Monday, July 27, 2009

Marriage Monday


For the benefit of those who follow in our footsteps:

This morning I keep thinking about the marriages I know of that are falling apart. I spend lots of time each week talking and praying with guys whose marriages are on the rocks. Most of the time it is their fault. For whatever reason we are living in a predominantly weenie generation of guys. They won't take the lead and wonder why their wives have no respect for them.

I am continually frustrated by guys who quit. No one is perfect and everyone messes up from time to time...but for crying out loud, your wife is worth fighting for even if you haven't fought for anything else in your entire life. I don't know one single person who is "happier" because they are divorced. I know several who claim to be, but you can look at their life and see very quickly that they are not "happy" to be divorced. At most, they have made the best of a terribly unfortunate situation. No one wants that...it's not the goal of marriage.

So, this morning I am thinking about this as I am praying for these guys... I want them to stay put, figure out how to love their wife starting today, hang in there even when it's hard, just get up and do the next right thing even though she hates you right now... eventually it will all turn around or she will run away because she won't allow herself to be loved (which you can't do anything about). Once it gets there it is completely in God's hands. You just do your part 100% everyday and watch what God does. He blesses it every single time. I have seen it too much to not talk about it.

Fight hard for your marriage. Tell your wife you are going nowhere and you will dig in and do whatever it takes to turn your marriage in a Godly direction. It will bless the generations to come. The worst thing that could happen is it goes where it is already headed right now...the best thing is God can redeem even the most broken. He redeemed you and me.

The road is long and it ain't easy. It may take years, but it is worth it. Take it from someone who has walked it and was fortunate enough to have someone tell me these things... I am glad to have listened. My kids are glad I listened too...and they don't even know it.

Today's Recap:

Stop being a weenie. Your wife and kids need you to serve them well. Teach your boys how to love their wife...teach your girls how to be treated and how to respect their husbands.


No comments:

Post a Comment