
Isaac, Mom, Dr. Joel, and me (Oct. 2008)
This morning I was thinking about something my mother told me many times through the years. It has helped me on more than one occasion, likely more than a million occasions. This pearl of wisdom often came in response to my disdain for homework or not wanting to go to some sports practice that day. She always said "Just do it and you will feel like it once you get there." It was part of the reason that no matter how sick we (Isaac, Joel and I) felt when getting up for school, we had to take a shower and get dressed before we declared ourselves feeling too horrible to go to class. She knew once we got out of bed and ready to walk out of the door, we would feel more like making the day worth something. Later in life, it translated to my marriage, my family, my workouts and my job.
There are many days that I "don't feel like it". If I didn't do what I needed to every time that feeling cropped up, we would be homeless. I don't often "feel like" working rather than playing or going out of my way to help someone else. I really wish I did. I wish I was just a naturally selfless production machine and only wanted to help others all the time. The truth is...I don't.
It's a good reminder to me to post this today...because I feel like going hunting...but I need to go to work:) I know by now that I will be glad I did once I get there.
So next time you know the right thing to do, but feel like doing something else...think about what Becky Hunter said. It'll change your life.
No comments:
Post a Comment