Romans 5:3-5
3 Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.
This weekend was great...until Saturday night when the fire truck drove by our house. No, there was no fire. It was Santa throwing out candy. This year was different. No one tried to bust out of the house to chase the candy. Lisa and I spent the next hours sitting around crying together. It was like 2x4 in the face.
I am working on getting to the place where I can glory in my sufferings (as Paul wrote in Romans) because of what it will produce, but I ain't there yet. Saturday night didn't feel like a celebration of a journey toward hope as we stopped through perseverance and character. It just felt like crap.
However, I know there is hope. It's what gets us going every single morning. I know God is good. He is so big and so mighty there is nothing that He cannot do. That being the case, our sufferings must be for some purpose if you believe in an all powerful God as I do. I love verses like this because they help me see that at least someone at some point saw a purpose in suffering. It helps me not only as we walk through the days without Ava here, but it helps me as I feel for others who are going through the same...or worse.
It's going to be a good day today. God is still good, all the time. I'm just too small to figure out how sometimes.
I was thinking about sweet Ava this morning. I often look at how strong she was, and her strength inspires me. When I feel like my mountains are just too hard to climb, I think of little Ava Hunter. She continues to inspire me every day, without fail. I am so thankful that God put all of you lovely Hunters in my life.
ReplyDeleteGod bless! Have a beautiful day!
~Angela
Praying for you, Lisa & Noah...
ReplyDeleteYou are 100% correct that God is good all the time! Even when our emotions don't seem to agree. He is firmly carrying the three of you and your extended family through this. What an amazing family you are! Thank you for continuing to share your journey.
Kelly
You know, I just had a necklace made with this verse and the date of my accident. I know my suffering is not the same but I love how that verse speaks to me. I wrote this post about it after your dad preached about "sharing your story":
ReplyDeletehttp://blessedmommyblessedwife.blogspot.com/2010/11/share-your-story.html
Your blog is awesome! Please keep it up!
Always praying...always believing...
For the better part of my life, I've felt like Job. For the better part of my teenage years, I was a "Job's Daughter" ... That's where I draw my strength, my hope, and my faith.
ReplyDeleteAs these terribad days come, and then go, and if you can, think about your blessings... it does not stop the pain, but it helps one move through it.
When my own son died (SIDS) there was tremendous pain and also the horrific guilt... I, too, was told it might help to remember what I'm thankful for.
Many blessings to you... it does get better.
I have been thinking a lot about you and your family lately! I know this has to be a tough time for you and if crying is what you need then cry all you need! Your faith in God is amazing and helps me to be more faithful to God in my life. Hang in there!!
ReplyDeletegod bless
Mandy
Hi Josh. I don't think a day passes when Ava or your family fails to cross my mind. And yet, I've never met any of you. Perhaps it's because your story and unwavering faith have taken hold of my heart. Or maybe it's because your dad and brother have been such an important part of my spiritual growth, so the Hunter family has grown on me too. Maybe it's because I'm an aunt to seven awesome young nieces and nephews, and a teacher to 20 amazing elementary students... so I value the joy of children and wish I could have known Ava. Whatever it is, it's definitely a God thing. No doubt about it. Anyway, I heard a song on Z88 and immediately thought of your family. It made me cry and smile, all at once. It's called "One Last Christmas" by Matthew West. Josh, I'm praying for you. Ava is celebrating this magical season with the King behind ALL of the Christmas songs. You know that.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye39mgcHC3E
Love,
Natalie
Dang, just dang. This post was like a whack this morning too. But I continue to pray, pray for a new peace and joy for you guys this Christmas. My heart and thoughts were consumed with you and yours (...and also the Matthews family) this weekend. It was the usual grudge of digging out the boxed decorations, wrestling knots of lights and fluffing the fake, scratchy xmas tree. The kids were super excited, yet I was lost in thoughts of other priorities and responsibilities. But I began to think of Mary and baby Jesus, the Hunters and sweet Ava, the Matthews and little Ezra. And childish excitement filled and renewed me. And so it was, the ladder zipped across the house to hang the lights thru overgrown bushes and roof climbing too, the train is blinking out front and the tree is up. Our house will shine bright for them and Him in Winter Springs this year. We are hugging our oak trees this year with colorful, purple lights for Ava and blue ones for Ezra. Heck, we may just celebrate on our rooftop as well. Our lights are beaming this year for all, even those in Heaven to see. May God hold you guys tight...we love you.
ReplyDeleteThank you Josh. Keep writing what God puts on your heart. It makes a difference. I know it does for you, but it also did for me just now.
ReplyDeleteBobby
Always praying for you guys, Josh. Glad to see you on Sunday...
ReplyDeleteOh Josh. I know it is so hard. :( Your brother shared it best, "Blessed are they that mourn for they shall be comforted."
ReplyDeletePraying for all the fire truck moments Josh and Lisa!! Praying for the times you will see the hope renewed too. Love to you both! Carey
ReplyDeleteThank you for continuing to share your journey. I started following your blog months ago.
ReplyDeleteThe emotions of grief... I remember them well. It's much different when you lose a child. I don't know this grief. But I do know that when in grief it can sneak up on the best of moods and can reduce you to a heap on a floor filled with wet kleenex. I used to turn the water on so there would be no sound.
I don't know if this book can help, but it helped me understand the face of grief more than anything.
C.S. Lewis "A Grief Observed." I noticed a Facebook friend of mine had "Liked" this organization:
http://www.compassionatefriends.org/home.aspx
Forgive me if I have offered help that has offended in any way, as I don't know you.
We did go to Northland for years. (I currently watch sermons online)
I just know grief feels so bad... and I always recommend this C.S. Lewis.
I heard Pastor Joel mention last week in his sermon that their Christmas tree lights are purple. How cool is that? I'm sure you already know this:
Historically, the primary sanctuary color of Advent is Purple. This is the color of penitence and fasting as well as the color of royalty to welcome the Advent of the King!!!!! Purple rocks.
God bless you,
Patty Stewart