Monday, February 22, 2010

Hickory High

(L to R)Back Row: Shooter, Coach Norman Dale
Middle Row: Ollie, Buddy, Everett, Rade
Front Row: Merle, Jimmy Chitwood, Strap

It was what my dad used to call "a character building season."

I never liked hearing pop say that. I knew that was french for "it's going to be hard and you are going to hate it." I was right. It was always hard and I always hated it if he called anything character building. Now, I am the one announcing the character building power of living through sucky things.

Noah made it. It was character building. Everyone has to learn how to lose and not give up midway through, how to be on a team that is bad and not get mad at those around you who don't help well, how to encourage someone else even when you are not feeling good yourself.

That was this season. I am glad he went through it. It will help make him the young man he ultimately wants to be. That's how you win.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post Josh.
    As I recall, I had one season that wasn't a "character building season" back in 1969. Though only one season, it was a very good season and helped me juxtapose "character building" with "uncharacteristic." ("Uncharacteristic" because almost all of my life "seasons" have been "character building," and that's turned out to be more than acceptable to me.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow good post Josh. Really, really dig the Hoosiers reference.

    ReplyDelete