I bought Daffney for Lisa on Easter in 1998. Daffney came from a pomeranian breeder in Cincinnati, OH, where Lisa and I lived at that time. I put her in an Easter basket for Lisa. It was our first Easter as a married couple. Daffney has walked through life with us at every stage of our married life. She has seen the good days, bad days, and recently...the toughest days we faced as a family. She has been one of the few constants in an ever changing 13 years of life together.
In May of this year Daffney got very sick. Her kidneys were shutting down and the vet told us that we were going to need to put her down so that she wouldn't suffer. I brought her home from the vet and told Lisa what we needed to do. She said, "just give me a chance to help her get better...if she doesn't we know what we need to do." I agreed and watched as my wife nursed her back to health.
As you know, the next couple months were more than we were ready for or could have ever prepared to journey. Daffney was healthy through it all. She spent more time with Ava while she was sick than she ever had when Ava was well. She would sleep in her room and lay by her side through her entire walk through GBM. Ava loves that dog.
On Sunday, Daffney went to be with Ava. It was strangely comforting. There were no great tears of sadness from me. I knew that our girl had her dog. It sounds goofy, but it is real. I have the greatest picture of Ava hanging with her friend and loving every minute of it. I have no proof that dogs go to heaven, but I believe she is there. Psalm 36:6 says: "Your righteousness is like the mountains of God; your judgments are like the great deep; man and beast you save, O LORD." I think Daffney is with Ava. I slept better Sunday night than I had in a while.
I know that we have a long line of family in heaven waiting for us that care for Ava and were no doubt waiting with open arms to greet her. But, I never got to know them before Ava left us here on earth. I know Daffney and I know Ava with Daffney. I can picture what that reunion was like. My picture in my head is as sweet as can be.
Sure, I'll miss some things about Daffney, but not near as much as I rejoice in the reunion that took place on Sunday night. It was an incredible night for me.
As silly as it may sound, my girl has her dog and my dog has the one who loved her all the time. I am nothing but grateful. Daffney was a great dog for our family. She knew she needed to be here for Ava. Now, she has completed the journey and will be with her forever.
I don't know that "all dogs go to heaven", but I sure love the picture of Daffney being there.
A cool picture for sure.
very cool, very cool, indeed
ReplyDeleteWow...just wow. You have left me speechless this Wednesday morning with your wisdom, perspective, and ability to see God's blessings amidst tragedy and heartache. What an inspiration you both are. You guys are amazing and are constantly on my heart and in my mind. Praying as always...
ReplyDeleteYour blog is amazing. I read it everymorning.....thank you.
ReplyDeleteThis is beautiful. I agree with the comment above. Your blog is amazing, and so inspirational to so many.
ReplyDeleteI listened to the podcast last night, about little Lincoln on the soccer field. I am encouraged. Thank you for the suggestion. Have a blessed week.
Angela
No doubt it was a beautiful reunion...God's timing is perfect. Always praying for you and your family!
ReplyDeleteYou're Amazing, I love reading your blog what an inspiration. God Bless
ReplyDeleteThis is just beautiful!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteJosh-
ReplyDeleteI'm with ya.............Daffney is with Ava.
I suppose Ava was waiting to greet her and they ran off together. Brings tears to my eyes.
A Dr. friend of mine had passed away. They had an old dog and the dog slept with Mrs. Elliot after Dr. Elliot had passed. Mrs. Elliot had a dream one night that their dog was getting into an old fishing boat with Dr. Elliot and they went drifting off together. When she woke up the next morning the dog had passed away sometime in the night. Yea, I think Daffney is with Ava for sure.
Jody
What a reunion, Ava and Daffney! Hallelujah!
ReplyDeleteamazing...awesome...inspiring. what a great picture!
ReplyDeleteJosh, I'm am smiling through my tears of joy that Daffney is with Ava. I truly believe that our beloved animals join us in Heaven. I have a friend whose mom was dying and was very worried about her aging cat. The cat sat by her side all through her illness and then died a couple of days before her master. I have heard many stories like this, so it just has to be true. Please know that I continue to keep your family in my prayers. Love from a friend from Northland. God bless you all!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful post! I've never read your blog, but this touched me. Thanks for writing this.
ReplyDeleteIncredible Faith. I truly believe your sweet Daffney and your beautiful Ava are together. Happy and playing together!! Continue prayers to you all!!
ReplyDeleteI sit here speechless at the thought of what you just described. I know Ava is well cared for in Heaven, but somehow hearing that Daffney is now there with her just makes me incredibly happy. I can picture your sweet little girl dancing with her doggie. The faith and ability to express that faith that God has given you and your family leaves me nothing short of amazed. I continue to pray for you, Lisa, and Noah as you continue to walk through this time. Thank you for choosing to bless others with your story.
