Dr. Joel preps as Isaac makes fun of his dress shoes with Carhartt jeans
Ever wonder what you take in the woods to deer hunt?
I take a backpack full of:
1 Rain Suit (incase the skies get angry)
1 knife for field dressing
2 flashlights (for getting to and from the hunting area in the dark)
1 set of rattling antlers (to pretend bucks are fighting so other deer will come check it out)
1 grunt tube (to pretend I am a buck so other bucks will come try to fight me)
1 doe in estrus can call (to pretend there is a doe ready to be bred...this actually works)
1 set of binoculars
1 rangefinder (to determine how far away the deer is because distance is everything in archery)
1 windchecker (a no scent powder to determine wind direction)
1 pencil for filling out tags
1 set of tags and hunting license
1 rope for lowering and raising my bow into the tree stand
1 camera
1 cell phone for texting my info when the big boy hits the dirt
Whatever food needed for the day
And finally...a bow and at least 3 arrows.
Now, combine that with all the stuff to prep your clothes and yourself, and you have a fairly complex task just to go sit in the tree for a few hours. The time and attention to every detail is actually quite amazing and part of what really makes it all fun.
Yes, I know I am ridiculous...but, it's almost time. Here we go....
I am very excited. I am having a difficult time preparing to preach this Sunday. I may just get up and read our combined hunt-prep lists and then offer a benediction-- or bring in a mime and a chalk artist... those guys are hilarious and talented, respectively.
ReplyDelete