Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Gun Range


I hung out with my people last night. I went to the shooting range with our security guys from Summit. It is a great time to hang out and bond for the team that does the thankless job on Sundays. These guys are there every weekend and no one even knows it. They don't wear badges, not even a nametag...they just make sure that the kids are safe. That is the number one priority.

It's always fun to go to the range with them. Some of them love guns and have forgotten more about guns than I will ever know. Some of them have never shot a gun before. No matter what they all have fun. The range is full of all kinds of people...little ladies, huge men, and many skinny guys with huge belt buckles. It's fun there. The guy at the counter started telling me about some cigar bar he goes when his wife bugs him. He doesn't know it, but he is coming to church with me in the next year or two. I am going to be praying for him.

It's fun to shoot guns, no doubt there...but it is even more fun to be in an environment where God wants you to be. I speak that language. Not gun language, but blue collar man language. I can empathize with the guy who wants to get away from his wife to go to the cigar bar. But, I know God has so much better planned for him. It will likely take me a while, but I need to tell him. I don't care if he goes to a cigar bar...I care that he does it to get away from his wife.

God wants all of us to invest in our family. It's not always easy and a cigar bar with the buddies always is. Nothing worth doing has ever been easy. Having a family that is whole is worth putting in the effort. Our actions today carry over for generations. This guy will hopefully bless his grandchildren in 30 years and he hasn't even thought about it.

Like I said. The gun range is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment