo person, but think they are such a great way to honor and remember someone. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So very special!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cool--- bet Jesus let Ava see her Mom's wrist.... and I bet they hit palms and just said wow...that's cool!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it! What an awesome thing for Lisa to do. Hopefully you will do another soon as well! I was never much of a tatoo person. A bit on the conservative side but I must say I have been changing my mind and I am a bit tempted lately. My dear friend recently had a cross tatooed on her wrist in the same place Lisa has hers and I think it is so awesome. I think it is so cool that it is something that Ava drew. What a great way to keep her memory alive. Hugs to you, Lisa and Noah. HOpe you have a great weekend. Keeping you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  21. In a photo of you somewhere online (maybe facebook) i saw the lisa eagle tattoo and thought it must be a fake, knowing your mother - well, you learn something new everyday - never pictured the Hunters as tattoed. BUT, this is different. I hope you love it, I am sure it will be a conversation piece for years to come, and who knows? it may lead even more people to Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE it! I literally gasped and got chills.

    ReplyDelete
  23. How great is that!!! I love it.
    Still praying for the Hunter's daily.
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  24. My daughter attends Noah's school. One day I was speaking to one of their classmates when I noticed AVA in red letters on his wrist. I didn't say anything but I thought is was such a beautiful tribute. So many people, adults and children, have been touched my Ava. Lisa's tribute is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. i was not, but now am, a tattoo person! still praying daily for all of you!! Peace and Grace~

    ReplyDelete
  26. I never was one for tattoos (my niece has armfuls of them).

    But this is the coolest tattoo ever! Beautiful, Lisa, what a lovely reminder! M.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think it is truley AWSOME!!!! What a BEAUTIFUL way to memorialize Ava! I too feel they are ok for some and not others. My son has 2 with his fathers and my permission and they are very meaningful tatoos. He asked to get 2 more one scripture verse and something memorializing his grandparents! All unseen. So I guessI agree with them...Any way what a beautiful way to remember your angel!
    Cindy Miller

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am not a fan of tattoo's.....having said that, when I read the tattoo on Lisa's arm, my heart swelled up and I could feel the love. It is AWESOME! If that is what you need to do then so be it. I love it! I wanted to do that after my son passed on....I just couldn't. I admire you for doing it...God Bless XO

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is the best tattoo I have ever seen. I mean it. The best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am not a fan of tattoos, but that one ROCKS! I love it and think it is great. Hey, after seeing this one, I may change my mind about tattoos! :) Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  31. hey josh - awaiting your sunday update and hoping this was a good sunday for you, a faithful follower of Jesus and your blog

    ReplyDelete
  32. Erica Shea Greene here....I just wanted to thank you for living out an incredible testimony here....I am touched and inspired by you and your precious family! You have compelled me to the throne on many occasions. Thanks for your courage and witness. Y'all are the real deal.

    ReplyDelete
  33. When someone dies you naturally want to have something that they touched or wrote or a message of their voice. I can't think of anything more fitting than for a mother to constantly carry around a beautiful picture of her daughter's artwork. She can look at it every day for the rest of her life. It is a beautiful memorial.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Still praying for each of the Hunters and Gables!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love it! It's perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this!!!!!

    Designed by an Angel!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I hang my son's art everywhere... he loves it. I am sure Ava loves this. It is absolutely amazing... do what your heart sings. God bless you all. Did you see Oprah today? I honestly don't watch it much. However, I have the blessing of working around very very sick children like Ava was. I see much saddness but then god blesses me with a miracle now and then. I get the blessing of giving my boys that extra kiss on the head and rethinking my approach when I get frustrated. I think of Ava and your family often, it has changed my life.

    ReplyDelete
  38. i LOVE this tattoo! I myself have 9, and none are as beautiful as this.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I am a fan of tattoos and currently have 5 of them myself (but not finished). I have 6 kids and all my tattoos reflect each one of my children. This is self expression and I must say, Lisa's tat is fab!! A memory that is with her forever and always within her immediate sight. God Bless and much love.

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a beautiful tattoo. I think and pray for your family often.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Tattoos are cool, I got some. I once heard a guy tattoo two Greek words on his forearms that were the names of Jesus. He said that he always wanted to hold his most prize possess in his arms at all times. I love that, I love Lisa's on her wrist too. I see mine everyday on that part of my wrist (same location as Lisa's). Life is about joy and happiness which are created from our past blessings from God. Some people have pictures, some journals, some faded memories; I personally enjoy staining my skin in meaningful images and words of my family and my life.

    ReplyDelete
  42. That is awesome! What a wonderful memory for Lisa to always have! Think about your family everyday!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a beautiful tattoo! I love it...and what a great way to start a conversation with people about Ava who might not know her.

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a wonderful tattoo and way to remember her. It is especially beautiful because it was done by Ava's own hand. You are always in my prayers. I pray that every day you see something that reminds you of her and makes you smile or laugh. It is so easy to see something that makes us tear up when we lose someone. So we pray for smiles and fun stories. My little girl (who will be 1 next month) and I pray this prayer for your family every night.

    ReplyDelete