Ava had a good night last night. They are working on getting her ICP (internal cranial pressure) down so that they can take the drain tube out of her head, but that is a slow process. In the mean time, she was joking with us and while kinda slurry and groggy, was having a good time without much pain. She is a fighter. I am so grateful God made her that way. It will serve her well in the months ahead. She will continue to get better and have less pain over the next few days.
We are on a two track plan right now...
Track 1: Get her well from surgery. Get her body responding and doing the physical and occupational therapy necessary for her to regain all of her function. We are currently on the tail end of the window that is "critical" to watch for bleeding and major swelling. Praise God for no major complications so far. Each minute further away from the surgery is another minute we are less likely to have those life threatening issues arise. He is good and has blessed us incredibly with a world wide prayer network and docs and nurses at one of the top pediatric hospitals in the world. Track one is moving along well and we may actually be out of ICU after tomorrow if all continues to go as expected. The docs are mostly pleased with her surgery progress.
Track 2: Fight cancer. Later this week she will have a spinal tap to find out if the cancer cells went anywhere into her spinal column. If that is clean (which is a huge prayer request) then the road ahead is a bit better. None of it will be fun, but the less cancer we have to fight, the better it is for the little warrior. We'll know a lot more about this stuff in the coming weeks.
On a personal note, I am ok. Lisa is ok, too. We have moments of great confidence and moments of great despair and unbridled emotional pain. We love our little girl. It is weird to be assigned to protect someone who is being attacked by their own self. I will learn how, but I'm not all that confident in those skills yet. It already feels like we have moved into the hospital and the care staff is quickly becoming like family to us. The ICU nurses have been absolutely amazing with us and Ava. They care for her as if she were their own. It's incredible to watch. I admire them.
Many of you have thanked me for being public about this battle. To that, I say, "Thank you". I am talking and writing about this because I know it lets you know how to pray. Knowing that literally thousands around the world are praying gives Lisa and I great peace. We know God has her and she is His. I write also because it helps me. It helps me to put down on paper what usually will only come out in tears. It makes it productive for me and not just a way to kill time by babbling about it to a single person. I will keep updating.
Thank you all for being a part of Ava's healing and our strength. We are at peace knowing God will be glorified by this, but seeing the pain of the hour sometimes clouds that lofty thought. Ava needs you to keep praying. So does Lisa. And for sure, so do I.
Josh -Thank you for taking the time to update us on how you and Lisa are doing... and of course, how Ava is doing. You are all precious to us! We are continually praying.
ReplyDeleteLove you cousin!
Amber
I am so thankful that you use the outlet of writing (beautifully) to keep everyone updated so we can pray specifically for Ava and for you, Lisa, and family. Praying and Praying and keeping you all close in thought.
ReplyDeleteI will continue to pray for your precious little girl. I attend Northland Church and heard about this blog from friends of mine. The Lord is always with you. I can't imagine the feelings you are going through. My heart pours out to Ava and your whole family. God Bless you all. May the peace and love of the Lord be with you always!
ReplyDeletePraying for your little warrior. Thank you for telling us specifically what to pray for. We know that this is a journey that you would rather not be traveling on, but so thankful that prayers are storming the gates of Heaven.
ReplyDeletePraying that God will lay His healing hands on Ava and that one day she will be able to tell her story.
My family is praying for your sweet baby and your entire family. You are lifted up in prayer and I pray God's arms are wrapped tightly around you all right now. A friend replied on my facebook something after I posted a prayer request for Ava..thought I would pass along: "I know for a fact that Mass. General Hosp. can work miracles with a proton beam treatment for malignant brain tumors on children. I hope that someone close to the family can do serious research on this topic quickly for them. And lots of prayers will help too. "
ReplyDeleteBeautifully written, so intense and personal. Thank you for sharing. I care about what happens to your sweet little daughter and your wonderful family. Keep writing. It will help you and so many other hurting people.
ReplyDeleteFrom another writer,
Susan Chesser Branch
May you continue to be lifted up. You are both so strong and yet I cannot imagine the grief at the same time. Parying hard. The Johnoson's
ReplyDeleteWow, I am just in awe with the strength and grace that you are choosing to face this unexpected enemy. God is going to bless your family's choice to trust Him. We continue to pray for Ava, what a brave,incredible girl. And thank you for sharing the journey y'all are on, prayers are going on in a never ceasing way right now. We love all of you and we love Ava. I am sitting at my desk at work fighting tears and praying for your family. Absolutely amazed.
ReplyDeleteI love this quote, “The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet not withstanding, go out to meet it.”- Thucydides
ReplyDeleteYou are right that God created Ava a brave fighter-- It helps that God created her parents the same way! She has had amazing, tangible examples of what that looks like. Josh and Lisa, she is blessed to have you as parents.
"Out of the mouth of babes and infants, you have established strength because of your foes, to still the enemy and the avenger."
(Psalms 8:2 ESV)
"But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
(2 Corinthians 12:9)
Love you guys!
Brad and Amy Geary
Josh, like everyone else, I thank you for letting us know what is happening and how we can pray for Ava and the entire family. And know that, despite how you might feel personally, God has placed you where you are, with all your gifts and strengths, "for such a time as this".
ReplyDeletePraying for you all,
Dale Burket
Josh-
ReplyDeleteWe haven't met but I went to high school with Lauren Denley. I read her post about prayers needed for little Ava and it touched my heart. As a mother of a 16 month old and 6 months pregnant, I will be seriously praying for Ava's recovery and for strength for you and your wife.
Thank you for sharing,
Caroline Trobough
My heart aches for you guys and yet at the same time rejoices in the strenth that you are showing. You are an amazing family and our prayers are with all of you. Thank you for allowing us to so personally stand with you in prayer and we have all confindence that God will use this for His ultimate glory.
ReplyDeletePraying always, Jenny and Brad Ridgway and family
Hi Josh-
ReplyDeleteI know I'm a complete stranger, but I have a 5 yr old too and my husband has been fighting for his life for 4 years now... all due to a spinal tap, the medical details of which obviously can't be adequately explained here. Please, please, please BEG the doctors to EXHAUST all other testing options before letting the doctors subject your daughter to a spinal tap.
I'm praying for your family and Ava. "Never underestimate my Jesus. When the world around you crumbles He will be strong, He will be strong."
Ashley
Josh, I found this out through our High School friends on Facebook. My best friend attends Issac's church and confirmed the situation. My family and I are praying for all of you. Doctors and nurses, included. I fully trust in Him to continue to give Ava the strength to pull through this. There is an army of people everywhere praying for you all and wanted to let you know. Thank you for having the strength to keep us updated.
ReplyDeleteOld Lyman student,
Christina Belessis