Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Reading makes me think

I got the protection part down. I watch her even when she doesn't know it...

I don't read a lot. I take that back. I don't read a lot of fiction. I read a lot.

Our small group is reading through a book called "Strong Father, Strong Daughter." The book is written to fathers about the impact they will have on the development of their daughters. It is quite fascinating. I don't want to believe what this lady is saying, but I know it's true. I see it everywhere around me. Women who did not have loving, strong, fathers struggle with things that others who did, don't. The book talks about how a father will teach his daughter about God, love, sex, confidence, security and a host of other things, just by the way he builds into her life without ever saying a word.

Needless to say, (but, I will anyway) It made me very much consider who I am for Ava. I know she needs a present father who can point her back to Christ. A father who will protect her, set boundaries for her, and listen to her like she is the only one in the room when she talks. I am not good at the last one yet. I am purposing to engage more with her in the days ahead. I want her to know that she matters. I want to do all I can to help her not have to "overcome" when she is an adult. I know I can't control that part, but I can control me. I can put forth the energy to not look at my cell phone when it buzzes at 7:30pm and she is in the middle of a story.

I am going to. It's worth it.

Well, she just got up...gonna go spend some time with her.

2 comments:

  1. This is good stuff. Really good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh, I love hearing your thoughts on these kind of issues! Ava is so blessed to have you as her daddy. Not sure if you do this with Ava already, but my dad used to take me out for "My Special Day". We would go to Eddies Steak Shed for breakfast, just the two of us and he would just let me talk to him for an hour. It was awesome. It marked me. It was indeed "my special day".
    Love you cousin. Love your heart for Ava.

    ReplyDelete