Friday, December 3, 2010

Discipline

Hebrews 12:11-No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.


It's so darn illusive. I have it locked down and then it shoots right back out. Yes, I got up everyday this week to spend time with God. However, I exercised once, went to bed late every night, and ate like I needed to make sure I was going to get through the winter hibernation. I am ridiculous. Not because of this week that looked like this, but because you could pick virtually any week from my adult life and it would look like this in some way. (great at one thing, train wreck in the others) I guess I just need to be better at multi-tasking.

I know God wants more from me and I owe it to him, so I'll keep trying. On this particular morning I am not discouraged about my lack of progress. I'm just happy to have made any step toward progress. Maybe next week is my week? I do entertain myself with these conversations. I think my "harvest of righteousness and peace" is a ways off :)

Discipline is not a project to be completed. If it were, I would have completed it on time. Instead, it's a long obedience in the same direction.

Well, I am about to go head out to the righteousness and peace farm...

10 comments:

  1. LOVE YOUR HONESTY! THANKS FOR MAKING ME LAUGH AND SMILE. I CAN SOOO RELATE TO EVERYTHING YOU SAID!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh! This made me think of a quote from Screwtape Letters. I hang onto this one a lot ;).

    ...and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

    Thanks for writing! Allie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking my language, I can totally relate.
    And yes, thank you for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once heard a speaker say "Multi-taskers never do ONE thing well". At least you managed to do the most important thing well this week. I'm enjoying this new format. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josh--- stop beating yourself over the head with that spiritual 2 by 4! More than anything, especialy at this point in your life.... let Him love on you... open your heart to receive ---His mercy, the warmth of His love and a fresh revelation of His intense desire to heal you and your family....
    back away from the to do list...
    He's the Quarterback.... keep your eyes on Him and open your arms to receive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You never cease to amaze me. I went to HS with you and I go to your father's church- not as often as I should. I pray for you, lisa and Noah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woodrow Call told Newt that "up north ain't a place, it's a direction". Same with discipline. From the movie Lonesome Dove........we just have to keep heading that way, knowing we aren't supposed to arrive. Thanks for the angle that you look at life from.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it evades the best of us - you are just honest enough to admit it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paul and Shawna SmithDecember 5, 2010 at 6:34 AM

    The biggest thing to make big changes in your life, in addition to loving Jesus and knowing the Jesus loves you is LOVING yourself. From there it is a matter of taking small baby steps the right direction not huge perfectionistic changes that you can never accomplish. I know, I know, I'm often guilty of it, too. In fact I'm kicking myself for not seeing that that was what I've been doing in one area of my life, lately.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've all been there. Love your humor over it. Had a nice morning chuckle out of your candor. I've enjoyed reading the scriptures you've picked out. Still praying daily for your family. Sue Schutz

    ReplyDelete