ReplyDeleteI have no doubt that Daffney is with Ava in Heaven. It's just........ right:)
ReplyDeleteI can imagine how much comfort that gave you. Hope your hump day was a good one!
Dogs have been "there" with their unconditional love thru different passages of my being - I have cried buckets of tears on my Golden Retriever's side as I walked thru a divorce and runaway child - in the middle of the night, in the middle of the day - didn't matter - I always thought, if God were here on earth - he would come as my Golden...I am so happy Ava has her Daffney - these creatures are angels in disguise - I wouldn't make apologies for being "silly" nor give a whit, for that matter...and by the way - Jesus rides in on a white steed - so there must be animals in Heaven -
ReplyDeleteWhen I read this, I feel as though Daffney was just "waiting" to make sure that you and the rest of the family would be "okay," and then said, "Ok, now it is time for me to be with Ava." God has perfect timing.
ReplyDeleteI liked Elaine's comment; it is a reminder that God's timing is perfect in what He gives and when He takes. What an amazing loving wonderful place heaven must be!
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine not being overwhelmed with joy and awe when we get there; first, to see the one whose voice we like best in the world, and second, to be surrounded with those we love and who love Jesus.
M.
I'm so glad you shared this story. I respectfully disagree when I hear people say dogs don't go to Heaven. I'd love to know how anyone still here on Earth knows that ;)
ReplyDeleteWhat a vision - Ava and Daffney playing together with Jesus! Love it!
Always praying...always believing...
Josh:
ReplyDeleteI believe Ava has her dog in Heaven and they are enjoying every single second together.
I remember once asking when quite young why people died at all different ages and why God took people to Heaven when I thought they should live down here longer. Babies, toddlers, youth, adults and seniors, it just made me wonder "why" this person over someone else at any age - (other than super elderly people as my childish mind felt they were more ready - I was asking this when a preschooler and recall the conversation as if it were yesterday, yet it was 40 some years ago.)
I was told by a wise family member, my sweet Grandmother, that she felt that God wanted every single age, personality, pet and the like in order to make Heaven truly Heaven for us all. She teased me as only a Grandmother could in her explanation to my little self about how boring it could be if Heaven were only filled with older people and no laughing babies or inquisitive toddlers were there to be loved by older children or taught how to play tag or hide and seek, adults were there to oversee the younger ones, teens helped babysit, and seniors sat and told stories to the little ones and helped rock the littlest ones to sleep.
It sort of made me less afraid as a child to know that God did have a plan to fill Heaven with every sort of representative that we have here on earth but make it that much better in Heaven. It made me less stressed or worried when we lost people and pets along the way. While never wanting to be separated from a loved one, I always felt God needed them for a specific purpose in Heaven beyond my understanding, but with Grandma's helpful description in my preschool days, it made a little more sense.
I had asked for an adult response to my childishly deep question but had no idea I was asking for more than someone could explain to me whether I was an adult or still that little preschooler, but many decades later that answer still makes me feel that my Grandma's response was such an accurate idea of a perfect vision of Heaven. It is filled with all of those wonderful ages, personalities, pets to cuddle and keep people happy so that we can have a wonderful eternity filled with the best that we can imagine and more that we cannot until we are there.
Daffney kept watch over you, Noel and Lisa until it was her turn to play with Ava eternally. She is racing around with dear Ava, filling her in on your lives and making sure Ava has what she needed, her pup in true pup form until they both reconnect with the rest of your earthly family in Heaven. How nice for Ava to have her Heaven enhanced all the more :)
Hope this brings you some peace. We will never feel complete until we are all reconnected in Heaven, of that I am sure. There is sort of a broken link when we are separated, but there is a comfort in knowing our loved ones in Heaven wouldn't choose to come back, they feel perfection as we can only imagine and just are looking forward to our joining them one day and experiencing the majesty as well.
Sleep well and take care.
Just want to say wow enjoyed this post from the previous writer and just how amazing God is! We lost a friend in his 30's from cancer and his black lab died shortly after and felt the same as now that they were reunited how cool! God knows what we need Ava enjoy we love you so much! You are are still showing us how to live better lives in so many ways thank you!
ReplyDeleteLove, Lisa & Jim Hughes & Marissa
I continue to be amazed by your strength and unwavering faith. God is AWESOME. And He is using you to spread some HOPE and to show His POWER. I ADMIRE you, Lisa, and Noah more than you could ever know. I am now following the Matthew's family because of your blog. Thank you for helping to gather more prayer warriors. If you haven't read their first blog from today, you definitely should. :) Thank you for reminding me that God IS in control. It has become part of my nightly routine to check your blog. I will continue to pray for your family!
ReplyDeleteWith love in Christ,
Kristyn
I sincerely believe Daffney is with Ava. If Jesus prepares a perfect place for each of His believers in Heaven ....then if a beloved dog is part of that perfect place....then the dog will be there.
ReplyDelete