Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Serve

Joshua 24:15
choose for yourselves today whom you will serve: whether the gods which your fathers served which were beyond the River, or (A)the gods of the Amorites in whose land you are living; as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."


I can't control everything, but I can control the tone of our home. I set it. It can be a peaceful one or a loud one, a loving one or a cold one, a Godly one or a not Godly one. Now, truth be told it's probably always somewhere sliding on that scale depending on the day. But, I know that the responsibility for my home rests with me.

There are days I don't want that responsibility. However, it doesn't matter. It's still mine. Much in the same way that there are days it would be easier to be single than married, or childless than having kids, or parentless than having parents...you are where God put you for a reason.

So, really you and I have two choices. We can decide with each action that we are going to serve the "gods which were beyond the river" (which just sounds like a scary movie to me) or the Lord. When it's laid out this way, it seems the choice is easy...when it's a matter of watching a football game instead of listening to your wife's story about her friend at work (this is made up...Lisa doesn't work outside the home...I'm not that stupid. ha!) well, the decision to serve the Lord in your home gets a little tougher, or should I say a bit fuzzier. Should you honor her by listening or honor Peyton Manning because you know he put a lot of hours in this week to prepare for the Bears? I think you know. Unfortunately, I do too.

It's not all clear cut, but my effort will continue to be there. As long as I am here, me and my house will serve the Lord. It's the only good option.

6 comments:

  1. Love this post! What a great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still praying for you guys, Josh. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good words mr josh hunter. I like them. I pretty much like any word you put on here. Thanks for them. You honor Christ well. Praying for you all everyday.
    Carey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Josh- Like your new format. I can't read it before work because of the time crunch, but I do read it in the evening. I try very hard to read the Northland Scripture each a.m.
    You have a gift. Whether you want to or not, God has chosen you to be a vessel. Through your experience, you share what many of us are going through ourselves. For me. it's dealing with parents who are having problems, where decisions have to be made. I also have a husband with a disability, so at times life can be hard. But God is faithful and He is somehow brings us through it.
    By sharing your reality, it encourages me. Some days are easier than others, just like you express. We are all works in progress, so don't beat yourself up, if some days you disappoint yourself.
    Your Dad & brother may have been trained in ministry & they do an awesome job, but your honesty & this devotional type blog is its own ministry. So keep doing God's work . You are being obedient to His will- whether you realize it or not.
    Still praying for you. God bless you & keep you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read your blog daily and am really encouraged by your authenticity and fight to continue to lean into God as you and your family walk through a very raw and painful time.

    ReplyDelete