
Well after 2 rounds of edits and tweaks and likely one more to go, there is a 90% chance that this will be our mark. I am learning all about primary mark, secondary mark, complimentary mark...etc. I say 90% because we are still entertaining another idea. However, this one has the momentum right now. The color palette would be blues, browns, and greens (eye colors). I thought that was pretty cool. I would have never thought of that. The guys who put together our stuff have really done some great creative work for us. We are pleased with the product and all of the ideas they have for it. However, we are checking a few last things before we go completely thumbs up on this one. Which is why I am posting it today... I want to know what you think about it...especially if you hate it! I can deal with love it or don't feel one way or another...but if you hate it, I would like to know why. This is our mark for the next hundred years (ahhhhh) so it has to be good and it has to be timeless (by the way, I realize we could change it later if we wanted to, but I know me and know I would never get to something that is already done when there are other things that are not done).
Well, what do you think? Also, this may give me a chance to see who actually reads this little piece of literature I write each day!
Great post Josh. Just as "Good copy is never written; it's always re-written," so I'm convinced good branding is the result of consultation, testing and open-sourced review. I love that you've got this up for others to see. You've got to get Amber to look at it. (I'll let her know it's up on your blog now.) She has a great background in marketing and advertising so she "gets it." I can't wait to let her know so she can give you her thoughts.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I like it.
:-)
Josh:
ReplyDeleteI am not sure what I am looking at. Is each square a different alternative. Or is your mark all 3 boxes and the simply Hunter Vision words at the right?
I will assume that all 3 boxes and the words is not the mark. Because if it is, then I would have to be in the hate it camp.
I really like the middle one. It is very eye chart ish in the simple white background.
As you know I have been doing some of this type of stuff for my bundle software. Best advise I got was keep is simple and them make it simpler. Remember, this will be on hats, uniforms, business cards, everything. Easy to remember...Easy to put on a golf ball...Easy...
If the 3 boxes are all alternatives that you may use at different times, I like them all but the third from the left. You lose the eye chart effect with vision outside the box.
Finally, I know nothing about this. So I differ to Amber. I just want it to look good on the golf balls you will be giving me some day.
Uncle Matt
I'm fairly confident that these marks are all part of the same branding. To my understanding, you would never see all of them together on one thing. They are a little bit different but keep the same look with the hope that no matter which one is used it will make you think "HunterVision" before you ever even read it, whether that be on a hat or a golf ball or a flats boat.
ReplyDeleteAll that to say, I think it's an excellent start. I personally like the last two the best. Classic design with a clever twist that captures the essence of everyone's universal go-to image for the eye doctor. Yet, it has a prestige and professional tone to it.
So far so good.
Josh, I really like the branding. I think it's a really great concept and cool idea. Knowing that you'd never put them all on a sign together and they are all sub logos, I think it's great. One thing that always sticks in the back of my mind with logos is that 1) it represents the product at the core and 2) will look just as great in black and white as it does in color. I think that this branding accomplishes that. I know that by seeing that logo that Hunter Vision is an eye place and not a place that sells scopes or binoculars for your weekend hunters excursion.
ReplyDeletePlus, it's a timeless idea. It's not a funky sketched eyeball that you have to re-brand in 10 years. They've been using that eye chart for what I would imagine is a pretty long time now. I think it's great.
Hi Josh!
ReplyDeleteI think your new Hunter Vision mark looks really great! I love the eye chart idea - like Katie said, it's timeless. I especially think it's important that your brand (website, logo, etc.) accurately reflect what your customers can expect from your company when they walk through the front door.
It's clean and simple, not cluttered (that's how your office will be too)
It seems well thought-out, planned, professional
I think it's awesome and that it will work hard for you for a looong time!
I'm excited to see more branding stuff when you guys get your website up!
Love you so much! See you in Feb!
Amber