Thursday, August 6, 2009

When Satan Shows up as a Hogie


So yesterday morning I read all about making wise decisions. It was part of my morning devotional time and really helped guide my thoughts and actions all day. That is until 9pm when I was really hungry. I decided after much debate with myself that it was best to go to the store and buy a sub as big as my dog and eat the whole thing...and wouldn't you know it, if you buy the sub you get chips for free. Who is gonna turn that deal down, right? Evidently, not me.

Morning Josh hates night Josh. I didn't need that sub. I wanted that sub. I don't even care that I ate the sub, I care that I gave into my body's want rather than what I know was good for it.

It was the perfect way to end what had actually been a very productive day. Don't want to actually do everything right in a day, huh Josh? Nope, gotta make sure I do something stupid.

Ok, I am done verbally punching myself in the face. I messed up. I can only fix it from here since I can't undo it. Hopefully today when I get to the proverbial fork in the road I will be strong enough to decide what is beneficial rather than what is permissible. It's certainly going to be a part of my time spent in prayer today.

Another day ahead...need to make wise choices. Looks like man has wrestled this beast for a long time. The beast is satan, he just plays a Hogie sometimes.

Romans 7:19 For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.



2 comments:

  1. This is both hilarious and wise. I can't tell you how many times I too have fallen to the late night "satan hogie"... I know your main intention for blogging is not to inspire others but boy does it help me. Keep it up-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a few random thoughts. Yes, if you get the hoagie you have to get the soda that goes with it. THis is why I have to stay away from fast-food. A combo meal is much cheaper so then you end up with fries and soda you don't really need.

    As I read your blog, it reminds me a lot of what I have wrfitten since 2007 in my blog. However, because you are man, you can write about giving into to food cravings, or not, and trying to be disciplined with diet and exercise and the guilt you feel when you don't. But if I write about any of those things, because I am a woman. I am considered obsessive, too concerned with my outward appearance, bulemic or selfish because my hubby watches the kids so I can do long runs. But when a man has the same desires and struggles he is considered motivating and transparent (which you are). Just thought I would note the differences. The main reason I shut my blog from the public was because I would write blogs like this and I had a woman totally chew me out and call me anorexic, blah, blah, blah. So I TOTALLY appreciate how you are wired.

    ReplyDelete