I exchanged a few emails today with a man I haven't ever met. It doesn't matter that we never met. He lost his daughter in December of '08. His daughter was fairly newly married at the time she left this earth. I remember my Uncle Mark blogging about this man and the sudden, untimely loss of his daughter. I remember thinking, "oh man, that would be horrible." I remember praying for him, his family, and her husband. This man is a brother of mine, now.
He told me that he knew his girl knew mine now. I know he is right. It's actually really comforting to me to think about how many awesome people Ava has with her that care for her and love her. Rachel is someone that I can't wait to meet someday. I picture her and Ava hanging out and Rachel watching out for her...you know, showing her the ropes :)
While the pain is real, so is the joy. I am happy that the only hell Ava will know was for 5 years and it really wasn't all that bad for her. She had a family that loved her and cared for her and she never had to know lonely. It truly is a gift that she got there quicker than the rest of us. I love knowing that she is with friends. I just look forward to the day I can be there too.
I'll sleep tonight feeling good about it all. Such is the daily up and down, but we are hanging in there...
Thanks Gene, I needed that today.
Josh, I prayed God would give you comfort and He did! Our God is so AWSOME! Thank you Lord Jesus for hearing and answering my prayer! I pray you keep hangin in!
ReplyDeleteCindy Miller
God bless you Josh, and also your new friend, Gene. God always puts exactly the right person in your path at exactly the right time. I'm so glad you can get comfort from someone who truly understands your pain from first hand experience of losing a daughter. May God give both of you and your families peace tonight and forever.
ReplyDeleteLove hearing about the day to day ways that the Lord on High is expressing HIS infinite love for you,Lisa, and Noah. This is proof that the Lord does in fact comfort those who mourn; through people and other stories of loss of their loved ones. It does not make the mourning go away, but it does make us more aware of the place HE has prepared for us, and the reunion we will have some day. None of us know when we will be reunited with our loved ones. While we are here, God makes sure we have glimpses though. I saw a security guard the other day, that reminded me of my grandfather. I chuckled, because my grandfather was a surgeon on earth, but in fact, made my salvation "secure" by sharing the love of Jesus with me. I now picture him as a heavenly security guard! I am amazed at the way that comforted me.God knows. He is loving us each step, giving us grace and mercy to make our lives count TODAY. Love to you all, Angela and Drew Jenkins
ReplyDeleteSuch positive thoughts!! Inspiring...
ReplyDeleteAlways praying...always believing...
Yes... i remember his story, his incredible daughter and that date, Dec. 24th. Gene has such a passionate, poignant love for his daughter and for Christ, like you too. Awesome in knowing that Rachel and Ava are there with Him, and that you and yours are steadfast too. Finish the race, my friend. One mo' day, one mo' dollar, one mo' moment closer to heaven. All these gains in reaching the eternal gain of perfect paradise with her. Oh, and one mo' unbelievable jumpshot and one mo' monster hunting season too. As always, much prayers, love and admiration.
ReplyDeleteJESUS, PLEASE GIVE THIS FAMILY 'JOY' TODAY!!! I PRAY THEY WILL LAUGH AS THEY FEEL YOUR HOLY PRESENCE. THANK YOU FOR HEAVEN! THANK YOU FOR YOUR LOVE AND EVEN WHEN WE DON'T UNDERSTAND, THANK YOU THAT WE CAN TRUST YOUR HEART!!!
ReplyDeleteI started attending Northland my Senior year of high school. It changed my life. Your Dad just warms my heart! I moved to Georgia to be with my husband after we got married, and we still make special trips to Florida JUST to visit Northland - sometimes we just need it, crave it!
ReplyDeleteI've never written on this, although I have follwed it every day since Ava's diagnosis. I never knew the right thing to say or how to offer any comfort. What was happening to your family was just puzzling to me.
I have never cried so hard in my life after watching her funeral. I was in a funk for days.
But... I saved it. I know if anything bad happens to me that I don't understand God's will in it, I will watch this. Your family is incredible, I have never admired a group of people more. I still pray for you and picture Ava in heaven - she was beautiful.
I teach school and this little fiesty kindergartener reminds me of her, although I only knew about her personality through pictures and video's you have posted. I bet there was never a dull moment in your house!
Your wife is sensational and Noah is a champ. You have done well and I know God and Ava are smiling down on you!
My husband and I (his name is Josh!) were planning on starting our family this summer. I originally LOVED the name Ava (even before I knew your fam) if we had a little girl because it was a family name. Now, it has a little different meaning. I hope she is just as spunky as your little one was!
Continuing to pray for peace in your heart for both you and your family
God bless!
I am amazed everyday by reading your blog. Thank you for blogging it encourges me. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteStill Praying Always Will. I am sure that Ava must be proud of your whole family!
I continue to pray for all of you as well. The ups and downs must be hard..but I know that when you are down, you know another up is right around the corner because God loves you. Thank you, as always, for continuing to share your days with us. :)+
ReplyDeleteOne of my closest friends lost her 2-week old son last week to a congenital heart defect. (His story is here.)
ReplyDeleteWhen Ewan passed away last week, one thought that heartened me was the thought of Ava being there in heaven with him. Just as you are encouraged by the thought of Rachel showing Ava the ropes and hanging out with her in heaven, I've been cheered by the thought of Ava offering the same to 2-week-old little Ewan. It's kind of amazing, really, how the souls in heaven can encourage one another. My friend Kirsten, Ewan's mama, also helped me see this week that those in heaven can now pray for us and our healing, just as we prayed for them and their healing while they were here. That thought encourages me, too.
My husband Kirk and I attend Northland, and we've been praying and following your story ever since the diagnosis. We continue to pray and read along. God's peace be with you continually, Josh.
Josh, I am so sorry.
ReplyDeleteWe are friends with Lindsay Johnson and she sent me to your page to provide prayers and support.
We are walking the path ahead of you. It's a well-worn path. Not straight and certainly not narrow. I am astonished by the number of parents who are walking ahead, beside, and now behind us on the road. I yearn for the days before I even realized this long, snaking side road existed!
Unfortunately, there aren't any exits for us, are there? We are on this road until it ends in eternity.
Our son has been in Heaven for a little more than a year now. We still miss him just like you miss Ava. It doesn't get better, but you do figure out how to live with the pain -- and you will live again, somehow.
Please contact us through Lindsay if you would like to talk with my husband or me.
You are in our prayers.
Blessings to you all --
Kim Spady
Hinton, Oklahoma
I have no doubt Ava is having a ball in heaven and SHE's showing the new(and maybe even old)angels the ropes! LOL!
ReplyDeleteI know from experience when you are going through a trial that talking with someone that has gone through it is VERY comforting. There's not much else like it! Continued prayers!!!
Great, Josh. Think God is bringing people into your life to help you get through this? Undoubtedly.
ReplyDeleteWe serve a wonderful loving God and I'm so glad you trust Him. He ALWAYS delivers.
Jody