Monday, January 3, 2011

Onward.

Philippians 3:14
I press on toward the goal unto the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.


It's a new year. I spent much of the last 6 months floundering about with not much purpose behind life's daily tasks. While I am not ashamed that I lived that way, I know that I am called to something better for the long haul. 2011 begins that for me.

My plan? I am going to become a robot. Actually, I won't. But it would be nice to be number 5 (a reference to the 80's movie, "Short Circuit") sometimes. I think it would be great to never be swayed by the "I just don't feel like it" part of life. It would be awesome to just have a "do" or "don't do" mode. Then, things like getting up early, eating right, exercising, and other things you just should do could be programmed in and they would not require my conscious effort to achieve.

For some reason, God set it up different than that. Yeah, I know why... I know that if we have no choice the relationship doesn't mean as much. But, for real...can I just have robot mode that I can switch in and out of?

The new year is a call to be better. It's a reset button that I needed. It's a chance to make a mark on the world with renewed vigor and pursue the calling of God. My little girl did it in 2010 and I'm going to carry on for her and the rest of my family in 2011. 2011 is the year of productivity for me. I want to be productive in my relationships and my work. A year of productivity will honor Ava's life well.

I'm on it. I'm focused. It's time. Let's do this. 1 day at a time.

8 comments:

  1. I'm in too and I'm your biggest fan! Choosing to live this way will not honor our baby girl and carry out her example, but for our little man too!
    We've got this!! I love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who's Johnny? She said, and smiled in a special way... El Debarge.

    I respect you deeply brother. Here's to day ones, Jesus, and Ava.

    Beautiful Stephanie and Allen Iverson lead balloons.

    IJH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Floundering about? Not hardly. You, Lisa, Noah, and Ava were all fulfilling God’s plan in ways that none of us really understood but we all ultimately accepted because He is in control, not us. Actually you have a choice and it’s not to be a robot or not but to live out the life than God has laid before you. So far you and Lisa have done it all so much better than any of us ever could have despite the emptiness that no doubt lives within you every day.

    Psalm 30:11 should be considered as your verse of the year. “You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; You have loosed my sackcloth and girded me with gladness, That my soul may sing praise to You and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks to You forever.” God asks us all is to be the person’s whom we are and through living with Him vicariously bringing others to Him. You have done well and shared so much. It is a new year and a new time, a time to remember and never ever forget, but a time to move forward as well. We’re all with you on this crazy journey called life…even though Pops says he doesn’t do crazy any more. Good luck with that (laugh).

    Lastly somehow I can’t see the Daily Philosopher becoming Number 5’s Robotic Ramblings. Keep it as it is please - and Lisa- good to hear from you again. Onward and upward .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think both of you are just beyond fantastic, what you both are showing Noah is just what God has programed you to do. I feel so honored to know you both and be a part of this journey with you. Yall both make Greiving a little easier. It is not easy at all to burry your children and move on in life and watch everyone around you move on with life like nothing has happened, mean while when your life has come to a halt in some ways. I am learning so much from the both of you , things that I myself thought no one would understand after loosing someone you love so much, but yall both have done it with such class and honor for Ava..even Noah and his song for Ava, that had to come from your robotic teachings. Keep these word's coming Josh you have helped my heart & soul so much and helped me be free of guilt from how people treated me after losing 2 of my children, so many people expect you to act a certin way , but, I love seeing you and Lisa and Noah laughing ,singing, hunting, dancing , traveling , and just blowing with the wind, very well done and great examples to live by...Terri Goulette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Josh,
    Blessings to you and your family as the new year begins. You are so insightful and have a wonderful way with words. God has given you this gift, as he has given to your dad. The things you say really make me think and also help me to feel like I am ok even when I struggle with wanting to do all the right things. Many will walk along with you on this journey of 2011. May God keep you and yours safe and fulfilled this year. With love from a Northlander.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Couldn't be more inspired Josh! But remember, Number 5 became human -- with all the foibles that entails -- and knew it was better.

    All the best,
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey!

    I love this blog post! Praying that you, Lisa, and Noah have a great 2011!!!! Loved it when Isaac mention you guys in his sermon yesterday! I hope you guys had a wonderful Christmas. Praying!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You inspire me Josh Hunter!!! Blessings to you and your sweet family.
    Gail

    ReplyDelete