Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Old.



This picture was taken on my Uncle's farm. I could tell you that it was taken by my great grandfather in 1930 or I could tell you I took it last week. The more likely scenario seems like 1930 except the picture quality is too good. It's not grainy and old looking. That's because I did take it last week.

My Uncle Jan has a fascination with "old". It isn't that he is trying to save money by buying things that are used. He will actually buy new things and then pay someone to may them look old. I never understood this...until a couple years ago. This year's trip further cemented for me why he does this...and why I will too.

We took a visit to his new office midway through the hunting week. We walked into brand new construction of a brand new "old" office space. There was old stuff lining the walls in his office. But, not just old stuff for old stuff sake. This was old stuff that connected him to his heritage. He had actual items from past relatives in shadow boxes on the wall. Each one contained a story that was engraved in the box with the item. Each item had historical family significance.

The tracing of family lineage helps us know why we are who we are. I get that more every time I visit. Uncle Jan values history and has taught us to. It is strangely comforting to drive a truck from 1928 on a one lane road through the woods and know your grandparents and great grandparents could have done exactly the same thing when they were young. My brothers and I get to do that when we are there.

So...I will make a goal... My goal is to have traced my family history well enough to show my kids, neices, and nephews, and grandkids where they came from.

I need to get started on my "old" collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment