Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Uncertainty

Psalm 55:22
Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken.


I don't know what tomorrow holds. Not the day after today, but the figurative tomorrow. Since Ava died, I spend a good amount of time wondering about it. I wonder when I'll get to see her, who will get to see her first, and what bit of stuff God has for me to do between now and that time. To say I am uncertain about the future and God's ultimate plan for my days here would be like saying I am slightly below average height.

I am working on continuing to cast my cares on the Lord. Some days I do that pretty well. Other days I think I cast them kinda like my brother Isaac used to cast when we would fish together at the lake. (I spent more time getting the bird nest out of his reel than I would fishing.)*

I am going to work on doing this better. Everyone that I come in contact with down here on this earth deserves it from me. God's got me here for today and I know it's what he wants from me. I want to be part of the righteous who are never shaken. If righteousness is "fulfilling the demands of a relationship", which I learned at a very young age during bible story time with mom, then I want to hold up my end. I know He always holds up His end.

Today, I'm going to see if I can cast where I am aiming. It'll for sure help in the year of productivity.

*It should be noted that Isaac is now an excellent fisherman.

3 comments:

  1. Josh - thanks for posting this today. I needed it and your pursuit of it inspires me to want to do the same.
    "The righteous who are never shaken" is a lofty, but important goal (I guess I want to be stirred, but never shaken).
    I was reading Malcolm (a contemporary of Havel) Muggeridge yesterday and ran across this statement: that seemed relevant to your conclusion of God holding up his part of the deal:

     It is precisely when every earthly hope has been explored
    and found wanting, when every possibility of help from earthly
    sources has been sought and is not forthcoming, when every
    recourse this world offers, moral as well as material, has been
    drawn on and explored with no effect, when in the shivering
    cold every stick of wood has been thrown on the fire and in the
    gathering darkness every glimmer of light has finally flickered
    out--it's then that Christ's hand reaches out, sure and firm.
    Then Christ's words bring their inexpressible comfort, then his
    light shines brightest, abolishing the darkness for ever.
       ... Malcolm Muggeridge (1903-1990), The End of Christendom,
             W. B. Eerdmans, 1980, p. 56

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for blogging your thoughts. It helps me think. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting the Muggeridge quote, VRain! I hope that others who see it take it to heart as they walk through life's trials.

    Josh, thank you again today for sharing your thoughts. I pray that 2010 will be a season of change for me and that I can rely on God's grace and promise for me EVERY day. You express what I feel in my heart so often--- usually far more eloquently than I, as well. Love and prayers sent up for you and your family as always!

    ReplyDelete