It doesn't bother me. Some people get super freaked out by it, but I think it's kinda fun. Kids dressing up all goofy and people handing out candy is just another excuse for us to take some time from the normally scheduled day and hang out with friends and family. Ghosts, ghouls and goblins are kinda dumb. Why anyone would scare themselves on purpose is beyond me and leaves me questioning the intellect of those who choose to do that...but, the way we do Halloween... I dig it.
We have some friends and some family come over and hang out. I stay at the house with the other dads who don't dress up and hand out candy. Lisa dresses up with the kids and walks them around the neighborhood with all of their little dressed up buddies. Tomorrow will be more of the same.
Ava was some sort of super hero last year. This year she is my hero. I'll hand out candy to the kids that come by and drop an extra few pieces in the bucket for anyone dressed up like a super hero. It's gonna be a tough couple days, but I'm up for it. I miss her, but as one of you told me a while back...each day lived is another day closer to hanging with her again.
That's where I'm living today. Happy Halloween to all of you who I am not offending :)
No offense here. I have never been into watching scary movies or freaking myself out by all the horror of Halloween. I too have often wondered why people would do such things and consider it entertainment. So much of the world celebrates death and darkness. I want to celebrate life and the fact that Jesus died on the cross for us! I must admit that dressing up is fun especially if you are a super hero. I wanted my 4 year old to be Wonder woman or Super girl this year but Tinker Belle won! That's okay, Tink is cool. Just no costumes of ghosts, witches,anything dark or scary for my girl.
ReplyDeleteHave a safe and fun Halloween. By the way, you, Ava, Lisa and Noah are my heroes. You guys are all amazing. My prayers continue for you all. God Bless!
Josh, you and your family are in my prayers daily but I am praying for special blessings during the next few days!
ReplyDeleteYes, Happy Halloween and Reformation Day to your family! (It actually happens on the same day this year)...
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to let you know that my three kiddos are going to be super heroes this year!
*I meant to say that they both fall on a Sunday this year* Oopsie
ReplyDeleteNot offending... I think it's fun to pretend :) and kids dressing up (and even some adults) get SO creative with their outfits.
ReplyDeleteI too will think of Ava as superheros come to my door tonight. I am praying for you to feel God and Ava's presence right beside you as you get through these next few days. Happy Halloween to you and Lisa and Noah too!
ReplyDeleteNo offense taken Josh, although I have never celebrated halloween with my children, some people do, and that's okay. My children are now 18 and almost 21 years old, and they don't feel like they were neglected, so I feel like I did a good job. As for scary movies, well I'm a scary movie buff. I haven't had a chance to get on line for a while, but Lisa I absolutely adore your tattoo. I'm not one to be that brave, but my daughter has 2 of them and well she's a little tougher than me I guess, but I wanted to tell you how nice that was. My sister Jeannie died when she was 15, and that was back in 1971. Just recently my baby sister, who is 47 took one of my sister's pictures and had her tattooed on her shoulder. She calls her "her angel on her shoulder". Tomorrow is Monday, and it's Ava's birthday. Our prayers are with you dail and will certainly be with you tomorrow. It is going to be rough, but be strong and have faith in the Lord that Ava is with Jesus and The Lord Himself is singing Happy Birthday to her, my what a blessing that will be. It makes me think of that song "When We All Get To Heaven". What a joy that is going to be. We love you and pray for Peace as only God can give. Love Scott and Kathy Chall.
ReplyDeleteI'll be praying for you guys. I hope you guys have a fun night!!!! Happy Halloween!
ReplyDeleteHappy Halloween. I always let Perri dress up and have fun. She was not allowed to do anything dark or inappropriate but anything else was ok.
ReplyDeleteI also cannot understand the scare yourself fun. I don't do scary movies or even roller coasters. Being scared is just being scared; not fun.
I hope you all have a good time tonight. Stay as strong and as weak as you need this week. Let Ava be your super hero. Don't try to be one yourself!
Happy Halloween :) We'll be taking the kids trick-or-treating in a little while and will now think of Ava when we see a little girl dressed as a super hero. Boy is she ever a super hero today!
ReplyDeleteI made it to church this morning for the first time since my accident. While I was grateful for Northland's internet worship over the past 6 weeks, I was totally grateful to see your dad in person and hear his message. It was awesome, as usual. When he spoke about sponsoring a child Ava's age, it struck a chord. We already sponsor a 5 year old boy (chosen because we have a 5 year old AND his name happened to be that of my dad!) but this morning I decided I wanted to sponsor a child who is the same age as the baby who we lost before birth. I couldn't wheel myself to your dad fast enough to tell him that but feel free to pass it along :)
We will be praying extra hard for you tomorrow. May God grant you peace that only He is capable of granting!
Always praying...always believing...
Josh, Sorry I Have missed a few blogs here and there but I am going through some tough stuff myself right now! I feel bad as though I'm letting you down and not being the faithful prayer worrier but I am ....Just got alot going on right now. But anyway when I pray I always pray for you and your family. Just wanted you to know....... By the way you haven't offended me, I just got home from taking my grandson trick or treating! Cindy Miller
ReplyDeleteMy dad was a policeman, and growing up I can remember kids walking from way across town to come and show my dad how they had straightened up, show off their kids (making dad feel old), and the like. It was an excuse for them to drop by . . . It left me with a real neat feeling about Halloween. Not just seeing neighbors and friends, but seeing a whole bunch of people I otherwise wouldn't have and hearing their stories of triumph. Sometimes it was big stuff like drugs, or alcoholic parents, but often it was someone who broke curfew a few times, or stole some candy from the grocery store. The way my dad had treated and mentored them had helped mold them into good citizens. I know that Noah will learn so much from stories he will hear from the many touched by Ava for years to come. What a blessing. Mine came from a holiday many frowned upon - but to this day we celebrate and enjoy all who come a knockin'. Hope you all had a great night.
ReplyDeleteI like your take on this :) I dressed my little guy up like a pirate and he had a blast. Ava is my hero this year, too. I'll be praying for you guys tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteHi Josh, Lisa, and Noah,
ReplyDeleteI know tonight must have been tough. We thought about you alot as we took our kids around the nieghborhood. I do hope and pray you were able to have some good laughs through the night. Noah's outfit was awesome! You all are one fun family! And I love that you all get a kick out of dressing up just as much as the kids do. I tend to be like that as well. It's more fun being a kid, so why not try every once in awhile.
We will be praying hard for you tomorrow. I love that someone said it will be Ava's first birthday in Heaven. Although I know that doesn't take the pain away, or the fact that you just plain miss her. We miss her too. We haven't forgotten, and we never will.
Sometimes it doesn't feel like I should even write anything because I'm not walking in your shoes, nor can I even begin to imagine the extent of your pain. So what right do I have to write anything? But something Isaac said months ago has stuck with me and so I share it with others because I think it's good. "Just because you don't know what to say doesn't mean you can't try to say something." And so I try. I try because I care. I try because we are family in the body of Christ. I try because I would want you to try. I try because Christ died.
We love you Hunter's and are praying. Happy Birthday sweet Ava. We celebrate your life always.
Thinking about you all tonight as you prepare for Ava's 6th birthday tomorrow. Praying your day will be full of good memories of your time with her and that your minds will explore the wonders of the birthday party she is having in heaven. I hear the best super hero of all, Jesus, will be there! Happy Birthday Ava!
ReplyDeleteNo offense here. Halloween is a great time to share the love of Christ with others by being kind. We don't do the scary part either but the children love it and we enjoy watching them have fun. Nice to step out of normal.
ReplyDelete