Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Routine

...and she can beat me in basketball.

My morning routine is regular and dependable. I get up 5, make coffee, blog, read scripture, pray, then work on Hunter Vision items. Kids get up at 6:30 to get ready for school. I make breakfast, shower, then go.

I have always been a creature of morning habit...Since the days I got up 30 minutes early to be at my post in high school before anyone else got there...boy did that drive Isaac nuts. He couldn't believe we had to be at school 30 minutes early. I couldn't believe he would want to risk getting caught in traffic or possibly not being able to deal with a flat tire should we get one on the way to school. Tardyness was the enemy and I was determined to beat the evil of lateness.

While this little quality has served me well over the years, it has also bit me in the rear. Take this morning for example. I get up to find that our dog (who is really old) has delivered a number 1 and 2 on the floor as I slept. Somehow Lisa found it before I got to it. Well, then we start talking and cleaning up poop, then we're talkin' about other stuff and before I know it I am out of my routine. It made me so uncomfortable and frustrated that I just said, "I can't do this right now, Lisa."...to which she replied..."ok honey, I know". She knows me. She knows me better than I do. She knew I couldn't deal well with the routine being wrecked and she did what she could to preserve it. She is amazing.

So, I need to continue to try to learn to be less bothered by something wrecking my flow. However, I can't believe what a blessing it is to have a wife who tries to preserve it. So, here I am...only mildly diverted instead of train wrecked and frustrated for the day.

God is good. He gave me a wife who loves me enough to try to preserve the routine. Maybe I will figure out how to help her better...as usual, she has figured it out first. Hopefully, I won't get dunked on in the process...

***Proverbs 31:29 "Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."***

1 comment:

  1. I should have been stronger in my opposition to your ocd... it would have made your life easier. Good thing you rubbed off on me some over the years, otherwise I would be the cookie monster of ministers.

    ReplyDelete