Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Met a stranger.

I went to lunch with my brother, Dr. Joel today. We were sitting there finishing our Mexican heart attacks on a plate when the server brought the bill. Dr. Joel had picked up the tab on this one and she handed him his card back and said, "Joel Hunter?" as lots of people in this town do when they see his name. He responded, "yes... I have a father by the same name you may know."

Most people then launch into some story about how they know Dad and what He has done for them or their friend or mother or cousin or whoever. The stories are nice to hear and really I never get tired of them. But, this lady was different. She didn't even flinch at the mention of Pops. She went on to ask about a brother of ours that is a minister "or something". She has a friend who goes to Summit. But, the conversation turned when Joel introduced me as his other brother. She asked, "now are you the one who recently lost your daughter?" This question is no longer foreign to me, so I politely said yes and thanked her for asking and caring. I really do think it's neat when people care enough to say something.

She eventually went on to talk about her sister, who opened the restaurant 28 years ago that had passed 2 years ago. She teared up a bit as she felt my pain and her own all in one fell swoop. I knew we had connected in a way that not everyone is capable of. She had followed Ava from afar and felt her story as she relived the pain of losing her sister 2 years ago. She talked of the reminders of seeing the restaurant she built everyday and the things her sister had written as she built the business from nothing. It was meaningful to me. She asked how I was doing and we chatted for a moment.

I have a new friend. I forget her name already, but it doesn't matter. It was a great reminder that so many around me walk around with broken parts of their lives every single day.

It was also a reminder that there is only one healer, only one who can make us whole again someday. His name is Jesus and he promises that following Him leads to eternal wholeness. He is the author and finisher of our faith.

I just remembered. Her name is Missy. And she is a friend.

17 comments:

  1. Thank you and bless you for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Josh -
    I prayed for you (again) this morning, but today I added Missy and included her in my prayers. We're not alone and your post made me wonder how many more friends we have that we've not yet met. In God's providence, HE makes them known to us at just the right time, in just the right way. I'm glad.
    God is good.
    I'm proud of you. Live strong.
    - Uncle Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had the experience of being known by someone else in my family, though not as well known as your dad. My mom was a teacher. When I was younger, her students would introduce their parents to us when we met at a store. As I grew older, they would introduce themselves. Later, they would introduce their children to Mom. And so on. I thought that was over, since Mom rarely shops for herself these days. Recently I was teaching a class of peers where I work, and one of them said, "Didn't you have a mother who taught school in...?" So, it never ends, and I don't mind, either, because she touched so many people through her work. Not a believer, but she loved teaching. Hoping that someday she will be. -M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Case family is still praying for you all every day. Especially thinking of you today because it is the Daddy Daughter dance. I remember the adorable picture of Ava from the dance last year. She must be dancing in heaven every day. Love, The Case Family

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice blog. I'm sure it is an encouragement to meet someone in person that your life has touched. Know that there are still many many "friends" lifting you and praying for you and your family on your journey. I think you may refer to your other brother and Dad as the "preacher" but I have to say that your blog has preached to me in many ways. S. Schutz

    ReplyDelete
  7. To post or not to post. Something I have wondered for months. Tonight I would say it is a yes. Gosh this is so personal and I so want to tread carefully with my words. I can't live this life we are living without letting you know that you are in my thougts every day. Every time I leave the AP parking lot I think of you. I don't mean to sound weird, but I am in the midst of our relapse fight with my daughter and it is really tough. You were prayed for so much during your journey and we encouraged you to be strong as we had fought a similar fight and wanted to provide you hope. We have been back in our fight since the week of Thanksgiving.

    Tomorrow is our third week of radiation- the halfway point. It feels like six months since we started this awful particular treatment. We have been through two heavy rounds of high dose chemo and will have more to go when the radiation is over. The decision we never wanted to make, but this time we didn't have to make regarding radiation as our daughter is 5, but there was no choice. We are going through stuff that is so tough and we just watch while our precious daughter is the one who has to endure terribly difficult treatment that has lasting consequences.

    I wish I had known about the brain tumor run, we would have been there in a heartbeat. I remember your comment abuot fundraising and how you were against it. This is going on for us as well and even though it is strange, so much good is coming out of it b/c people are aware of children's cancer and are doing great things b/c of it. It is not about the money, but recongizing that a child is fighting to beat this tumor and there is nothing she did to be in this situation. People have been amazingly supportive and really helped to make this situation bearable.

    Please forgive me if this seems offensive for me to say all of this. I have not posted anything for many months, but for some reason tonight I felt the desire to reach out. My heart still aches for you even though Ava is in Heaven. I have been reading the book Trusting God. I can't remember the author but I have found this to be one of the best sources to help me during this time. Out of all the Chrisitan books I have read this has given the most comfort and helped me to keep trusting how much God loves my child in the midst of this mess.

    The brain tumor community is small. I really feel like we need to support one another and once again if I could say or share anything that could help I would be so honored as you have done this for me when I read your blog. Love to your whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have many friends - including me. And we love you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have many friends - and we love you, including me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I pray for you and your family and think of you often, thank you for your blog. I think of Ava and how you must miss her and pray for you all and that our Lord may bless you with peace and lift you up with His grace. Know that your family has made such an impact on so many folks!!! Just writing to let you know you are thought of and prayed for and your story with Ava is spoken of often....May our Lord comfort you..C.Frazier

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Josh,
    I was so happy to finally meet you this past weekend at the 5k. Loved meeting your staff and brother yesterday. You office and the way it is designed really has a way of taking any one priviledged enough to sit there into "the woods". It was beautiful, serene, and just plain awesome! It was absolutely what I thought it would be and your staff were even more inviting and amazing than I could have asked for. Even though I was unable to get the Lasik done, I am so grateful for the time everyone gave to me. I hope to come back and have the procedure done (I hope by this summer). In the meantime I hope GOD continues to poor his blessings upon you,your family, and staff.Thanks for being you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. See the power of positive thinking within you. God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Josh.
    You have no idea who I am, and I randomly fell on your blog one day. I followed your story with Ava, and shortly after I began reading your story, my son was diagnosed with Leukemia. While my family has been on this journey for 4 months now, I too, have been blogging my life. And today while I was worshipping the Lord, you came to my mind. Your story and a few other, I feel, have prepared me for what I now face.

    Being on the other side, I keep telling God I want to know that what I am going through is making a difference for HIS name. That the suffering is not in vain.

    So, I wanted you to know, that your suffering has not been in vain. It changed my life. Thank you for sharing your life publicly for blog-stalkers like me can be touched.

    Thank you.

    Linda Quist

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blog is fantastic. I have checked in periodically since hearing of your daughter's story from a friend who attends Northland. I know your wife from saying "hi" at the RDV but she does not know me. She is really a beacon of light. Her poise and grace this past year gave me the strength to make it through my work-outs without crying after losing my pop to cancer last October after a very long hospital stay. Your entire family are inspirations. You have many friends, everywhere. Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your ‘peace’ seems effortless. Is that what it is?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Easter! God loves your family! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Josh,

    I know its been a while since you updated your blog. But i wanted to let you know that I haven't forgoten about you and your family and Ava. I think and pray for all of you daily. I hope you are doing well and are continuing to stay strong .

    Much love and God Bless to you and the rest of your family!!!

    ReplyDelete