Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Build it up.

Ephesians 4:29 - Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

Oooohhhhhh, tough one. Only talk about what is helpful for building others up? I've met very few people in my life who have this "monster of a verse" mastered. I wonder why?

I get to hang around middle school boys on a fairly regular basis. Even the greatest of middle schoolers have trouble finding things they like about...well anything. I regularly hear about how stupid something is, or how goofy that teacher was, or how smelly some dude's feet are. It's how they connect with one another. Unfortunately, many of us have a rough time moving past that phase in our maturation process.

We get stuck in middle school. It's harder to be helpful and build something up than it is to tear it down. However, we are called to something greater. God's plan for our lives did not include showing our disgust for others. He put us here to collectively glorify Him with the complements of our individual gifts. That's hard to do when we are busting on someone because they are annoying, or have a drinking problem, or are overweight, or are promiscuous...or whatever.

The only way to truly live a life that builds others up is to intentionally think about them first. Only then do our own insecurities fade away.

My Checklist for today:


Build people up.

Encourage People.

God will use it to bring others closer because of it.

7 comments:

  1. I love this! How true and what a great message for all to hear. I love the new style of your blog. You will reach so many with this unique forum. Keep it up!

    Always praying...always believing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Love this new format Josh! We are still praying for you guys and think of you often!

    Kiblers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Needed to hear this today. My checklist for the day will be the same as yours. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Through God's grace I pray we can all act justly, love mercy and walk humbly resulting in living a life of surrendering ourselves in order to build His kingdom. Thank you for reminding me to focus on this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josh,
    Your story, your walk, your faith is amazing. I am so amazed by your strength and dedication to God. Thank you for never being afraid to share. I like the new look you have going here. It's bright uplifting and motivating.....but 5:30 in the morning is so early... But I could not be happier about starting my day with someone who challenges me, to dig deeper in my own walk. :-)
    Here's hoping you continue on you goal of 55 percent or greater goal. And as always you and your family are in my thought and prayers.

    K

    ReplyDelete